Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Smile Oil Change & Lube $

It is time for our first Oil Change and Lube. Lazydays will cost us about $600 for oil, filter ,fuel filters, and generator service. Coach Care in Ocala is about same price. Any other recommendations. Speedco is under $300 but does not include Generator.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator

I think Speedco charged me about $95.00 for the generator, they call it an APU.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Lazy days did not do a proper job on mine. I will get it done elsewhere. There I said it nicely ; my wife would be shocked.
Really they are so busy they just cant take the time to pay attention ; find another service center.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Oil change

I go to Speedco Everytime I can. They are usually 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a dealership or Cummins. The problem for me is they don't have shops in FL. The only downside to Speedco is I have to watch their techs like a hawk because they are generally covered in oil and they sometimes have to enter the RV.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #5

Speedco for me also. Every time I leave Florida I locate one in an adjoining state (they are all over the Country) and call in. Last time I think it was about $250 for the engine, with lube. But they never have the fuel filter for this 500 ism engine, so I carry my own and they install it. Best part is they get you back on the road within an hour or two.

BTW...you can change the generator oil yourself. What's so hard about dumping it and installing a filter?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I go to Speedco Everytime I can. They are usually 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a dealership or Cummins. The problem for me is they don't have shops in FL. The only downside to Speedco is I have to watch their techs like a hawk because they are generally covered in oil and they sometimes have to enter the RV.
What do they have to come in for? Do they let you drive into the bay or do they have to do it?

Really bugs me at some of the quick change places that require you to let their oily tech drive your pickup or car with light colored seats into the bay, do they really think I can't drive?
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You guys are funny about oil changes. It's one of the easiest jobs to do yourself and really gives you a chance to get under the coach and inspect. Plus it saves you money....but that's not the best reason to do it. You have a vested interest in the coach, anc changing that oil is one of the best things you can do for your engine. The generator is even easier. I notice some people only change the motorcoach oil once a year. Bizaar. You would never do that on your car.....what makes you throw the rulebook out the window when it comes to the motorhome? I don't get it. Change the damn oil every three thousand miles or three months. Get a grip
Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post
You guys are funny about oil changes. It's one of the easiest jobs to do yourself and really gives you a chance to get under the coach and inspect. Plus it saves you money....but that's not the best reason to do it. You have a vested interest in the coach, anc changing that oil is one of the best things you can do for your engine. The generator is even easier. I notice some people only change the motorcoach oil once a year. Bizaar. You would never do that on your car.....what makes you throw the rulebook out the window when it comes to the motorhome? I don't get it. Change the damn oil every three thousand miles or three months. Get a grip
Sorry, but changing oil every three months or 3000 miles is a complete waste of money. Perhaps your are the one who needs to "get a grip."
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

Service Your Vehicle

I don't think changing oil on a diesel engine is needed every 3,000 miles, but, it won't hurt anything but your pocketbook. I owned semi trucks for several years, and we serviced every 12,000 to 15,000 miles, or about every 3-4 weeks. We also did oil analysis, (which is your best indicator of wear and if your service interval is appropriate), and it only costs about $15.00. If the truck was not near home when it needed service we would take it to the nearest service center / truck stop and have it done.

You would not believe how many times they forgot to tighten the fuel filter, or the oil filter, or the truck would just quit running about 30 miles out, because they put an o'ring in wrong / backwards or whatever. I also noticed when I greased things, 4 or 5 pumps on the gun and fitting was full. If I had it serviced on the road, the next time I did it, it was 10 to 12 pumps on the gun. Obviously they weren't greasing fittings properly.

It also allowed me to crawl under that truck from front to back, and I caught lots of little things that would have turned in to big things latter on, like loose clamps, loose wiring, chaffing wires or air lines.

Like Red Green says, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Servicing your motorhome, if you are able, is the one thing that pays off in many ways.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

Ditto on doing this stuff on your own.
1. You won't believe how simple it is to do on your own.
2. You can use the BEST oils, I won't suggest any because someone will find a problem with it
3. You have no one else to blame if you see any grease inside the coach
4. You will save so much money you can take the DW out on the town or buy her whatever she wants.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too believe in changing my own oil. I make it easy by installing the Qwik Valve on all my vehicles. Eliminated the need for a oil plug wrench and allows oil to flow straight into recycle jugs.. Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™
I choose to use the extra large 2 qt oil filters on my GMC Vortec. Allows an extra quart of oil for the engine.

Sliding under my vehicles allows me to personally inspect the entire undercarriage, i.e. hoses, fittings, seals, clamps, mufflers, brakes, wirings, etc.
Too many times I have seen things that free inspections from repair shops have over looked.

I have found that with an oil analysis, big diesels like Cat's only need an oil change once a year.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Oil Change

I use Speedco, they do a great job, I drive my coach in to bay .
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Pruitt View Post
I use Speedco, they do a great job, I drive my coach in to bay .
Thank you for the answer Dale.

I wasn't really looking for the advice to do it myself that I got. To each his own. Why should I take time to do an oil change myself when I can be operating in my profession and make 5-10 times what I pay for the oil change in the same time. I am completely capable of doing an oil change and much more but at this stage of life why step over a dollar picking up a dime.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
How about because both the chassis and the engine makers recommend it, but what's that to you...every three months, get a grip. Jiffy Lube and your car dealership must love to see you walking in.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote