Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #29

South Carolina has a statute where the State holds the construction company liable for all loose stone damage.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #30

I know commercial vehicles are required to have mud flaps down to 8 inches off pavement, I thought that was the purpose of the sweep, to comply with the law.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
I know commercial vehicles are required to have mud flaps down to 8 inches off pavement, I thought that was the purpose of the sweep, to comply with the law.

That was a question on my test for Texas Class B license. The requirement is actually based on having 4 or more wheels on rear axle.

I would rather leave it on and get it adjusted to the proper height to mitigate rock slinging.

Perhaps someone who has it adjusted to the correct height could share the measurement from ground.

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well today went through construction zone littered with stones in West Texas and my brand new pick up is now covered with pock marks from stones...the plastic bumper the metal bumber the headlights the edge of the hood...it's painful. I never had an issue before with my 2014 for 3 years. I will contact my insurance and see what they say. I'm guessing 2 to 3 grand to fix.

Rogelling, sounds like I-15 in Idaho on way to Big Sky. There was a 3 mile stretch of gravel. Gravel did $6,500 damage to my new Jeep toad with 800 miles on it, including breaking the windshield, and $5,000 to back of coach. On way down from Glacier on US 93 got into another section in Idaho they were graveling. Slowed down to a crawl going down slope and some guy passed me doing about 60 and cut back in and popped my windshield. That will be a $3,000 plus insurance item! Rocks were not kind to us this summer! Rear AC conked out about time of windshield. I finally got that thing replaced about 10 days ago. Good to see you at Big Sky! sorry we didn't have time to visit. Won't be at Vegas. Having a hip replacement in October.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I think you're right Gene mine is too low. And the thing is this particular construction zone was littered with stones that were between 1/2 to 3/4 inches! Lesson learned. Does anyone know if insurance covers damage when towing?
Roger, your comprehensive on the coach will cover damage to the coach. Comprehensive on tow vehicle will cover stone damage to your tow vehicle! Trust me! I know.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
Roger, your comprehensive on the coach will cover damage to the coach. Comprehensive on tow vehicle will cover stone damage to your tow vehicle! Trust me! I know.
Dave so good to hear from you dude. We're now home in Boerne got the coach to negotiate my driveway. I don't feel so bad about my pickup since you and others have been there before. I'm guessing pickup is about 7 to 8 grand. The coach has a bunch of small chips on rear cap. Will let Entegra paint those.

Having cataract surgery myself in Dallas next month.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So under these conditions, construction gravel/rocks on the road, it would be best to pull over and unhook the toad and drive it separate from the MH through the construction?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
The original owner took off the "Ad Flap" he told me do to rocks/debris flying and TOAD problems, he added a 16" flap across the back of the Coach..........I had problems with a really dirty engine/battery compartment's.......the flap made a wall per say back there.......and was a trap with dirt/dust being trapped ......so when I set my Coach up for towing, I cut the rear flap down to work with a Protect-A -Tow.........now the rear is sealed right off to my Jeep.........works wonderful and the Jeep and the rear of the Coach sure stay a lot cleaner, and also the engine/battery compartments are a lot cleaner..............especially when driving in the rain........rear camera use to blur out while driving in the rain, now it does not.
Look here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/toad-...ng-145090.html at post #8.........
Just an idea for those looking to make a change........
Old 09-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Dave so good to hear from you dude. We're now home in Boerne got the coach to negotiate my driveway. I don't feel so bad about my pickup since you and others have been there before. I'm guessing pickup is about 7 to 8 grand. The coach has a bunch of small chips on rear cap. Will let Entegra paint those.

Having cataract surgery myself in Dallas next month.
Roger, Integra won't repaint. I checked and there is another shop in the area they send repair work to but it is not the same shop that painted the coach originally. I discussed all of these issues with Joyce.

After some searching and research, the only place I could find that works with Siikens Paint, Has experience painting graphics on large vehicles, and a paint booth big enough to put a 45' coach in in Texas was Extreme Paint and Graphics in Nacogdoches. These guys previously did all of the coach painting for Foretravel. They meet all of the criteria. Check their web site. They are booked solid through Christmas. Earliest I could get coach in is end of January 2017.

My wife and I have had cataract surgery in both eyes. Pretty much a non-event. Glad you made it home without further problems. Wereturned 8/17 and I finally got my Jeep repairs from the rock and picked it up last Wednesday.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
How far off the ground is it after raising, air bags full at riding height?
I think the most important aspect about this thread is how high off the ground should the mud flaps be at ride height be? Has the answer to this been made yet?
Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #39

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedenesha View Post
I think the most important aspect about this thread is how high off the ground should the mud flaps be at ride height be? Has the answer to this been made yet?
I don't have my Ad Flap installed presently as we are rolling down the Alaska Highway towards home. When I reinstall mine I'm going to measure the height from the eye bolts to the ground when my air bags are deflated. Then I will add two inches to that measurement and that is where I will adjust my mud flaps and Ad Flap. Don't know if this will work or not but that is where I am going to start. I feel if I get it adjusted correctly it will be an aid in preventing rock chips. Any thoughts on this theory from you experienced gentlemen?
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Folks the answer is simple. I bought a Protect-a-Tow in Nov 2011 when I bought my 2011 CR-V. There is not one ding on the CR-V and the back of the MH does stay cleaner. Word of caution on those "Toad Protectors" that block stuff from damaging the Toad. Rocks bounce off that Protector and ding the back of your MH. A friend from Alaska found out the hard way a few years ago on his Tiffin, Red Bay repaired back of the MH.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #41

Spartan Chassis
I agree that Protect-A-Tow is an excellent product. I have used one for the past four years, BUT, not everyone can use them. Some of the diesels have their exhaust in a location that will melt the screen.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:41 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I agree that Protect-A-Tow is an excellent product. I have used one for the past four years, BUT, not everyone can use them. Some of the diesels have their exhaust in a location that will melt the screen.
When I installed mine, my exhaust use to point down, loosened the tail pipe up, turned it facing out the passenger side.......
The tail pipe use to blow up a lot of dust in campgrounds/resorts, now that stopped also and has not hurt the protect A tow.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06701.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	140315  

Tags
toad