Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Texas DMV wanted an air brake check just like the commercial DL manual. I didn't have to describe the air brake system like OTR drivers do.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
I took my test in Clinton NC really surprised me how easy it was. Studied from cdl book, they did not give me which chapters, so studied all of book except hasmat. It had been so long since I took a test a carried two #2 sharpened pencils. They said go to computers and I said WHAT. Easy at this location on this day.
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
There is no difference in the air braking systems, air brakes are air brakes no matter what they are on, as posted just the level of knowledge needed is tested depending on what License you are going to test for.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
This is great info - thanks. The one thing I haven't been able to find out is what is the process they want you to go through for the air brake check? Our Yorkie and I share similar mechanical skills.

Thanks
I was just required to show how to check the air system for normal operating pressure and perform the bleed down check to show the alarm functioning when the pressure drops below the minumum.
It should be spelled out in your coach manual or in the CDL study guide.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
In Pennsylvania they require a non-commercial class B lisc if the rig weighs over 26,000lbs. You can get a permit good for one year for $5.00 at any Pa Testing center. You then need to have someone with you that has a equivalent or better lisc when you go in for testing with the rig. Of course you need owners card, permit and insurance card as does the driver you brought with you. They are very picky about air-brakes as well as a pre-drive inspection of rig, lights, horn, signals, air pressure of tires etc. My buddy failed his test and never got out of the lot as he didn't know all the testing procedures for the air-brakes. I did about a 25+ mile drive with the testor that consisted of residential, country roads as well as interstate. I did not have to back up as there was nowhere at the testing facility to do so. It is my understanding that most big-rig owners are not properly lisc. I do not know what would happen should you have a collision without the proper lisc. - I would bet the insurance company could have a issue with this. I have done my test and my wife has a permit so she can drive with me in the rig. She will do her testing soon. I felt the test was done well in Pa. It gave me reasonable confidence in the state and their procedure. John
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
OWV

Truth be told, it makes sense that someone driving a 60,000lb bus would need to demonstrate that they know something about it and how to drive it. As someone posted in an earlier thread, however, it would be nice to know what happens if you flunk the road test. Is the permit still good? On a related note, can anyone recommend good driving schools, particularly in FL?

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Aspire, 44U, on order
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #21

Current School Locations
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
On a related note, can anyone recommend good driving schools, particularly in FL?

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Aspire, 44U, on order
Lasy Days has an excellent one and the DW has agreed to take it while we are there picking up the Anthem. I am going to sit in with her....I might even pick up a trick or two.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck is correct. We took the LD course in Tucson. OK for me, but great for her and they even provided the rig to drive. We also are looking forward to the Spartan course when we go the "the Academy" in June.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbersdad View Post
Chuck is correct. We took the LD course in Tucson. OK for me, but great for her and they even provided the rig to drive. We also are looking forward to the Spartan course when we go the "the Academy" in June.
Both are very good. They focus on a few different things. DW still brags about passing them
Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #25

If any NC people need someone with an active Class B non CDL for company to a test...I live in Dare County (quite east) but will be going to Raleigh (Wake County) twice a week....and it would be my pleasure to help out another one to get this license. (trust me , not even the DMV knows for sure but I covered myself anyway, just in case.)
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I too got my class B non cdl this past Sept.
The air brake test is as described in the CDL manual. You can get the booklet at the DMV or read it online at ncdmv.gov .

If you fail you can retest x amount of times in the time that your permit is good for. This is in the manual.

I took my test at Kannapolis DMV , the examiners did not care how I got to the facility & did not ask. They told me prior to taking my driven road test not to worry about it. This doesn't mean all offices do this. I will deny this if ever asked for the sake of the examiners. Take your chance , or just ask. They also never gave me a permit, just told me to come back on a Tues morning & be one of the first in line & they would take care of me. They did. Basic questions on lights, horn, wipers, ect then demostrate & explain how to check for proper air brake operation from the drivers point. I did get out of the coach & install wheel chocks prior to performing the air brake test. I also purchased the required road flares. I was never asked if I had them. Did a 5-7 mile drive on city & county roads. Backed vehicle up apprx 100', parked on side of road at the DMV & shutdown. Passed.

I too could be available to ride along if anyone needs a lic driver/rider. It's possible if you live near an airport that USAirways fly to & want to pick me up & return me I could come to a city near you. No cost to you.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
When I took my Texas Class B driving test a couple months ago. I was warned in advance to chock my wheels before the brake check so did when I got there, before the examiner came out. The examiner expected it and made sure they were in place. Didn't care which wheels but they had to be there.

The examiner did a complete light check. I discovered I had no idea where my flasher switch was. I flashed my courtesy lights when she was in the back and hit all kinds of switches when she was in the front, I don't know what she saw in the front but she was satisfied. I found the flasher switch after she left the coach; its on the aft side on the steering column not far below the steering wheel.

BTW, I had to back 100' and parallel park. I told her it would be the last time I ever parallel park, that if the only place to park was parallel I would go somewhere else! She agreed.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Just to add my recent experience.
I bought my MH before realizing that I needed a different license for my home state of NC. I went back to the DMV office where I had just a couple of months earlier gotten NC class C license after moving from FL.
I was given the CDL test guide to study for the written (computer) test and told to study the General area and the section on air brakes. I took the test shortly afterward and scheduled my driving test.
The driving test consisted of the usual safety checks, i.e. lights wipers, horn, brakes (to include the air brake check) etc. We then drove thru my small home town, out into the country and back to the DMV office. I had to back up appx 100', but was not required to parallel park.
That was it! It was actually a rather pleasant experience, and the license examiner gave me a few tips on RV parks in NC and SC.
As I was leaving, someone waiting in the office began to tell me how he had been driving a MH for years in NC without a class B license and how he didn't think it should be required, etc, blah, blah. I just smiled and told him to have a nice day.
If he has been driving MHs for a while. I understand his statement. The Class B for MHs in NC is a relatively new law. Not more than 3 or 4 years old. He may not know about it yet. As it has not made the news much. And even then. If it weighs less than 26000lb. A class C is all that is needed.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote