Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

Oh Poo!!!

Over the weekend we were camping with friends at the Onalaska KOA. We had a fantastic time and really enjoy the new coach.

Unfortunately, we needed to dump tanks after just one day.. gotta love Hollywood showers and steaming hot water from the AH.

As I'm dumping, the flexible macerator hose ruptured about 1" from where it begins within the storage bay. The really excellent part of this is that the pressurized material was contained within the storage bay, so no "shower of sadness."

Why a 2017 is still being delivered with such a well known issue is a bit of a mystery to me. I though I would be able to procrastinate on fixing this for a while, but evidently 2 months of careful use and about 8 dump cycles was just too much.

Thank goodness Thetford provides an alternate drain.

On to my question..

How often does the actual macerator pump have issues?

Thanks,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

On my 14 so far so good .. no problems of any kind.. kinda slow but always works as intended...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Is it just an inevitability that the flexible macerator hose will fail? I know of at least two cases. If it is going to fail anyway I am inclined to convert to this system:

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-35972...t+waste+master

This thing looks like you could never beat it up and unlike many it is smooth on the inside. It just seems like it would be a tight fit once the conversion was made to the existing nipple. It compacts to 5', so there would need a place to store it, but if the thing is going to blow up anyway I would like to get out in front of the problem - um - not in the way you are thinking.
Franko Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Thanks, I am just deciding which way to go on my Mod/Repair.

I like the macerator, not the hose. I'm going to use a 90 degree PVC elbow and come off the rubber junction where the uphill slope goes into the storage bay for the hose. This elbow will aim down through the metal wet bay floor and exit where I'll adapt it into a typical garden hose. Then into the sewer.

-Matt
Old 10-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
This elbow will aim down through the metal wet bay floor and exit where I'll adapt it into a typical garden hose. Then into the sewer.

-Matt
Maybe that is a better solution. Here is a 1" hose that looks strong. Available in 10' and this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Dump-CD...1DY8TJ2EE4YVV1

Maybe attach everything with Banjo couplers.
Franko Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The maceration hose looks sturdy to me, no problems so far. Have only dumped about 5 times however. The macerator hose looks just like the central vac hose, wonder if they are the same?

Is it possible that changes have been made in later 2017 manufactured models?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Matt,

I'm on my second hose. The first one lasted about 100 nights. Probably 30 to 40 dumps. It sprang pin hole size leaks that are easily repaired with electrical tape. I called CS and they shipped me a new one while we were on the road this summer. I just modified my system by rerouting the 1 1/2 inch pvc in the wet bay to come out of the pump and then straight down through the wet bay floor, then to the edge of the coach. I put cam lock fittings on the pipe and the hose. I'll continue using the sani-con hose while under warranty, then I'll switch to a 1 1/2 hose that is blue, and flat like a fire hose and available at Tractor Supply and Lowes. When empty it will simply roll up and store in the compartment. I did this modification mainly so I can empty the sani-con hose to avoid it freezing in the unheated compartment and to reduce the chafing at the door opening while pumping.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #8

Larry, that is exactly what I'm visualizing. I don't think I'm even going to bother with another hose, but we will see.

For the last 5 years I've used a water jet macerator called Sewer Solution. This system easily adapts into PVC and you can pump a long ways. While I may not totally abandon the stock macerator, because it works really fast, I can adapt it to PVC.

I'd also like to create a false set bay floor with some actual slope, so water spillage doesn't result in water remaining in the bay. Our Tiffin had a plastic drop pan with slope. You could wash it down and it would self dry.

Hopefully I can post a couple of pics later in the week.

Thanks guys,

-Matt
Old 10-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tex View Post
Matt,

I'm on my second hose. The first one lasted about 100 nights. Probably 30 to 40 dumps. It sprang pin hole size leaks that are easily repaired with electrical tape. I called CS and they shipped me a new one while we were on the road this summer. I just modified my system by rerouting the 1 1/2 inch pvc in the wet bay to come out of the pump and then straight down through the wet bay floor, then to the edge of the coach. I put cam lock fittings on the pipe and the hose. I'll continue using the sani-con hose while under warranty, then I'll switch to a 1 1/2 hose that is blue, and flat like a fire hose and available at Tractor Supply and Lowes. When empty it will simply roll up and store in the compartment. I did this modification mainly so I can empty the sani-con hose to avoid it freezing in the unheated compartment and to reduce the chafing at the door opening while pumping.
If you could post photos, that would be helpful. We've also had a pinhole after about 60 nights and maybe 25 dumps. Fortunately it was only gray tank liquid.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I did the modification you are describing as well after my hose decided to drench my hose compartment. Luckily it was only gray water, but still a head scratcher how this issue seems to just continue. I switched to cam locks as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477282611.517052.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	142436

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477282655.461201.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	142437

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477282698.249272.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	142438

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477282748.519255.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	142439
UncleJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Here is how I attached it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477282955.490576.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	142441

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477282987.457155.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	142442

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477283014.186862.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	142443

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477283075.000916.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	142444
Old 10-24-2016, 04:23 AM   #12

Jamie, that looks fantastic, where did you locate the cam locks? Also, what style hose are you using from the coach to the sewer? I found a discharge hose at Northern tools that is a cam lock 1 1/2".

Thanks,

-Matt
Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Matt.. I ordered the cam locks from Amazon. The hose is very thick (rated to be buried) purchased from Lowes. I thought about using PVC, but thought the flexible hose would be a little more forgiving with the constant movement of the coach.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Oh Poo!!!

Matt.. Forgot to address the discharge hose..

The discharge hose I'm currently using is the replacement hose that Entegra sent me. I put cam lock fittings on it. When it fails and I'm out of warranty I will hunt for a replacement. I did purchase this one from Amazon as a back up, but haven't tried it yet as I've heard these type tend to kink if you put a bend in them. It's a small footprint to haul around and will serve as an emergency back up for now, since I have very little confidence in the OEM hose.