Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

New Tow Vehicle

We upgraded from a Wrangler to a Grand Cherokee and I am trying to figure out the best way to protect the front end on the tow. We travel I-10 between San Antonio and Phoenix quite a bit and there's always a 10 or 20 mile stretch of gravel that eats up the front end of the tow. Has anyone tried the Blue Ox KarGaurd? It's the lay flat screen that you roll out after you hook up.

Thanks!
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
jb4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems like that rubbing against the back of the coach would potentially scratch it.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-b...r-bx88255.aspx

See video for details.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I tried Tow Car Shield years ago. Would recommend running from them
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4545 View Post
We upgraded from a Wrangler to a Grand Cherokee and I am trying to figure out the best way to protect the front end on the tow. We travel I-10 between San Antonio and Phoenix quite a bit and there's always a 10 or 20 mile stretch of gravel that eats up the front end of the tow. Has anyone tried the Blue Ox KarGaurd? It's the lay flat screen that you roll out after you hook up.

Thanks!
I also have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I tow behind my 2017 Aspire. I have the Blue Ox Avail tow bar, base plate and Airforce One brake system. I have used the vertical tow shields and will not use them again unless I have the Roadmaster Tow Defender RM4750 or Blue Ox BX8835. The shield causes rocks to bounce off and onto the back of your motorhome. A friend used the Roadmaster tow Defender and said it worked great to protect his tow vehicle.

The Tow Defender seems to be better engineered than the Blue Ox but that is not to say one is better than the other. The BX8835 just came on the market in past few months and is made for the Avail Tow bar. I was told by Blue Ox the old version had issues with the Avail Tow bar. The one thing I do not like about the Blue Ox is the pins that you install on the arm ends. It seem they could be a liability when the tow bar is in the stored position.

If you buy one I would be interested in your feedback because I need to buy one.

Ray
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
A suggestion...one of my previous tenants installs the same material as Diamond Shield on our MH. The clear film has a lifetime warranty including rock chips. When they purchase the dealership, they get the computer program for every major vehicle pattern. They are the ones that do the car dealers here and the dealers mark it up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #6

John, ensure your mudflap on the rear of the motorhome is adjusted as high as you can manage.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I had the KarGard II and it worked fine with our old gas MH. The issue that I encountered was I made a tight turn and stopped. When I got out to disconnect the Jeep the mat material was laying against the exhaust pipe and melted some of it. Took it off that night.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
A suggestion...one of my previous tenants installs the same material as Diamond Shield on our MH. The clear film has a lifetime warranty including rock chips. When they purchase the dealership, they get the computer program for every major vehicle pattern. They are the ones that do the car dealers here and the dealers mark it up.
The dealer I bought from is also recommending Xpel invisible bra. I'm getting a quote but he thought it would be around $1000 for the front end and headlights. I didn't mind the old Wrangler getting beat up but the new hasn't worn off the GC yet..........
Old 05-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The dealer I bought from is also recommending Xpel invisible bra. I'm getting a quote but he thought it would be around $1000 for the front end and headlights. I didn't mind the old Wrangler getting beat up but the new hasn't worn off the GC yet..........
Check with Diamond Shield or Xpel for who the local distributor is. My previous tenant is Suntamers - Window Tinting - Bonita Springs, Naples, Cape Coral, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Florida and I believe they told me the average price is $500. which would be right if the dealer is quoting $1,000.
Might even call the Cape Coral store, ask for Larry, tell him Chuck told you to call and find out who the installer might be for your area.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Check with Diamond Shield or Xpel for who the local distributor is. My previous tenant is Suntamers - Window Tinting - Bonita Springs, Naples, Cape Coral, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Florida and I believe they told me the average price is $500. which would be right if the dealer is quoting $1,000.
Might even call the Cape Coral store, ask for Larry, tell him Chuck told you to call and find out who the installer might be for your area.
We have an Xpel distribution center here in Houston and I'm getting the quote directly from them. I haven't been able to find a Scotch Pro or Diamond Shield installer in Houston that does autos. I'll update the post when I get some prices......apparently they price it by piece or body panel.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #11

after all the lengthy threads and discussion on this forum abut this issue, I've resolved that NO additional protection really makes any substantial difference. Folks who use them and say that it works well are assuming that something would have happened otherwise. Those of us who don't use anything and haven't had any issues, 60,000+ miles for us, will make the case that nothing is needed.

I will also add that I believe that it has something to do with where the rear wheels are in relation to your overall length. If the tires are close to the rear, then I can bet you'd have a greater chance of issues, especially over gravel roads. If you have a lengthy overhang at the rear, then I think your probabilities are much lower.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
We have an Xpel distribution center here in Houston and I'm getting the quote directly from them. I haven't been able to find a Scotch Pro or Diamond Shield installer in Houston that does autos. I'll update the post when I get some prices......apparently they price it by piece or body panel.
I just called Larry at Sun Tamers and their product is Nano Fusion. They are who Diamond Shield calls to take care of warranty work in SW FL. Nano Fusion I was told was the top of the line material. Might see if they have a company in the Houston area. Nano Fusion Film - Paint Protection Film for the Automotive Industry
Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
I just called Larry at Sun Tamers and their product is Nano Fusion. They are who Diamond Shield calls to take care of warranty work in SW FL. Nano Fusion I was told was the top of the line material. Might see if they have a company in the Houston area. Nano Fusion Film - Paint Protection Film for the Automotive Industry
Will do............thanks Chuck!
Old 05-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #14

Diamond shield will protect the nose.

I was not aware that the grand cherokee had a two speed transfer case. We bout a trailhawk for this reason. We were told the GC could not be towed
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow