Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
OWV

No ground plane CB antennas

This thread is related to the one I just posted regarding cell phone/wi-fi signal boosters. I was going to include this with the other thread, but thought it best to create 2 separate threads.

Have any of you installed a no ground plane CB antenna, and if you have would you be willing to share your experiences? We have found that the CB antenna that came with the coach just doesn't work because there isn't enough metal to properly ground it. And, I understand that Entegra has or will stop installing a pre-wired CB antenna which leaves us having to use a no ground plane CB antenna.

1. Did it work?
2. What kind did you get?
3. Where did you install it?
4. Do you need any kind of signal booster?

We don't use our CB much, in part because the current antenna has no range, but we would like to have it available particularly for those times when there is heavy congestion to know what's going on and whether we should look for an alternative.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
2014 Entegra Anthem, 44B
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I installed a no ground plane on the Travel Supreme and it worked as well as the roof antenna, maybe worse. I haven't even pulled the CB out of the cabinet to install in the Entegra yet. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say as well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I have provided a link (that I got from someone on this site a few months ago) that will answer a number of your questions.

Firestik Antenna Company Home Page

They have a FAQ section and a number of tech articles, not to long but informative.
I apologize to the person on irv2 who posted this originally, I have a bad memory from "BEATING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL"
Old 10-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #4

I'd go with the fire stick antenna. Don't use CB but using a NGP antenna on the ham bands on my MH. Works for me.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
This thread is related to the one I just posted regarding cell phone/wi-fi signal boosters. I was going to include this with the other thread, but thought it best to create 2 separate threads.

Have any of you installed a no ground plane CB antenna, and if you have would you be willing to share your experiences? We have found that the CB antenna that came with the coach just doesn't work because there isn't enough metal to properly ground it. And, I understand that Entegra has or will stop installing a pre-wired CB antenna which leaves us having to use a no ground plane CB antenna.

1. Did it work?
2. What kind did you get?
3. Where did you install it?
4. Do you need any kind of signal booster?

We don't use our CB much, in part because the current antenna has no range, but we would like to have it available particularly for those times when there is heavy congestion to know what's going on and whether we should look for an alternative.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
2014 Entegra Anthem, 44B
At least you all still have your CB Antenna ours was knocked off by a tree limb or low underpass right after we bought our 44B, the AM/FM Antenna is bent but still hanging on
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I haven't been able to find much information on a fix for the CB system. Has anyone used on of those "CB Shops" that are usually setup in a truck stop parking lot? Trying the no ground antenna is on my to do list.

John
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #7

I had the same problem with the CB antennae on my 2014 Anthem. Found out the ground wire under the CB antennae wasn't connected correctly. Entegra had a local Campers Inn in Mass fix it but the cb had been ruined. Didn't know that if you key the mike without the CB antennae being connected correctly would hurt the unit.Replaced the Cobra 75 hand held with the Cobra 29 and unit working great now. It has a weather channel alert feature that scared the hell out of me. Even with the radio off it will make a very loud sound then state the weather alert.
Wineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna