Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
And we could all drive 40mph too. I don't have a brake system on my 2800# toad and won't ever. Legal is legal.
Of all the things to worry over, pulling a small toad legally is not one of them.
Nobody has ever documented to me a fatality from a legally towed vehicle without braking being the cause of a fatality by breaking away. Still waiting.
I kind of laugh when I see 20 ton RVs passing me at 70 mph pulling 2-3 ton vehicles that have braking, preach to others on the virtues of peace of mind.
Are you claiming that your set up, with no braking system and no break away system, is legal in the contiguous 48 states?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #100

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
No. Legal is legal. And where is the fatalities? All I see is a car with front end damage.

While it is obvious no one is going to talk you into a brake system, you are not legal in all states! Some have a 1500 lb. limit for adding brakes. I’m sure you will probably never get a ticket for it but you are not legal everywhere.
Hopefully you will never regret your decision.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #102

Entegra Owners Club
How does the old saying go.......Can’t teach common sense, can’t fix stupid.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #103

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Exactly why I still believe there should be an RV license requirement nationwide. Then there would be no excuse for "I didn't know". Texas I one of the few smart states.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 07-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
I don’t think the safety cables or the fact he had no brake system on the toad had anything to with this failure. The whole front clip on the passenger side is torn loose which brings into question the method the base plate was install. Was this involved in an accident?
From the overlaid wording on the photo my guess is the damage came from the Jeep Death Wobble.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Exactly why I still believe there should be an RV license requirement nationwide. Then there would be no excuse for "I didn't know". Texas I one of the few smart states.
There’s also: The acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Personally, I wouldn’t have high hopes for the effectiveness of an RV licensing program on the national level. Does the knowledge required to obtain the necessary endorsement in Texas, or any other state, truly qualify anyone to operate an RV in a safe manner?

Finally, how does one determine the “smartness” of a state?
Old 07-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #106

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
There’s also: The acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Personally, I wouldn’t have high hopes for the effectiveness of an RV licensing program on the national level. Does the knowledge required to obtain the necessary endorsement in Texas, or any other state, truly qualify anyone to operate an RV in a safe manner?

Finally, how does one determine the “smartness” of a state?
Having to study for a test would at least give people the knowledge of common sense laws. If they choose not to practice them, then they have no excuse not to be ticketed.
As for smart states: how many outside of those that have taken a test could pass an air safety test on MH equipped with air brakes?? I'll bet not many. I won't even go into towing laws as this post has already showed that a few are lacking that knowledge.
I wish my state was as smart as TX requiring a licenses for RV's over 26.000 pounds.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 07-12-2019, 11:47 PM   #107

I'm legal wherever I go. Why the obsession with "legal". You never drive over speed limits? Complete stops at all stop signs? Etc.
As far as I can tell, nobody has ever pointed out even one fatality caused by an under 3000# toad separation accident from a toad with no aux brakes....ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
While it is obvious no one is going to talk you into a brake system, you are not legal in all states! Some have a 1500 lb. limit for adding brakes. I’m sure you will probably never get a ticket for it but you are not legal everywhere.
Hopefully you will never regret your decision.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Hard to teach manners too.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:13 AM   #109

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hard to teach manners too.
For someone that argues a need to see a fatality from a runaway towed car before he would consider putting on a braking system we are well beyond manners.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
Old 07-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #110

And I was accused of posting "snarky comments"

Old 07-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
And I was accused of posting "snarky comments"

I remember that........ LOL.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #112

Quote:
I'm legal wherever I go. Why the obsession with "legal". You never drive over speed limits? Complete stops at all stop signs? Etc.
As far as I can tell, nobody has ever pointed out even one fatality caused by an under 3000# toad separation accident from a toad with no aux brakes....ever.
Can you provided us with documentation to support your statement about being legal wherever you go?

Some have suggested that towing regulations and enforcement are established by each state and that there is no reciprocity for non-compliance.

At this point I just don’t know who to believe without documentation.
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, safety, tow