Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Nav System Update

When we start our Nav System now, it tells us that we need to update. Going on line I find that they want $100 for an update and...I can't figure out how to do it. Has anyone done this? If so, can you walk me through it? Also, is it worth it or would Rand McNally or Garmin (or others) be a better choice? Thanks in advance
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Stew

I called RiverPark about a nav upgrade for my 13 Aspire. Some of the early 2013 year Entegras (like mine-Aug production date) have a nav radio that cannot be upgraded to the Rand McNally software if you are considering that. There was a post last summer about how to figure out if you can do that. If you have the older radio, I'm sure they still sell some kind of update. I think the new Entegras have lifetime updates.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #3

Our nav system came up with an "update needed" . We can't figure out how to do the update either. Will try to contact Xite this week. May contact Entegra customer service for a number and name.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My last update of Microsoft Streets and Trips (A brand new install of the 2013 version) was 67 dollars and came with a GPS dongle so it works as I want instead of the old external Garmin "Front end" I used to use (the RS-232 adapters kept crashing the computer.

Today.. I use two NAV-systems. the other is Google Maps on my smart phone, self updating, No charge. Im fairly impressed with G-maps. they do give some bad instrucitons, from time to time (Remember teh commercial where the GPS says Turn Right so teh driver does, right into a flower shop and the GPS goes on "In 800 Feet".

Well it turned me on the wrong road once and tried to tell me to turn off the road twice,, (Same corner) but the map was dead on and when I got on the wrong road it let me know pronto. Im kind of impressed with it. Plus.. It is nearly always with me.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbersdad View Post
When we start our Nav System now, it tells us that we need to update. Going on line I find that they want $100 for an update and...I can't figure out how to do it. Has anyone done this? If so, can you walk me through it? Also, is it worth it or would Rand McNally or Garmin (or others) be a better choice? Thanks in advance
Can't help you with the first question but can say that I don't rely on my dash nav. I also have a Garmin DEZL 760 that I use primarily. I always plan my routes in advance, checking suitability for a big rig, low clearances, availability of fuel, etc. Based on my research I then program the route into my Garmin. If it wants to direct me differently, I'll program waypoints that keep me on target. May seem like a lot of extra work but it works for me. Besides, I have fun planning routes - must be the old pilot in me.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I do the same thing, but I use a rand McNally 7720. I do my pre-planning with MS Streets and Trips which is fast and simple to use, very intuitive. Often the GPS wants to route me by an inappropriate route, so I use waypoints to force it to use the route I have chosen on S&T.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
I also have a Garmin DEZL 760 that I use primarily. I always plan my routes in advance, checking suitability for a big rig, low clearances, availability of fuel, etc.
Does the software you are using upload directly into your DEZL? If so what software are you using?

The traveling world wants to know.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Does the software you are using upload directly into your DEZL? If so what software are you using?

The traveling world wants to know.
Actually I don't use planning software but I've heard of people uploading routes from such programs. Try a search in the Technologies forum here in iRV2 and I get you will find your answer.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

To cobbersdad, I just updated my nav. Aspire 2013. Web site is naviextra.com and select your devise. Register to the site and download the navi tool box. It's windows system only. Take your SD card out of bottom of nav screen and plug into computer and open your navi tool box and once the card is registered and then you log in, then follow prompts. I just had it do a software update but the web site gives other options for full map update and extras. Have to pay for those. My goal was to get rid of the update device prompt when I'm driving. PM if you need help.

Keith
Keith W is offline   Reply With Quote