RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mudflap protection

Hi all - we are the excited new owners of a 2010 Anthem. In backing into our driveway today we drug our beautiful shiny mudflap about 1/2 way up the hill. Obviously this won't work as it won't stay shiny very long if we continue that. So, what say you experts? Has anyone else encountered this problem and how did you solve it?

John and Gay Hinshaw

seahawkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

I can see that you might drag the mud flap as you back up from a street over a curb or driveway, but once over the curb, if your coach is at ride height, your flap should be well above the driveway and not dragging.

The first thing that comes to mind is that your coach is not at ride height when you do that. The second thing that comes to mind is that your flap is too low (mounted too close to the pavement). Many owners have had problems with dragging their flap going forward and have raised its placement to provide more clearance.

Someone else will be able to tell you where the bottom of your coach flap should be when you are at “ride height”.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkiii View Post
Hi all - we are the excited new owners of a 2010 Anthem. In backing into our driveway today we drug our beautiful shiny mudflap about 1/2 way up the hill. Obviously this won't work as it won't stay shiny very long if we continue that. So, what say you experts? Has anyone else encountered this problem and how did you solve it?

John and Gay Hinshaw
Congratulations on owning one of the very first Entegras!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Many threads re removing flap and experiencing less stone chips on toads.
I took mine off but do have good flaps right behind rear wheels.
At min I would raise it so it clears ground by about 8" at ride ht. If still a problem but only in driveway and want to keep it on... fasten a cord or wire and pull it up before backing in.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #5

I have the same problem backing into my driveway. Its at ride height its just a steep incline. So I use an extension cord (yes it sounds backwoods but it works). I wrap it around the flap and tie it off on the tow hitch. It works for me.
Slambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #6

As mentioned, see if you can remove a link from the chain suspending the mud flap.

Second, do not use the Tag Dump AUTO feature unless you need to make a tight turn. Disabling the tag dump AUTO (simply leaving the switch OFF) will keep the tag air bags inflated, raising the rear a little compared to when they are dumped.

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Second, do not use the Tag Dump AUTO feature unless you need to make a tight turn. Disabling the tag dump AUTO (simply leaving the switch OFF) will keep the tag air bags inflated, raising the rear a little compared to when they are dumped.

-Matt
I doubt he has the ability to disable the dump. On my Aspire (2015) I still had the two-position switch, and it meant that I could never back up without dumping the tag. I had a service place I could not enter, because it required that I back down a hill and then up into the driveway.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I took mine off but do have good flaps right behind rear wheels.
Where/how did you get flaps installed. I'd like to do that. It's so hard to get anything done here in CA....
Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Where/how did you get flaps installed. I'd like to do that. It's so hard to get anything done here in CA....
Mine came w tire mudflaps all around.
I installed an additional one ahead of entry steps to keep road spray off the steps. Noticed I need to add one between step and front R tire. I still get some dirt & spray on the steps.
I buy them at NAPA and DIY.
I would think any decent truck shop could do straight forward mechanical stuff like that if you are not into DIY.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Installed ones on my coach last year. 18X24 for the front wheels and 24X24 for the rear behind the tag. Install an 1” or so off of the ground with the chassis air dumped. Works great.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Installed ones on my coach last year. 18X24 for the front wheels and 24X24 for the rear behind the tag. Install an 1” or so off of the ground with the chassis air dumped. Works great.

Don,
That's what I did in our coach. Got the front ones a little to long as they hit the ground when the air was dumped. So I cut some off the bottom.
Not sure why Entegra doesn't install these. Newmar installs them on their coaches. Just another mod we need to do I guess as Entegra owners.
I think the mud / stone guards are more effective just behind the wheels rather than across the rear.

Less chance of dragging and damaging them just behind the wheels.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you!!

I want to thank all who offered advice. I think I'm going to shorten the chains that hold the flap and see what happens. I can also tether the flap back as was suggested and that's certainly plausible. I can't disable the tag dump when in reverse gear in our coach and at this point not interested in modifying the existing system. My tag dump switch is either off or on and the reverse dump is automatic. Cannot be disabled.

One poster mentioned that there's evidence that completely removing the flap will lessen the rock damage to our toad but so far I guess we've been pretty lucky over the years with rock damage. I'd like to read more about the wisdom of doing this.

Thank you again - I've learned so much from others on this website and this further supports my respect for a fantastic bunch.

John
seahawkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #13

Mudflap protection

We have signed up for a 48 day Alaska tour and after much research have opted to acquire the "Alaska Pack" system by Roadmaster.
I am still debating mudlfaps behind the tag axle and raising the existing mudlfap but believe the Alaska Pack system (both the screen and guard for the jeep) as well as a windshield protector by Camco will go a long way in protecting the toad.
Hope springs eternal.
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #14

I towed my Honda CR-V for three years behind my Anthem, and got no one rock thrown or ding on my Honda front surface or windshield. With my Dynasty, I did have the coach throw one rock which broke the glass of one of my front turn signal/marker lights on the Honda.

My opinion is that if the rear flap is adjusted correctly, it does not create a problem of damage to the toad for any "normal and reasonable highway".

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote