Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #99

Entegra Owners Club
You can meet the reflector compliance issue without changing out the marker lights. There are a number of reflectors out there that would work.
If you read Entegra's doc on this you lose the mid coach turn signal. I personally think that's a mistake.
I plan to meet the requirement, just not the way Entegra has outlined.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #100

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with you Richard. I've been looking at stick on reflectors, maybe one in the middle of the coach, inline with the marker lights. I just haven't found one close to the shape of our existing lights. Please keep us advised what you fine out there.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
Richard, did you happen to see if you could find a manufacture for the lights on your newer model? I would like to see of I can find the stock replacement with a reflector lens.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #102

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Richard, did you happen to see if you could find a manufacture for the lights on your newer model? I would like to see of I can find the stock replacement with a reflector lens.

Chuck, I did notice on the recall doc that the replacement lights had "command" stamped on them.
They have a web site but I could not find any similar lights there.
When I get home today I'll check and see if there is a name on my side marker lights.

I went through several pages of lights on the web yesterday but didn't find anything I felt suitable for what we need. In fact there were only maybe two that were a combination marker / turn signal with reflector.

I wondering if that's Entegra ran into?

I waiting to hear back from Entegra on the email I send. Will post their response.

Richard
Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #103

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3509 View Post
I agree with you Richard. I've been looking at stick on reflectors, maybe one in the middle of the coach, inline with the marker lights. I just haven't found one close to the shape of our existing lights. Please keep us advised what you fine out there.

Harold,
Check this site out, perhaps you'll find reflectors you like here.

Richard

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Reflectors
Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Harold,
Check this site out, perhaps you'll find reflectors you like here.

Richard

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Reflectors
I'm just going to slap 6 of these on:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...son/B484A.html
Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #105

I just pulled one of our side marker/turn signal lights off our 2017.

This is the number on both the red and amber lens:

SAE DOT P2 13

If you look at this chart of what the numbers mean, this is probably not the correct lens for our length and width vehicle.

SAE Lighting Identification Codes - Grote Industries

I haven't gone through the list to figure out what we need but the answer is in this matrix.

The hole spacing on the current lights looks to be 3-7/8".
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #106

Keep in mind, this is a federally mandated recall. In my case the coach is in the shop for warranty work (not related to this recall) but this recall is going to be preformed even though I request that it not be. Just being provided the parts does not meet the requirements of the recall. It most be preformed according my service writer per Entegra.

In searching for replacement LED lights, the biggest problem in finding replacement lights is most of the manufactures will only say DOT approved or MMVSS 108 compliant, but most do not say which of the SAE regulations they are meeting. My guess is the current lights only meet the SAE P2 requirements and not the SAE A requirement. (ie the reason for the recall). Most of the lights that I have found and like as potential replacements are only SAE P2 compliant lights.

The replacement light in the recall, I am sure is meets the SAE A/P2 requirements. But it is a different size and shape (ie the reason for the backer plates for the existing 6 side positions). Finding a SAE P2 light is easy. Finding a LED SAE A/P2 light is doable but more difficult. Find a LED SAE A/P2 light that is multifunction (Turn or Stop/Brake functions) is damn near impossible. Especially if looking for something as a similar replacement (size & shape) for what already exists on the coach.

What I have found that is multifunction SAE A/P2 is more than likely going to require a body modification so that you can change from a surface mounted light to body inserted light. Any surface mounted light all seem to stand out around one inch from the surface/body of the coach. Problem is the choices/options are limited.

I see 3 options on the side lights and being compliant. 1. Accept the loss of the turn signals with Entegra's fix. 2. Add a 2nd light to each position for the flash or turn signal. 3. Use relays to detect the use of turn signals and turn the lights on/off with the flashing of the turn signals.

Unless I or somebody else stumbles across a compliant light that will do turn signals, I will go with the 3rd option. I will build a 2 relay pigtail that will plug in between the factory harness plug and the plug for the light. In the end, it will be a simple plug & play modification that can be returned to stock if the need ever arrises since none of the factory wiring will not be modified.

My biggest issue is the addition of the 2 new rear lights. This does require a body modification. Once they drill a hole in the rear body cap this turns into a real PIA to fix once the current lighting is fixed to compliance. I have asked my dealer if it is acceptable to install a SAE A compliant reflector instead of the light in the recall. If I can install the reflector with using some 3M double sided tape the with some luck the reflector can be removed without damaging the coaches finish once I find and fix the existing rear lights so that they are completely compliant.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Chuck, I did notice on the recall doc that the replacement lights had "command" stamped on them.
They have a web site but I could not find any similar lights there.
When I get home today I'll check and see if there is a name on my side marker lights.

I went through several pages of lights on the web yesterday but didn't find anything I felt suitable for what we need. In fact there were only maybe two that were a combination marker / turn signal with reflector.

I wondering if that's Entegra ran into?

I waiting to hear back from Entegra on the email I send. Will post their response.

Richard
The part number on the back of the red rear side light is:

NOR14 L14-0108R 1015
Made in Taiwan

A google search takes you to:

https://www.kaperii.com/lighting

I can't find that L14-0108R 1015 on their website but I did find the 2 wire version on page 25 of the catalog under a different number and the hole pattern matches up.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #108

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
Keep in mind, this is a federally mandated recall. In my case the coach is in the shop for warranty work (not related to this recall) but this recall is going to be preformed even though I request that it not be. Just being provided the parts does not meet the requirements of the recall. It most be preformed according my service writer per Entegra.

In searching for replacement LED lights, the biggest problem in finding replacement lights is most of the manufactures will only say DOT approved or MMVSS 108 compliant, but most do not say which of the SAE regulations they are meeting. My guess is the current lights only meet the SAE P2 requirements and not the SAE A requirement. (ie the reason for the recall). Most of the lights that I have found and like as potential replacements are only SAE P2 compliant lights.

The replacement light in the recall, I am sure is meets the SAE A/P2 requirements. But it is a different size and shape (ie the reason for the backer plates for the existing 6 side positions). Finding a SAE P2 light is easy. Finding a LED SAE A/P2 light is doable but more difficult. Find a LED SAE A/P2 light that is multifunction (Turn or Stop/Brake functions) is damn near impossible. Especially if looking for something as a similar replacement (size & shape) for what already exists on the coach.

What I have found that is multifunction SAE A/P2 is more than likely going to require a body modification so that you can change from a surface mounted light to body inserted light. Any surface mounted light all seem to stand out around one inch from the surface/body of the coach. Problem is the choices/options are limited.

I see 3 options on the side lights and being compliant. 1. Accept the loss of the turn signals with Entegra's fix. 2. Add a 2nd light to each position for the flash or turn signal. 3. Use relays to detect the use of turn signals and turn the lights on/off with the flashing of the turn signals.

Unless I or somebody else stumbles across a compliant light that will do turn signals, I will go with the 3rd option. I will build a 2 relay pigtail that will plug in between the factory harness plug and the plug for the light. In the end, it will be a simple plug & play modification that can be returned to stock if the need ever arrises since none of the factory wiring will not be modified.

My biggest issue is the addition of the 2 new rear lights. This does require a body modification. Once they drill a hole in the rear body cap this turns into a real PIA to fix once the current lighting is fixed to compliance. I have asked my dealer if it is acceptable to install a SAE A compliant reflector instead of the light in the recall. If I can install the reflector with using some 3M double sided tape the with some luck the reflector can be removed without damaging the coaches finish once I find and fix the existing rear lights so that they are completely compliant.

RickWhite,

I agree finding a marker light that is a combination marker/ turn signal that meets the reflector requirements is next to impossible other than the ones you described where it requires a cut out in the body.
I don't see any reason why reflectors wouldn't meet the requirement. On our commercial vehicles none of the lights on the cargo tanks have reflector value. So reflectors our used to meet the requirements.
These tank are DOT 406 certified too haul hazardous material.(Gasoline)

Richard
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #109

This looks like the ones they are installing in the recall.

K-51/K-52: NEW LED CLEARANCE LIGHTS — Command Electronics

Comes in Red or Amber with optional chrome ring.

I think we all need to copy Gasman's letter to EC and send emails to all of our contacts at Entegra. Maybe even to the NHSTA as its creating a safety issue for all of us.

Good morning Don,

After reading the installation doc concerning this recall I have a concern.

The instructions state the mid coach marker light, the one in front of the rear axle will no longer be a turn signal.

After looking at the replacement lights and wiring for the front and rear markers it appears these locations will not have turn signal function either, only showing two wires. Need a three wire light to be dual function.

Losing the mid coach marker as a turn signal to me is a safety issue.
Compound this with no side turn signal at all is a major safety issue.
Don it is important for us as driver's of these coaches to let other drivers know our intentions.

This recall clearly takes our abilities to communicate our intentions to turn or change lanes away from us.

Please communicate this to those who make decisions on this recall.

I will not have the recall preformed on our coach as outline in the doc. do to the safety issue.

I will meet the reflection requirements by others means.

Again I strongly believe this recall as outlined in the doc will put the safe operation of these coaches in jeopardy.

Best regards,
Old 01-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #110

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Mike,

Those lights appear to be marker only. I'm anxious to hear from someone that has had the recall completed and see what side markers are also turn signals after the recall.

Richard
Old 01-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #111

Entegra Owners Club
Haven't done the front or mid coach yet but here's the rear and side rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	189662Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	189663Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	189664
Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #112

We were in a '18 Aspire with the new style lights installed I assume at the factory because they didn't have the backing plate behind the light and none of the side marker lights would flash with the blinkers. I hope the factory will let us install reflectors and not force this recall on everyone when they go anywhere for service.
Tom and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall