RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Newbie Questions...

Hi everyone.

We're switching from a 2006 Monaco Diplomat to a 2017 Entegra Anthem on Monday and I have a few questions that I'm sure someone might be able to help with.

From what I've read on the forum, the new coach has a 20' macerator hose. Do I still need to carry around my "slinky" style hose? Advantages/disadvantages?

When I did the test drive (and boy is it different from the 2006!) I noticed the passenger-side blind side monitor seemed to give a few false positives. Like, say, driving over a bridge. Has anyone experienced that?

I'm planning to add my current Pepwave router and would probably put it in the same place the current router is. Looking around the coach, I didn't see the router (I didn't spend a lot of time searching for it). Any hints on where the router is?

And in a 2017, that's a Cradlepoint router? I saw that some FireFly routers are actually Pepwaves.

We're stuck with Crestron, right? It looks like it's been orphaned by the developer.

And finally---is there cat5 running through the rig, or is everything wireless?

Thank you, everyone. We're super-excited about it...

bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #2

Hi there- you’re gonna love the Entegra. We have an ‘old’ 2013 Aspire. Only question I can answer for you is the slinky hose. We are currently camping in Tennessee and went to dump the tanks. Our short hose between the valves and the macerator has a leak. I don’t carry a slinky but I’m going to start to carry one for a ‘just in case’ moment like this. Enjoy your coach and hope to see you out on the road!

Richbonett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #3

BSALDEEN

I can answer a couple of your questions.

On my 19 Cornerstone, the Sanicon hose is 30', not 20'. Entegra has a special hose that is made by Thetford which is extra long. I have no idea if yours would be 30' on the Anthem, but I think that it is. Someone will confirm. I dont have a stinky slinky in the coach with me. I bought a new stinky slinky hose system (top of the line) before I bought the coach and it is still in the garage. So far everything works great. Now if it doesnt, I'll be buying another one out on the road. I started thinking I would not like the Sanicon, but I like it just fine. One mod you might need to make is to add a disconnect up in the sanicon hose box.... I have found the easiest way to get all the contents of the hose to clear is to break the Cam-Lock in the back of the sanicon hose box and let it drain and then reinstall the Cam-Lock. You might not have a camlock fitting. Some years dont and there are several mods to make adding a CamLock to the system outside. We can give you the links. Without the CamLock connection, the hose still can be drained but takes time, skill and effort.

Both blind side monitors are essentially worthless devices on my coach. The right side will show every guard rail you pass, and the driver blind SPOT indicator is essentially useless. Mine doesnt show me a passing car until I can see it outside the toll window. You drove without that probably on your previous coach and used the mirrors.... so you should be good at using the mirrors, and ignore the blind spot.... useless bling.

Can't imagine why you would need to change the router. The router in my 19 handles anything that I throw at it nicely. You're going to go through a lot of useless reprogramming to put in a new router, and its not needed for anything else in the bus or anything that you are thinking you want to add.

Your coach does not work with Nebula and Crestron is the only game in town. We were not impressed with Crestron in our 15 Anthem and the Nebula software is far superior and cheaper in our 19 Cornerstone. $99 for one copy and my opinion is that it is easier to walk to the bathroom outer wall and operate the VegaTouch than it is to try to use a phone or iPad to do most of what you want to do. For control of TV and things like that, I am not impressed.... takes too much time to get everything ready to change channels or adjust the volume.

Don't know about the cat5 in a 17.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Gary!

The Pepwave is a combo hotspot/router/wifi device. It has twin unlimited data SIMs (Verizon/ATT) to get Internet in the coach. Plus it has a sweet roof antenna to help get cell or CG wifi service. Although we generally never bother with CG wifi since the cell service is usually better.

My goal (initially) was to get the Crestron app to work from anywhere, but so many people hate the Crestron app, plus with no HVAC controls it sort of has limited usefulness. It would be handy to adjust the HVAC remotely. The only other remote action that I could see being possibly useful is bringing the awnings in.

I read that you can set up the current router (cradlepoint?) to Wifi-as-WAN, so that's an alternative to doing all the possible re-configuring of the Pepwave (static IPs for clients, etc.).

So my thinking was that although it's a hassle setting up the pepwave, it might be more efficient and a cleaner setup. Probably not worth the trouble considering the Crestron's limited usefulness to begin with.

And Gary---thanks for all the input on the other stuff too. I sort of suspected the BSM was bogus...guard rails, bridges, etc. triggering it. Will look into the Camlock stuff...
Old 12-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, Rich. Sewer hose leaks are no fun...
Old 12-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I carry a slinky that will fit in the secret compartment by the outside cooler just in case. All the fittings for it are in the small compartment with the macerator hose. I have never had to use it. When we are ensconced at Stoneridge for a long period, I have another slinky that I use there which stays there.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

My BSM on my 18 Anthem work great, they start picking up the passing vehicle when it's beside my toad and stay on till the vehicle leaves the front of the coach. It will pickup guardrails, bridges , and anything that is beside the coach though. I use my mirrors almost exclusively, but still notice the BSM light in the mirror.
I only use my slinky when I set up for over a week. The macerator hose is so much easier to deal with when moving frequently.
Beerfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #8

Having moved from a 2008 Allegro Bus to a 2018 Cornerstone I can say I am satisfied with Macerator hose. The hose has been fine in parks where I have had to double my slinky in the past. I do keep a slinky in the secret compartment for 'just in case'. Had one issue where the sewer was behind the rear of the coach and I tested it's limits.

But remember (I believe) you could use a garden hose as an extension if you had to cover extra ground.

I have the pepwave that came with the coach and have been pleased. Determine our internet source using the winegard which is our primary for the pepwave. Works well

My blind spot monitors evidently have moisture in them and are constantly own. (Pulled the fuse)

Love the drive!
Fergtiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #9

Gary, I do think they lengthened the hose in more recent years. I would say our '17 Aspire is only around 20'.

For the OP, Welcome to the family! I still carry two 3" slinky hoses around for one of those just in case moments. We have stayed at a CG where the dump was a good 10' behind the rear of our coach. It wasn't level there, so no way to set the coach up at that position. I was glad I had not one but two slinky's with me that stay.

While the slinky's are still in a tote on the pull out tray, I'm about ready to move them to the less accessible area behind the Aqua-Hot.

Steve

Tags