Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Non-stowing HD TV antenna

Has anyone replaced their Winegard Sensar antenna with a disk type TV antenna? Since I've already hooked ours on a power line I'm looking at replacing it with something I don't have to remember to lower when we move. Currently looking a King Controls Digital Jack.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #2

King Jack

I bought the King Jack for my Race Trailer, but was surprised to see how light and flimsy it was made...I will now buy the new Winegard Razar Automatic antenna for my motorhome, as it looks to be a heavier duty product, but over twice the price.
mcorcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I ran the gamut with TV antennae. Our last coach came with your basic Winegard batwing which didn't impress me as far as signal strength goes. We removed it because we didn't want the hassle of putting it up and down all the time. Plus, we rarely used off-air and mainly watch SATV so it frequently gets forgotten about.

I heard about the TripleH saucer type setup that Tiffin was using but from reading all the posts, that thing was far from trouble free and you had to aim it. I then installed a Winegard Roadstar 2000 antenna. This too is a saucer type antenna so you never have to raise or lower it. It's also omnidirectional so you never have to aim it. This was the most hassle free setup that I've seen but it didn't pick up stations any better than the old batwing.

I then went with a King Jack. This is a fairly flimsy looking unit but it did seem to hold up. It doesn't have to be raised or lowered because it always sits about a foot higher than the roof. It's designed to be an easy replacement for a batwing. This unit had better signal strength than the last too but not overly impressive and you did have to aim it so it wasn't hassle free.

Winegard made a Wingman module that cliped onto the batwing antenna that supposedly really helps pull in the signal. While I haven't had any personal experience with the Wingman, many others have and report it does boost the signal. So my guess is that the Wingman setup probably brings in the best signal of all the above, although you have to raise, lower and aim the thing again. I t appears that the newest Sensar IV antenna has a version of the Wingman built in so you won't need to add that.

Last fall I did an article on the London Aire for FMCA and the Dutch Star for Motorhome Magazine. While testing them I found that they had a Winegard Sensar Pro antenna control in an interior cabinet that had LED displays showing signal strength as well as up and down controls. They had the best signal I've yet seen, and I'm familiar with that area because I test lots of coaches there. Yet, the antenna wasn't even raised. I did raise it just to see if the power lift worked but then lowered it right away but never actually took a physical look at the antenna, which I now regret. It pulled in great signal strength just laying flat on the roof without being aimed or raised, which was impressive. But, by not looking at the actual antenna I can't say whether or not it was a Sensar IV or Rayzar Air. The controller showed signal strength and had an adjustable gain amplifier so you could find the best direction prior to running your channel scan. Note that this is not the same controller that I saw on the 2015 Cornerstone I also looked at last fall.

I'm not familiar with the Rayzar Air so if anyone has one, feel free to share how you do or don't like it. I like the hassle free features of the Rayzar Automatic but height is might when it comes to UHF signals and after my experiences with the Roadstar 2000 and King Jack I'm a bit reluctant to try that one.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I am very keen on the features of the Rayzar Automatic. It looks to me like the perfect solution, but alas, it is only 7" high and my Girard awnings are higher off the roof than that, so the signal would likely be blocked by the awnings and never reach the antenna.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Has anyone replaced their Winegard Sensar antenna with a disk type TV antenna? Since I've already hooked ours on a power line I'm looking at replacing it with something I don't have to remember to lower when we move. Currently looking a King Controls Digital Jack.
Robert, you should have a warning readout and an audible warning if the antenna isn't stowed. At least on mine both antennas have a warning if not stowed.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I put on the jack antenna....works pretty good....I'm happy with the change.

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
bcp

Quote:
I put a chip clip on the steering wheel when I crank the HD TV antenna up. I store the clip on the crank when the antenna is down. Works perfectly and the cost is low.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
I put a chip clip on the steering wheel when I crank the HD TV antenna up. I store the clip on the crank when the antenna is down. Works perfectly and the cost is low.
I'll ask again. Do you guys not have a visual and audible warning if the elect. over the air antenna is not stowed? Noel
Old 03-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I'll ask again. Do you guys not have a visual and audible warning if the elect. over the air antenna is not stowed? Noel
I do and it's loud. It would be hard for me to leave with the antenna up, I would think it was a low air warning.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I do and it's loud. It would be hard for me to leave with the antenna up, I would think it was a low air warning.
Thanks, Chuck. I think it would be impossible to leave the antenna up with that thing going off. Noel
Old 03-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

I did not have any warning other than the DW yelling into to rear camera mic. I cannot understand why after all these years that they cannot come up with an antenna that will automatically go down when you turn on the key. They do it with the steps, why not the antenna. More designers actually have to own and operate RVs. This makes no sense having to deal with this on a $350,000 coach.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Robert, you made a good point that others my want to check if their warning is working.
Raise the antenna up and put the MH in gear and see if the visual dash and warning sound is working.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
I did not have any warning other than the DW yelling into to rear camera mic. I cannot understand why after all these years that they cannot come up with an antenna that will automatically go down when you turn on the key. They do it with the steps, why not the antenna. More designers actually have to own and operate RVs. This makes no sense having to deal with this on a $350,000 coach.
Robert, you should have the warning if the antenna is not stowed. Sounds like they need to fix your warning system. Actually, the warning will sound if either antenna is not stowed when mh is put in gear. Noel
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #14

I have a 2014 and drove for about 10 miles yesterday with antenna up no alarm
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, tow, towing