Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
New Tire monitoring equipment

I just installed a TST 507 TPMS and purchased a VIAIR compressor. While my front tire pressures are within 1 PSi of each other, the rears are 3-5 pounds different. The VIAR gauge is showing higher pressure. I'm setting the fronts at 120 and all rears at 85. Should I believe one over the other?

A side note, the Viair seems to take forever airing up. When I first push on the chuck the gauge runs up to 150 then falls down to a few pounds of the actual pressure. The compressor runs but the pressure doesn't go much higher. If I release the trigger and wait for the compressor to stop, then pull the trigger again it does the same thing, pumps in a couple more pounds still running but no more pressure. I had one tire down 14 pounds it took 5 minutes to get to 85. Any thoughts?
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your compressor has a very small volume of air vs what the tire will take. While it can build high pressure when not connected to the tire is does not have a large volume to build the tire pressure up quickly.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

Mine take a while but it gets the tires to where they are supposed to be (if they are down in air pressure). Think of the volume of air that the Viair compressor holds and then think of that under pressure and in a volume the size of a truck tire. Its going to run a while....

I use a highly accurate (and expensive) truck tire gauge. That's the one I believe and it correlated well with the Valor TPMS.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

What is your take on the Valor TPMS. Trying to figure out what I want before the next trip
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #5

I've written a lot about the Valor beginning the day that I drove my new 19 Cornerstone off the lot in Atlanta and drove it to Shreveport. It was a real mess for the first couple of weeks. However, with a lot of work and figuring out how things needed to be, it all got resolved and working. I have now used the system for ~ 13,500 miles and have found the system to work as you would expect. No alarms and no problems. I will either post a new post here or edit this one with some links to much of this that evolved last June as I started to understand the system, and the dealers began to figure out how it should be programmed for an end user.

I just returned from a repair trip to NIRVC preliminary to a fairly big trip to Canada and the NorthEast and one of the TSBs that they worked on was moving the Valor antenna locations so that it supposedly decreased the chance of "losing" contact with one of the toad sensors.... in my case, before they made the improved position, I never lost a toad sensor signal. Now that they have put it in a better location, I was "missing" the rear driver side sensor on the Honda.... I may need to place the antenna back where it was or maybe halfway between the new and old positions

All in all, worth the $200 for the sensors.

The threads deal with a number of issues that are irrelevant to Valor specifically but within those threads are my tire pressures that I used, my baselines that we set, and how it has worked.

Edits here ( I hope ) :

This was the messy part.... when first driving the coach
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/some...-a-394609.html
-------------------------------------

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/some...-a-397905.html

Here is Don Rigby's phone number (at least least summer)

734-634-3278
--------------------------------------------
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/valor-tpms-399081.html
----------------------------------------
Relevant post is post #60
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/some...-393437-5.html

Gary
Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
Your compressor has a very small volume of air vs what the tire will take. While it can build high pressure when not connected to the tire is does not have a large volume to build the tire pressure up quickly.

Terry
After giving it more thought, that's what I figured. I went out early this morning before the sun broke through and the tire temps were 10-12 degrees lower than yesterday afternoon and, as you can imagine the tire pressures were down a couple of pounds. Adding 3-4 pounds did not take long at all. I'm now 3-4 pounds difference between the VIAIR and the TST TPMS with the TPMS higher.

Gary I'm headed up to Eastern Canada, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, then Maine in September and October. If we run into each other maybe I can borrow that expensive truck tire gauge to calibrate mine
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #7

Gary

We are headed the same general direction and the same destinations. We plan to end up in Massachusetts in Mid September for the ECOA annual meeting. We would like to spend more time in Canada but looks like we are not going to get started as soon as we planned because of a bunch of needs here at the S&B. After we have to leave the maritime province area for the ECOA meeting, then we will probably meander down the east coast seeing and doing things that we have had to not do in previous trips... Hope to be back here before winter.

We will look for you.

Gary
Old 07-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I just installed a TST 507 TPMS and purchased a VIAIR compressor. While my front tire pressures are within 1 PSi of each other, the rears are 3-5 pounds different. The VIAR gauge is showing higher pressure. I'm setting the fronts at 120 and all rears at 85. Should I believe one over the other?

A side note, the Viair seems to take forever airing up. When I first push on the chuck the gauge runs up to 150 then falls down to a few pounds of the actual pressure. The compressor runs but the pressure doesn't go much higher. If I release the trigger and wait for the compressor to stop, then pull the trigger again it does the same thing, pumps in a couple more pounds still running but no more pressure. I had one tire down 14 pounds it took 5 minutes to get to 85. Any thoughts?
Gary, a side note but, you may want to review some of the threads here about our 44Fs being very close to max weight on the front axle (if not over). I was like you and ran 120 psi in our fronts like I did with our previous Allegro Bus 45LP, which was even heavier on the same Michelin 315s. Week before last while attending Spartan Academy, they increased our fronts to 125 psi (full fuel & water). They came to that number because we only had somewhere between 600-700 pounds to go before we maxed out the 17k front axle rating, and that was with no one on board.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Gary, a side note but, you may want to review some of the threads here about our 44Fs being very close to max weight on the front axle (if not over). I was like you and ran 120 psi in our fronts like I did with our previous Allegro Bus 45LP, which was even heavier on the same Michelin 315s. Week before last while attending Spartan Academy, they increased our fronts to 125 psi (full fuel & water). They came to that number because we only had somewhere between 600-700 pounds to go before we maxed out the 17k front axle rating, and that was with no one on board.
Interesting. I had the pressures adjusted at Lazy Days this spring and haven't touched them until I bought this equipment after reading so many posts and threads relating to pressures. Anyway the fronts were at 127 while the rear and tags were all over the board from 71-91...ouch! I'll adjust to 125 for now until I get some accurate corner weights. Thanks!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)

Tags
monitor