RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One of my favorite posters had written on in “I have nothing against Stupid People. I just think we should take all the labels off and let nature take its course.”

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #44

Well, I haven’t learned anything on this thread so far.

Let’s try this. My 7K rated “safety” cables were packaged with 2 Chinese Quicklinks on one end of the cable that have a stamped working load limit of 2200lbs. The other end has a hook, that my experience in arena rigging, (chain motors, truss, wire rope, shackles) does not lead me to believe is capable of surviving a 7K load, much less a dynamic load from an unhitched 5K toad.

I’ve added some redundancies to the towing setup to virtually eliminate the possibility on the toad coming unhitched. The “safety” cables are used in order to be in compliance with the law. I would expect them to fail if they were ever put into action.

Take a look at your “safety” cables. You may learn something.

Actually, I did learn that people tend to jump to conclusions and make snarky comments about other people being snarky.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #45

I think he probably removed them for safekeeping. Takes a second and you know you’ll have them when you get back. People taking advantage of a rig with no one around is unfortunately not unheard of. He obviously had to buy the bar and have the car set up, would like to think they would follow basic safety precautions.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #46

Use Them

If I were to see someone on a road with no safety chains I’d be getting as far away as I could.
Someone hooked up a horse trailer for me, and yes, I agree that it’s my fault for not checking my own hitch. I was going to pickup my mare and foal. I hit a bump on the overpass going about 60’ish and the trailer popped off the hitch. THANK GOODNESS HE’D AT LEAST PUT ON THE SAFETY CHAINS. I quickly and carefully slowed and pulled to the side where a nice guy stopped to help me get hitched up correctly. Use GOOD safety chains.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
...I’ve added some redundancies to the towing setup to virtually eliminate the possibility on the toad coming unhitched. The “safety” cables are used in order to be in compliance with the law. I would expect them to fail if they were ever put into action...
interesting. care to share with the class?
Old 07-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #48

I could be wrong, but I did not see any follow up posts from Philnail.
I am wondering...did you do the R.V. neighborly thing and go say hi?
I like to think if I did something stupid like forget a safety chain another R.V.er seeing it would point it out for me.
I also like to think other R.V.ers would be happy to point out and teach me about anything I do not know.

Just saying...
Old 07-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #49

There is no way a cop with mistake bungee cords for safety cables.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
It's a nice looking RV and Toad, I doubt they are foregoing cables to save a few bucks.

Many reasons already mentioned why the cables might not be there while parked. Add to them maybe they just got back from or were just getting ready to go shopping or sightseeing and took a break before completing the hookup or the disconnect.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt until I saw them going down the highway like that.

As for the bungee guy my guess would be his purpose was to make it look like he had safety cables in case a cop cruised by.
What he said.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I guess I’m guilty of being snarky, sorry. Not fo the guy wit no chains/cables as there is plausible explanations, but for Mr. Bungee. I actually carry a spare set of safety cables. One of my cables grew a pair of legs, unhooked itself and walked away. That had to be the case as no one would be so low as to take one. Anyway, I am OCD on safety and would not tow the Jeep without both cables. Bought two sets with one as the replacement and one spare set.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks RVPioneer; first task for tomorrow is a close examination of the safety cables.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #53

Well when I was a kid my dad had a 1960 17ft Shasta trailer and towed it with a 1957 Chevy 3/4 ton step side pickup. On each safety chain he would grind one link paper thin. I asked him why he did that and he replied, "If that SOB breaks lose, I don't want it hooked to me." Seemed right to me, I was 12.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Well, to each, his or her own, but the LAST thing that I am worried about when I travel is some scoundrel stealing my safety cables to the toad. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that this guy simply forgot them initially or never had them and is none the wiser. Five years + now and no one has found my cables irresistible.

I personally dont understand why anyone would take the safety cables off their rig... mine are on there all the time, and if you dont have a kind of tow bar that lets you do that, then buy another brand of tow bar.

and the guy pictured above, is missing something much more important than any of what we are discussing, and that is a toad braking system (I assume since it wasnt mentioned). Not only is his toad free to careen across the median strip, but it will do it a full throttle since there is no braking system to stop it.... Serious stupidity !!!

My tow bar has something that I would think that would be mandatory for every tow bar manufacturer to have and I am amazed that any bar is made that doesn't have this little addition.... there is a stainless steel rod/bar that is welded to the side of the main section of the tow bar, and that steel rod is there to hold the coiled electrical cable that runs back to the toad.... so, when you disconnect the toad, you simply thread the coiled electrical cable onto the bar that is there to store it, hold it into position with a snap fastener, and forget it.... could not be easier or more convenient.... no rummaging around for cables and wires in the basement or toad to connect the toad.... they are right there all the time (Demco Excali-bar is the bar and the cable).

And "There is no cure for stupid", as is recognized by the well worn phrase.....

Gary
Toad brake systems are only required where mandated by law. I don't use one. Not required by law. And these brake systems are unreliable and cause many problems on their own.
I have never, ever heard of a 3000# toad completely separate from an RV let alone hurt anyone. Have you? If so provide details. I doubt you can.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:20 AM   #55

When I bought my tow car there was an extra set of tow bar pins in the trunk. So I asked why they had extras?

They said they heard of people playing pranks... like taking the tow pins that hold the tow car to the tow bar. ...And that blew my mind!
Old 07-08-2019, 04:43 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
At the many thousands of stops we have made, some not in the best neighborhoods, the last thing I have worried about is any of my tow equipment. I would worry more about the outside TV than dirty umbilical cords and tow cables. But that is just me.
Outside of Cheyenne Wy at a very nice RV Park June 2018, Someone stole the chrome tailpipe extension during the night. It was there when we parked for the night I wiped the soot off. It was gone that morning. About $175 I spot welded this one. Our Toad was hooked up, cables and all never touched them. Maybe they just liked shiny things.

Closed Thread

Tags
cable, safety, tow