Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Observations at Spartan Charlotte

An advanced trading class was just finishing up; everyone seemed extremely happy with the training. Recommend you check the web site for training prices. I heard some wild comments about pricing while at Entegra from other owners; what I found is that prices are up slightly from what we paid in 2013, but there are now more elements and exhibits in the training.

SURPRISINGLY, there are five weeks during the May through early Oct time frame when training classes aren't scheduled; 80% of the classes are Entegra unique (a surprise, but good). But each class takes most of the tech bays and technicians, checking out coaches and making repairs/dealing with recalls. Why offer this observation...if you want to come here for service or repairs (and JMHO, they are worth the visit because they are good), you need to plan your visit up to a year out. That is just they way things are...don't like it, but they are just busy with classes and associated work.

Advisory, and JMHO, won't see any big changes in the future as long as a demand for classes continues.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

How much difference is there in the remote training classes vs the classes held at Spartan?
Dugcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

I tried to schedule a inspection at Spartan last week after our Sept PDI but the are booking in November. Will try another time.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
More obs and info:

- Grease zerks - many are asking in the classes here. According to trading guys, there are so many coach company variants, each having zerks in different places, a chart may be a while in coming. Don't blame Entegra, unless you feel Entegra should be working Spartan one about this.

- Radiator leaks - the company supplying these radiators is the largest in the world, for what it is worth.

- Spartan continues to try to find a solution to hub seal leaks; but, filling to the full line will cause oil to come out of the overflow tube when the wheels heat up during operation, so if you are at the full line, your leak may not be a seal. This is my third time with this coach; I am supposing that this may have been the issue at least the second time fixed as oil was pooled in the bottom of the hub cover.

- 44 pt inspection and findings would suggest that not withstanding a couple of problematic OEM things (Rayco Ball joints, radiator, hub seals), after 3 years and 38k miles, I am very happy with the results of the inspection. This K3 is a good chassis.

- Labor rates are high, but I think this place is worth the 1.5 hour trip North from Middlebury. JMHO, but recommend you schedule a year in advance of 3 year pt (warrantee on the chassis and much of the OEM (except power and drive systems, 5 year), and come to the factory for a final look under warrantee.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Nice report Dave. Spartan can stop the problems....all they have to do is use the same parts they did when they built the Mountain Master chassis for the Travel Supreme. I can't recall any chassis problems posted back then, I know I never had any.
However with their vendor all out sourcing, I guess they get the short end as well. I saw first hand how Meritor lied up one side and down the other to Spartan.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I think the problem could be that the same parts are no longer the same parts. Look at the Aquahot for example. Entegra specified the same Aquahot model all along, but the Aquahot factory changed the pumps to cheaper ones without telling anyone. The same might be said for various items on the chassis. You never know when a chassis part supplier will decide to save some money and outsource or cheapen their product. This is very hard for the customer (Entegra) to control.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
So true Marc... when Meritor a "Made in America" company lied up one side and down the other to Spartan, it took legal action for Meritor to admit a set of "quite ride" rear end gears would have to be made in their plant in Monterrey Mexico. It is impossible for Spartan to control the vendor lies. Where are the problem wheel seals really being made, India, China? who knows. Aqua Hot is a perfect example and you used it well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
- Grease zerks - many are asking in the classes here. According to trading guys, there are so many coach company variants, each having zerks in different places, a chart may be a while in coming. Don't blame Entegra, unless you feel Entegra should be working Spartan one about this.

I don't understand where Spartan is coming from with this statement.
There is not a grease fitting on these coaches that was installed by Entegra. Every grease fitting on this chassis is a part of Spartan or Spartan's vendor.
There is not a whole lot of difference between the grease fittings on a K2 and K3. The K3 has disc brakes all around so there is no brake cam bushings to grease or slack adjusters The K3 has U joints for the fan drive so there is an additional fitting or two there.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Gas,

I get where you're coming from; however, the manufacturers do specify different configurations in the chassis. Certainly the main components should be different, but don't shoot the messenger. My understanding is a number of folks coming through the classes here have been giving them the rasberries about this.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Not shooting the messenger. [emoji3] I think Entegra is Spartan's biggest motor coach customer with the K2 and K3.
Our 2017 Anthem has the grease fittings in the same location as our 2013 Aspire with IFS.
They are trying to make this more difficult than it really is.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan