Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #1

Need opinions regarding inverter upgrade

Hello again. I am planning on upgrading to the Total Vision rear camera system and will have the coach over to the shop next week. While it is there, I started wondering if upgrading my 2000 W inverter to a 3000 W inverter would be any good. I see that the new CS has 2, 3000 W inverters. The main questions are, what is the advantage, and, is it worth it?
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #2

If I was upgrading I would get the Magnum Hybrid Series 3000. Read Cruzer's review on the advantages of the hybrid.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

You might explore if you can keep your current unit and add another for more power.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fred.... Where are you having the installation done? I like the "Total Vision" rear camera system. Wondering, how is the night vision? The system in my coach is terrible!
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The upgrade from an MS2012 to an MSH3012 is fairly straight forward. They are the same physical size so it's a pretty easy swap, although they are heavy so you'll be doing some bench pressing to get it up into the rack.

If your 2KW is dog its job you won't really see any benefit to the 3KW. If your 2KW is falling short, then that would be a reason to do the upgrade. The hybrid MSH3012 differs from a 2,800 watt MS2812, mainly in the transfer switch. All inverters have a transfer switch that switches between incoming shore or generator power or power created in the inverter from the batteries. Just like in your main transfer switch, it's an either or situation. But the hybrid inverter allows the inverter to add to the incoming shore power to compound the output. That is particularly helpful if on a 30 amp shore power feed. The EMS will detect excess demand above the 30 amps and shed circuits. A typical example is that you switch on the microwave for a minute or two and an air conditioner shuts off to prevent tripping the pedestal breaker. With the Magnum hybrid the inverter can kick in to power the microwave without shutting down the air conditioner. However, to make this happen you need to input logic from the EMS and the EMS system that Entegra uses (up through 2016 anyway) won't do that so you'll never see the hybrid function kick in. When I installed the MSH3012 in our last coach I also added Precision Circuits' PCS energy management system and had it programmed to control the inverter's hybrid functions. Unfortunately you can't do that in an Entegra because of the dual fuse panels that won't adapt to the PCS system.

However, if you just need extra power and ignore the hybrid portion the MSH3012 is a good inverter. It produces a good clean true sine wave throughout the entire wattage range unlike the Xantrex which drops off at high output levels and becomes more of a modified sine wave.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
You might explore if you can keep your current unit and add another for more power.
He already has two inverters. Adding a third would be way too complex and non-productive.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHutting View Post
Fred.... Where are you having the installation done? I like the "Total Vision" rear camera system. Wondering, how is the night vision? The system in my coach is terrible!

I'm having this done with other cosmetic mods at OneXtreme shop, east of LA. I'm sure the Total Vision is a massive improvement over what we have, day or night. Cruzer has it.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #8

Thanks Cruzer. I think it probably won't add much to my needs, as I rarely plug in to 30 A service.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The Total Vision Camera is a great system. The original camera that came on our 2016 was terrible, even more so at night. I installed the Total Vision system in our coach shortly after getting it after I road tested a Foretravel that had that system and knew that was the camera I needed to have. Shortly thereafter I attended an FMCA convention at Indy and found out Tadd had driven a Cornerstone up to the exhibit. I asked him how he likes the camera and he told me he hated it. I set him up and made the connections with Rod at Total Vision and the ball began rolling to install them into Entegra Coaches.

You'll like the Total Vision camera, especially the ability to motorize the camera. In one instance I was stuck in a Flying J fuel lane where the guy ahead of me just wasn't coming back to his coach and after waiting forever to get out of the lane after refueling I decided to back up with the Jeep still connected. By motoring the camera between the hitch view and where I was going I was able to back completely out of the stall without jackknifing the towbar. I made it about 75' back until it started to pivot on me so I pulled ahead 10' and backed up another 30' to make a sweeping U turn and get out of the area. That would never have happened with any other camera.

One other cool piece of trivia. When driving at night with the accent lights on the illuminated red Entegra trim on the back of the coach reflects perfectly on my flat Jeep Wrangler's windshield. lt says Entegra right in the middle of the windshield and the letters aren't even reversed. Not exactly a major reason to buy this system but an interesting effect nonetheless.

Tags
inverter, upgrade