Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
I was reading a post lately where someone had used bungee cords as safety cables between the coach and tow vehicle.

I am next to a guy from Florida that has no safety cables at all and no cord for the lights on the vehicle

At least the guy who was using bungee cords probably thought it the tow vehicle can disconnected the bungee cords would stretch out and then bounce the tow car back to the coach. :bang head

Attachment 251636
The one towing with bungee cords and the one with no safety cables should not be allowed on the road as they endanger all of us. They need to take RV 101.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
This brings up the question: If you are compliant in the state in which you are licensed and the vehicle is registered, are you compliant in all other states?
No, you are not. Licensing of drivers is reciprocal among states (if you are licensed to drive your RV in your home state you can drive it in any other state). However, vehicle requirements are not. If your state is one of the few that do not require a braking system in the towed vehicle, you don't need one - as long as you never go into a state that does require one. A lot of police in a lot of locations help buffer local coffers by ticketing out-of-state vehicles for infractions that are legal in the driver's home state.

For example: Iowa requires equalizing hitches, sway control and brakes on all trailers over 3,000 pounds. Minnesota requires trailers of 6,000 pounds or more to have breakaway brakes. North Carolina requires an independent brake system for house trailers of 1,000 pounds or more. Utah requires breakaway braking system if over 3,000 pounds.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #73

Summation

This is still ALL summation and speculation....dude may be in the process of hooking up his toad and went in to use the head and OP got a pic at just the right time, (thus creating chaos). Now if this guy was on the road, actually driving, it would be cause for concern and a call to the state troopers office. Interesting reactions tho....from terror to anger! Wow
Old 07-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #74

I know that some people will take a negative on this post but to me there is a bigger issue. Just recently I have seen some lowlife try to steal various things concerning the attachment of the towed vehicle. In this case it was a tow dolly and the thief was trying to remove the pin that hold the hitch that didn't have a lock. It's sad that we need to lock everything down because of these people. Once while fueling up I saw someone remove the hitch pin thus later going down the road the tow would break free, fortunately I warned the owner of what happened so this sob that pulled the pin didn't get his jollies..... it was obvious that's what he was doing.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #75

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Typically I remove the Blue Ox hitch adapters from the Jeep when we’re parked. A real bummer is someone decided they needed them more than me. Never thought to check the hitch when connected for vandalism.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #76

I’ve never been robbed at gun point. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen to me or hasn’t happened to others.

It may be wasted seconds stowing the cables and adapters in a tool bag, but it won’t be wasted hours ordering new parts.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
No, you are not. Licensing of drivers is reciprocal among states (if you are licensed to drive your RV in your home state you can drive it in any other state). However, vehicle requirements are not. If your state is one of the few that do not require a braking system in the towed vehicle, you don't need one - as long as you never go into a state that does require one. A lot of police in a lot of locations help buffer local coffers by ticketing out-of-state vehicles for infractions that are legal in the driver's home state.

For example: Iowa requires equalizing hitches, sway control and brakes on all trailers over 3,000 pounds. Minnesota requires trailers of 6,000 pounds or more to have breakaway brakes. North Carolina requires an independent brake system for house trailers of 1,000 pounds or more. Utah requires breakaway braking system if over 3,000 pounds.
I’d have to respectfully disagree with your statement regarding equipment home state equipment requirements not being recognized by other states.
When I towed my first vehicle, the state I had it tagged in did not have a requirement for a braking system on trailers weighing less than 3K lbs, so I never had one. For at least 30 years, I always towed cars and small trucks that only weighed 2400-2500 lbs, so I never noticed that extra ton of towed when braking. I didn’t bother with braking until my most recent toad that weighs in at 3900 lbs. I have one for “appearances”, but still not sure it’s that much of a necessity (my 20 ton coach air brakes are plenty adequate to handle a little extra weight)

Having said all that, as long as I am compliant with all my home state DOT requirements, no state can infringe on my right to drive through their state...
One specific instance involved VERY dark tinting that was done in AZ, on my coach with FL tags. I asked the shop for the darkest tint possible on the sides, and if there was anything they could do about the windshield. They looked up the FL regulations, which allowed MUCH darker tinting, and had no issues with tinting windshields. Before I had it done, I went to the nearest AZ Highway Patrol station in Tucson, just to make sure I wasn’t wasting my money, since we spent the majority of our time in AZ.

Long story short, after a lengthy conversation with an administrative supervisor, I was assured I could do anything to my vehicles, as long as the alterations complied with my home state requirements. This included trailer braking and lighting.

He used several examples and analogies to illustrate the rules, one being front license plates. AZ had front plates, but they couldn’t require a person to supply one while in AZ. By the same token, if my home state required equipment that was NOT required in AZ, the same rules apply, I could be ticketed in AZ for non-compliance with my home state rules, even if AZ had a more lenient requirement.

This did happen to me while living in PA a few years ago. I had CA tags on the car, but discarded the front one (I despise front plates) before we left CA. One day I was stopped by a PA trooper after he passed me on the Interstate, and given a warning for not displaying a front tag (PA doesn’t have them but it just didn’t matter, because CA DID). Of course I told him it recently fell off and I was going to replace it ASAP, but ended up with FL tags within a year or so anyway...
Old 07-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #78

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodwrench View Post
I’d have to respectfully disagree with your statement regarding equipment home state equipment requirements not being recognized by other states.
When I towed my first vehicle, the state I had it tagged in did not have a requirement for a braking system on trailers weighing less than 3K lbs, so I never had one. For at least 30 years, I always towed cars and small trucks that only weighed 2400-2500 lbs, so I never noticed that extra ton of towed when braking. I didn’t bother with braking until my most recent toad that weighs in at 3900 lbs. I have one for “appearances”, but still not sure it’s that much of a necessity (my 20 ton coach air brakes are plenty adequate to handle a little extra weight)

Having said all that, as long as I am compliant with all my home state DOT requirements, no state can infringe on my right to drive through their state...
One specific instance involved VERY dark tinting that was done in AZ, on my coach with FL tags. I asked the shop for the darkest tint possible on the sides, and if there was anything they could do about the windshield. They looked up the FL regulations, which allowed MUCH darker tinting, and had no issues with tinting windshields. Before I had it done, I went to the nearest AZ Highway Patrol station in Tucson, just to make sure I wasn’t wasting my money, since we spent the majority of our time in AZ.

Long story short, after a lengthy conversation with an administrative supervisor, I was assured I could do anything to my vehicles, as long as the alterations complied with my home state requirements. This included trailer braking and lighting.

He used several examples and analogies to illustrate the rules, one being front license plates. AZ had front plates, but they couldn’t require a person to supply one while in AZ. By the same token, if my home state required equipment that was NOT required in AZ, the same rules apply, I could be ticketed in AZ for non-compliance with my home state rules, even if AZ had a more lenient requirement.

This did happen to me while living in PA a few years ago. I had CA tags on the car, but discarded the front one (I despise front plates) before we left CA. One day I was stopped by a PA trooper after he passed me on the Interstate, and given a warning for not displaying a front tag (PA doesn’t have them but it just didn’t matter, because CA DID). Of course I told him it recently fell off and I was going to replace it ASAP, but ended up with FL tags within a year or so anyway...
Just because you are legal to do something in your home state or province does not mean it will be allowed in other states or provinces. Triple towing is one such occurrence that comes to mind.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
Old 07-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #79

At the risk of running this thread even further off of the intended topic, there are two very compelling reasons to have & use a towed vehicle braking system:

1) In an emergency, your motorhome and towed vehicle will stop in less distance with a towed vehicle braking system than without one. If anyone disagrees with that, I’d be interested to understand your logic.

The shorter stopping distance may be seemingly insignificant as a percentage of the total stopping distance. Let’s say it’s only a foot. But think about the difference between getting stopped two inches from the vehicle in front of you versus 10 inches into it. In the first case, your heart will be beating faster, but once traffic starts moving you’ll be able to continue on with your trip. In the second instance you will, at the very least, spend some time on the side of the road, and may very well be liable for damage to the vehicle you hit and any injuries (real or imagined) to the occupants of that vehicle.

2) Think about a situation where through no fault of your own you’re unable to stop in time to avoid hitting a vehicle or individual, and the result is serious injury or even death. Assume you wouldn’t have been able to stop in time whether you had a towed vehicle braking system or not. Because of the serious injuries and/or deaths, a detailed investigation is sure to ensue and that investigation is virtually certain to reveal you were towing without a towed vehicle braking system.

Whether you were legally required to have one will be irrelevant when you’re slapped with a lawsuit alleging contributory negligence; e.g., Person X who died would have been injured but not killed if only the owner of this big expensive RV would have spent a few dollars more for a towed vehicle braking system. You may be able to establish that even with a towed vehicle braking system you wouldn’t have been able to stop in time, but how do you prove the dead person would have died either way? Even if you're fully exonerated, what you’ll spend to achieve that outcome will make a towed vehicle braking system seem like the best bargain of your life.

There are other reasons to have a towed vehicle braking system (like bringing your towed vehicle to a stop via a breakaway system if it happens to separate from your motorhome), but the scenarios above should be sufficient to make the point. Are they likely to occur? No. But if they do you’ll be very glad you have a towed vehicle braking system.

For what it’s worth, Amy & I have personally experienced #1 above. Yes, we had a braking system. And yes, we stopped mere inches from the vehicle in front. And it only took 20 or 30 minutes for my heartbeat to return to normal!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Just because you are legal to do something in your home state or province does not mean it will be allowed in other states or provinces. Triple towing is one such occurrence that comes to mind.
I agree with Don.

In Arizona where we live, the speed limit for our motorhome is the same whether we're towing our Jeep or not.

As soon as we cross the border into California they have one speed limit if we're driving the motorhome without the Jeep and a slower speed limit if we're towing the Jeep. If they pull me over for exceeding the "when towing" speed limit, I doubt the officer is going to let me slide when I tell him I don't have to drive slower when towing the Jeep in my home state.

Everything I've read suggests that towing laws are the same as firearm laws; i.e., we're required to comply with the applicable laws of the states in which we're traveling.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodg495 View Post
AWOL50,
Don't come to California, they are required.
"26458The braking system on every motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle shall be so arranged that one control on the towing vehicle shall, when applied, operate all the service brakes on the power unit and combination of vehicles when either or both of the following conditions exist: (1) The towing vehicle is required to be equipped with power brakes. (2) The towed vehicle is required to be equipped with brakes and is equipped with power brakes."
You failed to include subsection (c). Hmmm. I wonder why?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Not all 12 year olds are brilliant. Does ignoring safety, shirking responsibility and endangering others still seem like the right decision?
Pretty much all 12 year olds would have done the same thing as the poster. Shrug their shoulders and get in the car.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodwrench View Post

State by state trailer breaking requirement laws are quite a bit different than tinted window and front license plate laws. If you pass through a state that requires brakes on the trailer or toad you are pulling they don't care where you are from or what state your coach is registered in. You must comply with trailer brake regulations for each state you travel through. That is a fact.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Toad brake systems are only required where mandated by law. I don't use one. Not required by law. And these brake systems are unreliable and cause many problems on their own.
I have never, ever heard of a 3000# toad completely separate from an RV let alone hurt anyone. Have you? If so provide details. I doubt you can.
Here's a photo of one that came darn close. Notice the PS safety cable is already disconnected. I read the owner's original post and he admitted he did not have any type of towed braking system.

Legalities aside just think about what could have happened if he was on a highway when the rest of it disconnected. That Jeep would have been free-wheeling possibly into oncoming traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wobble damage.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	252881  
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, safety, tow