RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
New tire question

Just got all new tires .... just noticed the receipt says "all wheels need to re-torqued within 50-100 miles". Is this necessary? We are heading back to Alabama in the next couple of days and I really don't want to have to find a tire shop to "re-torque" the wheels ... but guess I will have to if necessary. Thoughts?

DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Just got all new tires .... just noticed the receipt says "all wheels need to re-torqued within 50-100 miles". Is this necessary? We are heading back to Alabama in the next couple of days and I really don't want to have to find a tire shop to "re-torque" the wheels ... but guess I will have to if necessary. Thoughts?
Lynn, Iím sure itís along the same line as re-torque on the windshield wipers. They always recommend it, but few do it. Iím certainly not saying donít, but I wouldnít.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

I had a flat repaired in UT back in Dec. They had me sign a waiver stating I'll get the lugs re torqued in 100 to 150 miles. I'm sure there were some lawyers involved in the past. It's not a bad idea. In the 80's I worked in a tire shop, as an ASE certified mechanic, and we never told anyone to do a re-torque on there wheels...
Old 10-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the replies .... On Friday I will be heading toward Nashville, so will probably stop at a Loves and see if they will do it for me. Guess, better safe than sorry. But, on all the cars I've owned and had new tires, I've never been told to do this, wonder why on motorhomes?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:38 AM   #5

Having wheels torqued again after 25 - 50 miles on any vehicle has become standard practice across the repair industry. This practice is not an attempt to harass or inconvenience anyone but it's for the safety of the driver and passengers in a vehicle which has had tire or wheel service.
While you might not see the effects in the southern states, in the northern states especially, we have rust and corrosion form on the back side of wheels, the hubs and brake rotors and drums also collect rust and corrosion. This should be cleaned off before installing a wheel back onto any vehicle. Especially on wheels using what we call "acorn" nuts which have to fit snugly into the wheel there have been many instances where the wheel is put on, the nuts run on and torqued but the wheel wasn't perfectly centered. The nuts will tighten the wheel, the wheel can't rotate slightly so the nuts are not fully engaged in the wheel. It only takes a few rotations of the wheel when driving and the wheel centers itself and the nuts are not holding the wheel tightly to the hub. In effect the wheel becomes loose.
In the northern areas this happens more frequently on aluminum wheels. The aluminum wheels corrode faster than steel wheels rust, the corrosion actually holds the wheel and doesn't allow the wheel to center itself on the wheel studs.
It's imperative the backside of wheels be cleaned along with the hub and brake rotor or drum to get a clean surface which lessens the chance of wheels locking up and not properly centering themselves. The person who is doing the work must be sure the wheel looks centered before attempting to torque wheel on a vehicle.
When I ran my repair shop we drove every vehicle we had a wheel(s) off from around the block and rechecked the wheels for tightness. Even though we took all the proper precautions once in a great while we would find a wheel which didn't measure up to the proper torque.
The customer copy of every invoice we printed got a stamp on it warning the customer to have the wheel torque rechecked after 25 miles. We would provide this service free of charge. It was protection not just for the customer but for us as a registered repair shop. After we retorqued the wheels we had the owner or vehicle operator sign the original invoice with a statement we had retorqued the wheels.
Lynn
Old 10-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Having wheels torqued again after 25 - 50 miles on any vehicle has become standard practice across the repair industry. This practice is not an attempt to harass or inconvenience anyone but it's for the safety of the driver and passengers in a vehicle which has had tire or wheel service.
Thanks. By the time I get to Loves on Friday, I will have done a couple hundred miles on the new fronts and about 200 miles for the rears. Anyone know what the correct torque is for Michelin's 315/80R 22.5 (steer) and 295/80R 22.5 drive/tag?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:57 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I had mine done at a Speedco and it was 475 lbs torque. They had a machine that did it automatically. They will also give you a slip with the numbers printed on it so you can put it with your paperwork.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That's about how long it takes for a wheel that wasn't properly torqued the first time to come loose.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Thanks. By the time I get to Loves on Friday, I will have done a couple hundred miles on the new fronts and about 200 miles for the rears. Anyone know what the correct torque is for Michelin's 315/80R 22.5 (steer) and 295/80R 22.5 drive/tag?
Specs should be in the manual for your chassis. Torque setting is based on the hardware used (wheels, lug nuts, studs, etc) and not the tires.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Aluminum rims can loosen a bit compared to stamped steel rims. I recently had Rettrobands installed and they were properly torqued to 475 ft-lbs. After a 200 mile drive the next day I rechecked the torque (I carry a torque wrench and torque multiplier) that evening and they did need a bit more. Some lugs were good but some were down about 50 ft-lbs. If they loosen up with further mileage you could ruin an expensive rim.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

IIRC, the spec is 450-500#.

A retorque is always a good plan.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Stopped at Loves north of Indy - they said that they couldnít do it if I didnít buy them from Loves. Will try another place tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #13

Iíd suggest making a few calls down the line.

It might be helpful to have them perform a lube, or some other service. Many shops are more helpful when you arenít tying up a tech and a bay for something like this.

Or, you could always resort to bribery!!!

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #14

Sweat Tire right next to Loves at I10 and AL 59. No frills. They replaced out front tires last spring. Did OK. Probably cheaper than Loves.

DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote