Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nest Thermostat Install

Hi all, has anyone in this group successfully installed a Nest Thermostat in their Entegra ? I’m aware of the 24v requirement, that’s easy.
I am intrigued with the flexibility it offers.

I have this current thermostat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	191272
John Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The nest can only handle one zone per thermostat unless you use a zone control module. Same goes for remote temp sensing for multiple zones. So you would either need one nest for every zone plus a 12v to 24v going to the nest and then a 24v to 12v for each wire going to the ac and furnaces - or you have to integrate it with an aftermarket zone control module. Can be done, just a lot of work to get it integrated.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

I have been wanting to do that same thing and run it through Alexa for a year now. Kind of quite and got frustrated when people said can't be done lol. Wish a person could operate lights to. Thanks for bringing it up again.
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 AM   #4

Be very careful with the Nest. They supply no user manual and there is none on line either. They have tech articles you can find on their site but only if you know what your looking for.

I had a very bad and costly experience with their thermostat. I put one in a vacation home so I could monitor the temp over the winter and turn the heat back on in spring. The house is completely drained and shut down.

The unit has 3 settings,HEAT,AC and OFF.
When leaving I set the thermostat to OFF and verified it on the app and watched the house temp drop for 3 weeks until the thermostat went OFFLINE. About 1 month later it came back online after an apparent electrical outage. It was -15º outside and 50º in the house with the heat running. The app still showed OFF. I called them and they said I must have ECO on. I said the heat is OFF. Hidden in their smart unit is a setting that keeps your heat at 50º even when the heat is set to OFF. A few days later the heat is running again, this time at 40º. I call them again and am now told there is a freeze protection built in. At that point I totally lost it and asked what the ---- does OFF mean to you people. About 2 weeks later it went OFFLINE again.
I used several hundred gallons of fuel oil to heat a house in sub zero weather because of the ridiculous hidden settings in the Nest.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
az99, we have the Honeywell version of the Nest and they are flawed as well. 99% of the time they are great. However if power is lost along with internet connection for a period of time like a hurricane, my modem did not reconnect, leaving everything down.
My house watcher is internet challenge so I had no way of resetting the modem. I had no thermostat, security cameras, DISH anywhere or any of the internet dependent travel items that have been added to the S&B. The internet items are great until the internet connection is lost, then it's back to analog until someone can reset everything. I learned that one the hard way.

My security cameras never did comeback online and had to be upgraded. I think the base station took a power surge during the storm.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

I have the Lux thermostats in another place.They have their issues also but don't have all the hidden B'S that the Nest has . I would not put either in an RV.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I have the Lux thermostats in another place.They have their issues also but don't have all the hidden B'S that the Nest has . I would not put either in an RV.
I agree, the internet devices are great if you are in the area to reset them. But for long range reliability, they leave room for improvement, with no instructions, it's hard to leave them with someone to reset them for you, or in your case no "off" which doesn't make sense.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #8

My work is mostly computer systems security. I won't have a NEST in my home, nor any other 'smart' Internet-connected device. Alexa? No thanks.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #9

The biggest issue I see is the fact that Nest/Honeywell/Pick one . are not going to have the intelligence to swap between the multiple sources available in the RV. You have a propane Aquahot, so your thermostat has to be set on gas to use the floor registers for heat and on electric to use the heat pumps. How would you do that in a Nest or any traditional home thermostat?

I agree I would love to have some automation in the RV but I do not see the industry going that direction.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Also, besides it's uniqueness in what it controls, you will find the Airxcel/RVP/Coleman thermostat uses a proprietary CAN buss type network connection to communicate with the AC units and won't be compatible with anything else. It's possible it uses some form of the RV-C protocol but I don't really know.

In any case, I know of someone that reverse engineered that communication and built a microcontroller based IOT type system coupled with a cloud based server that allowed controlling the cool and heat via the RVP thermostat from a smartphone app. It was also capable of controlling lights and other functions. I had a prototype of the thermostat module installed on my 2013 Aspire and it was pretty awesome. It was plug and play hardware that didn't replace the thermostat, just added remote functionality to it.

Unfortunately that was about 3 years ago, there apparently have been some roadblocks getting this stuff to market, although last I heard (about 6 months ago) the developer had obtained FCC approval for some of his components.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gosh this is way to complicated lol. I would never have guessed it’s this involved! I appreciate all the feedback guys.
John Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #12

Lol ya I would just like something different then going in the bathroom and page through display to set temp or system . Guess I'm just being picky lol
Old 02-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #13

Dang it!! I kill this thread to, lol I'll stay out of it!! [emoji11]

Tags
install, thermostat