RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #85

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Break-away can happen and hence the requirements for safety chains (cables) and in most states, towed weight-based brake systems. Regardless of weight, I use a brake system in my towed vehicle. First we had a drop-in BlueOx Patriot and now Air Force One. The very last event I would want to be involved in is my towed vehicle breaking loose and killing someone. Can it happen? Probably the same chance as winning the Lottery, Butt the potential is there.

Are towed brake systems perfect? No! In my opinion the risk of a horrendous break-away accident far greater than the risk of a less than perfect towed brake system.

While not a car, a coworker many years ago had a head-on collision with a bass boat on the freeway. A driver on the oncoming side had is boat trailer break loose and it went for the center guardrail. The trailer hit and the boat broke loose from the trailer flying into my coworker’s car. No fatalities and amazingly only minor injuries, but the car was totaled.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #86

“Triple towing is one such occurrence that comes to mind.“

Triple towing is not an equipment specific regulation, it is essentially an operational rule, no different than speed limits or other unique rules of the road.

I’m referring to a vehicle being prevented from being driven in a neighboring state, simply because it is equipped differently.

Good example is the proliferation of “wide body” 102” RV’s that are still illegal in some states. I researched that in 2014 before I bought our first 102” motor home, specifically a state we were going to spend 3 months in which the max legal with was 96”. I was assured that there would be no issues, provided my home state authorized 102” width vehicles...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #87

Regarding the brake/breakaway issue, when we first began towing our vehicle, I spoke with an attorney friend (was in law enforcement previously) to get his thoughts on our state of TN laws and general advice. [These are not my opinions - they're his; however, I believe he knew of which he spoke...]

He said the regulations fall under the state highway patrol, and are enforced based upon the laws of TN - i.e., there is no "reciprocity" on towing laws.

An example he used was trailer weight: he said just because you can tow a 100K ton trailer in ???, doesn't mean it will be legal in TN.

I asked him what he would have done if he caught a motorhome towing a vehicle over the 3K limit without brakes or a breakaway, and he said he definitely would have cited the driver.

Finally, and this was the example that really struck home: what if an out-of-TN-compliance RV had an accident with another vehicle?

As an attorney and former officer, he said, in all likelihood, the other driver would be advised to follow the "money trail" (rich motorhome owner).

Regardless of which driver was to blame, if the RV was considered illegal in TN, the other driver "may" have a case, especially in front of a sympathetic jury.

Considering the above and the safety factor, we always tow with our brake and breakaway in working order. JMO, but to do otherwise is just not worth the risk(s). Thanks,

BG
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG88 View Post
Regarding the brake/breakaway issue, when we first began towing our vehicle, I spoke with an attorney friend (was in law enforcement previously) to get his thoughts on our state of TN laws and general advice. [These are not my opinions - they're his; however, I believe he knew of which he spoke...]

He said the regulations fall under the state highway patrol, and are enforced based upon the laws of TN - i.e., there is no "reciprocity" on towing laws.

An example he used was trailer weight: he said just because you can tow a 100K ton trailer in ???, doesn't mean it will be legal in TN.

I asked him what he would have done if he caught a motorhome towing a vehicle over the 3K limit without brakes or a breakaway, and he said he definitely would have cited the driver.

Finally, and this was the example that really struck home: what if an out-of-TN-compliance RV had an accident with another vehicle?

As an attorney and former officer, he said, in all likelihood, the other driver would be advised to follow the "money trail" (rich motorhome owner).

Regardless of which driver was to blame, if the RV was considered illegal in TN, the other driver "may" have a case, especially in front of a sympathetic jury.

Considering the above and the safety factor, we always tow with our brake and breakaway in working order. JMO, but to do otherwise is just not worth the risk(s). Thanks,

BG
Everybody follows the money. No ambulance chaser worth his salt doesn't do it.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #89

Entegra Owners Club
I personally, I don't remember which states, I have had 2 different HP Officers pull up and dog me right at the tow bar. The only thing they could have been doing is checking tow equipment. I don't know how many have done a quick check in passing. Sooner or later those that tow incorrectly will get caught, hopefully it is before an accident. Some states probably enforce it more that other, but which states?
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #90

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lawful compliance vs. peace of mind - There is no logical reason not to have a well maintained tow bar, safety chains (cables), break-away cable, and trailer breaking system. If one can afford the coach the cost of a braking system is noting compared to the benefits of lawful compliance and peace of mind. IMHO
Old 07-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #91

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Here's a photo of one that came darn close. Notice the PS safety cable is already disconnected. I read the owner's original post and he admitted he did not have any type of towed braking system.

Legalities aside just think about what could have happened if he was on a highway when the rest of it disconnected. That Jeep would have been free-wheeling possibly into oncoming traffic.

I don’t think the safety cables or the fact he had no brake system on the toad had anything to with this failure. The whole front clip on the passenger side is torn loose which brings into question the method the base plate was install. Was this involved in an accident?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #92

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is a second set of safety cables that are between the base plate and frame on our Jeep Wrangler. Not sure where such a set could be installed on a Cherokee. From the picture, it looked to me that the owner had taken appropriate steps to hitch the car to the coach and the front end pulled loose. Possibly an installation issue. I am wondering how common the second set of safety cables is.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom78418 View Post
There is a second set of safety cables that are between the base plate and frame on our Jeep Wrangler. Not sure where such a set could be installed on a Cherokee. From the picture, it looked to me that the owner had taken appropriate steps to hitch the car to the coach and the front end pulled loose. Possibly an installation issue. I am wondering how common the second set of safety cables is.
Blue Ox has included a separate set of cables for the frame to base plate connection with the 2 base plates I have purchased.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Blue Ox has included a separate set of cables for the frame to base plate connection with the 2 base plates I have purchased.
Same here.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Pretty much all 12 year olds would have done the same thing as the poster. Shrug their shoulders and get in the car.
You may be correct. I speculated that the poster may no longer be 12 years old, which is why I asked for his opinion, as an adult, on the decision to grind down a link on a chain.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #96

And we could all drive 40mph too. I don't have a brake system on my 2800# toad and won't ever. Legal is legal.
Of all the things to worry over, pulling a small toad legally is not one of them.
Nobody has ever documented to me a fatality from a legally towed vehicle without braking being the cause of a fatality by breaking away. Still waiting.
I kind of laugh when I see 20 ton RVs passing me at 70 mph pulling 2-3 ton vehicles that have braking, preach to others on the virtues of peace of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom78418 View Post
Lawful compliance vs. peace of mind - There is no logical reason not to have a well maintained tow bar, safety chains (cables), break-away cable, and trailer breaking system. If one can afford the coach the cost of a braking system is noting compared to the benefits of lawful compliance and peace of mind. IMHO
Old 07-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
And we could all drive 40mph too. I don't have a brake system on my 2800# toad and won't ever. Legal is legal.
Of all the things to worry over, pulling a small toad legally is not one of them.
Nobody has ever documented to me a fatality from a legally towed vehicle without braking being the cause of a fatality by breaking away. Still waiting.
I kind of laugh when I see 20 ton RVs passing me at 70 mph pulling 2-3 ton vehicles that have braking, preach to others on the virtues of peace of mind.
If someone provided the documentation would you install a braking system?

You said no one could provide evidence of a toad separating from a coach. A link was provided.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #98

No. Legal is legal. And where is the fatalities? All I see is a car with front end damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
If someone provided the documentation would you install a braking system?

You said no one could provide evidence of a toad separating from a coach. A link was provided.

Closed Thread

Tags
cable, safety, tow