Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #1

Noisy ODS slide when going out

2018 Aspire 44W

My ODS slide has always been slow..but I think that is normal. The noise it makes coming in or going out has always been the same with its volume and its pitch.. it was not very loud and it had a higher pitch sound.

Then, 2 days ago, it started making a louder, lower pitched grrring sound. I have never heard that sound before. When the slide gets to the point where it drops down for the final inches, the sound goes back to the good old sound I love. Has this happened to anyone before? anything to look for?
Deeper grrrrr sound
Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #2

You taken a flashlight and laid down on the floor and looked to see if the steel rollers under the slide inside the coach are moving freely, or might be jammed by some object on the floor that you missed? No scuffing or marking on your tile that might indicate that something is jammed in the rollers?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

I agree with Gary, but I'd also look outside under the slide too. You'll see the wheels that turn as the slide moves. Look for some unusual wear.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Take to slide motor cover off. Check the mounting bolts are not loose twisting the motor under torque and check the bearing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #5

look underneath from outside

When the slide is about 1/2 to 2/3 out, before it starts to drop down, go outside and get under the slide. The rubber flap seal can be pulled back and with a strong light and some careful "examination" with your hand check for debris and obstructions under the slide. Once the slide drops down the seal will be fully depressed and you cannot see the main floor under the slide floor so catch it well before it drops down and pull the flap down and peer under there. Look at the rollers for things like stray tie wraps curled around the roller or other stray screws or paper. I found a socket and a screw driver as well as several screws, a pad of paper and tie wraps all under the slide. Left there from the factory. Ironically the paper pad was a tic list of repairs being marked off and some of the items on the list alerted me to problems I had not found yet that were never fixed.

My front slide on the door side had to have the front roller replaced because the rubber was peeling off from being cut spirally by a left over tie wrap that wound around it. it was squealing pretty good as it tried to turn with the rubber coating balling up.

when you pull the rubber flap down you can just get your hand in there to slide along and feel for debris but be carefull of sharps and the unexpected and make sure no one is near the slide switch as your hand will pose no resistance if the slide extends and drops down!

X2 on checking the motor bolts for tightness. the bolts from the motor as well as the screws anchoring the motor to the wood.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #6

thank you everyone.
I will be under the slide tomorrow looking for clues.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

Czeeb?
So, are you making any progress? Are you figuring out what is causing your problems?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Czeeb?
So, are you making any progress? Are you figuring out what is causing your problems?

Gary
I apologize for not responding sooner. I was given a high priority task at work. I have found that it is the slide motor that is making that sound. I did not see any issues with the any other part of the slide. I was able to get an appointment with NIRV in Phoenix this coming Friday so I will have them do a complete analysis on the entire slide. I am hoping it is just the motor and they can replace it.
Do you think I could try "tapping" on the motor while it is sliding?
Thank you all again for all your comments.
Curtis
Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by czeeb View Post
I apologize for not responding sooner. I was given a high priority task at work. I have found that it is the slide motor that is making that sound. I did not see any issues with the any other part of the slide. I was able to get an appointment with NIRV in Phoenix this coming Friday so I will have them do a complete analysis on the entire slide. I am hoping it is just the motor and they can replace it.
Do you think I could try "tapping" on the motor while it is sliding?
Thank you all again for all your comments.
Curtis
Not being able to hear the noise it is making.....it could be the bearing or gear making the noise under the load. I doubt if tapping on the motor will stop the noise.

Check the bolts on the motor to see if they are tight. It may only be the bolts are loose.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #10

Noisy ODS slide when going out

I am currently at NIRVC Lewisville, the bradket that secures the roller to the coach was loose making all the noise. Quiet as a church mouse now. I should have said what you described was what we were experiencing, we were worrying the slide would not come in, it did, we're safe and fixed in Lewisville,
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #11

Went to NIRV in Phoenix this morning. They confirmeed I had a bad front slide motor ( front motor of ODS big slide) and replaced it. I am back to normal and a happy camper. These guys in Phoenix are very friendly, professional and competent. I highly recommend them.

Tags
slide