Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Newbie question, Driving in snow!!!

I'm a soon to be newbie owner of a 2014 Entegra Anthem 42 DEQ and was wondering if/when we're traveling in the fall in Canada or Rockies and we get some snow is that a big deal? How do these rigs handle in the snow? I'm not planning on spending to much time in the snow but what if we get a surprise storm? Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineman View Post
I'm a soon to be newbie owner of a 2014 Entegra Anthem 42 DEQ and was wondering if/when we're traveling in the fall in Canada or Rockies and we get some snow is that a big deal? How do these rigs handle in the snow? I'm not planning on spending to much time in the snow but what if we get a surprise storm? Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bening Canadian, I'll chime in here, while I am wishing for an Entegra I currently have a National and have driven in the show several times, like anything with snow and ice, take it easy, I only got my rig slightly sideways once and it was my fault, I used the exhaust brake and should not have. If I can do it you can too, best of all you have a tag axil more contact with the road. Easy on gas, easy on brakes, leave lots of room to stop and lots of room from the guy in front.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

Strictly my opinion, but I would not risk the loss of such a rig that way. If I got caught with fresh snow, I would wait it out. Been there, and not worth the risk, for me.

GL Arnold
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drive SMOOTH and leave plenty of room. Its all about the weight, tire contact patch and speed, whether you're driving a 18 wheeler, motorhome or SUV.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #5

I have driven in snow many times with our RV. If you are comfortable driving in snow in a car, you will be comfortable driving in snow with the RV. In heavy snow falls, it actually is easier to drive the RV!
I remember driving to Florida from Minnesota and in Nashville, they had two inches of fresh snow. Schools were closed down and people drove 20 MPH on the freeway with their flashers on! Those of us from the midwest, found that quite entertaining. I am sure we made them uncomfortable flying by at 70 MPH, but two inches is nothing. So, it is all in your perspective and your experience.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #6

My first day of driving my Class A was in a blizzard in Montana. Coach even with toad handled better than my 4X4 with 5th wheel, in similar conditions.
Mountain passes in Canada and US may be an issue any time " Chains Required " signage is up. I don't have chains for my MH and wouldn't use them if I did, I always have food on board and would wait out any , chains restriction, or hop in my, winter tire & chain equipped, toad to get supplies.
At this point in time , I'm looking at traction tires for my MH, because , current tires are aged out and I know any replacement set will age out long before the tread is gone, and I hit snow every year going south or returning in spring , it would be nice to be legal on the traction tires required routes, for a change.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

Live in Colorado and have drove the RV in snow more than I wanted. I can offer that traction on steep uphill slopes was the only issue I've experienced. And that loss of traction was on a side road, with steep inclines, in 4-6 inches of snow that was not plowed. And no, I had no intentions of being in that position in a 45' Entegra, but long story short...I was.

As "mccsix" offered above, we just exercised additional caution; and while doing so, I've had very few issues.

Driving the Anthem is enjoyable on dry roads. I can't say the same for driving it thru the mountains in snowy conditions. But living here (and not being retired) we are forced to do so at times.

My advice- avoid it if possible; but if you can't, be aware of what type of snowpack conditions you are dealing with (wet snow is very different than the dry snow we receive here in CO). Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Being form CO I have a lot of experience driving in the snow. The MH handes fine in the snow, but if you do not have snow driving experience, you do not want to learn in a MH. If the MH gets away from you, you cannot spin a donut and get out of it. A 42 ft takes a lot of highway if it gets away from you.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineman View Post
Thanks
My opinion only. OK to go in light snow. Not OK to go on ice. Not OK to go at all if rear tires are the same steer tires as the front tires. When we put new tires on, we used traction tires on the rears. A little noisier, but safer for snow.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Being from Mich all my life, it's 70 mph in a ft of snow yelling eeeh haaa, past me another beer . Sorry, couldn't help meself

Seriously, my A does fine in snow and it doesn't bother me, but no real experience on very steep grades. I do know when I encounter ice, it's off the road until it clears. I'm in no hurry and don't need the stress :thunb:
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
It would the last thing that I would do because of salt on the roads. Most MHs will corrode really fast. Otherwise if comfortable, the MH will not bother you.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I've driven buses and RVs in snow, no different than a car as folks said, slow, smooth and anticipate curves, hills, stopping. Last week in Yellowstone snow closed some passes and had a few entrances closed for a few hours. The rangers had the restriction of snow tires and no trailers on a few sections, we had to drive around a little further with the toad hooked up.

Nice thing about the RV, if it snows, you can relax, eat, and sleep until the plows make it passable again.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
It would the last thing that I would do because of salt on the roads. Most MHs will corrode really fast. Otherwise if comfortable, the MH will not bother you.
I agree on the salt for sure. Being a snowbird now, I leave Mich before the snow hits and don't come back until it's gone!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Snowy roads and the RV

I grew up in Colo and drove medium sized trucks, sometimes on bad roads. Other than going too fast for conditions the thing to watch out for is crosswinds on that 40 ft barn door. A strong gust can easily exceed the traction your RV has. When the snow starts falling, I'm looking for a nearby site with electricity to keep warm and beer to keep cold.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags