Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #15

Thanks for the ideas. I spent some more time with it today with no success. I had already checked the connections for corrosion at the remote control wire harness and replaced the AC condensate drain hose based on a previous post about that water dripping problem. Did get the unit to respond and read out a code but it was a useless code 32 - "cranking speed to low" which is obvious since it is not cranking at all. I'll learn more Tuesday. I suspect something like a relay as mentioned.
jestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Constant rapid clicking.... Like perhaps from an electric fuel pump?

This will only happen if the pump is NOT sucking fuel.. IF it is sucking fuel then it will click a few times and stop... But if it is not sucking fuel no pressure will build up so it will never stop.. JUST like the water pump in fact. Same idea, only for a different reason.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #17

fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
I had a similar problem and had to replace the K2 relay. They have had a high failure rate and have an improved version now.
Bsedor gets the prize........failed K2 relay

made a pilgrimage to Cummins-Bridgeway in Grand Rapids, MI. on Monday eve for a Tuesday 7:00 AM appointment. Stayed in their secured parking lot at "Camp Cummins" with a 50 amp plugin thoughtfully provided.

Since this is a 24/7 facility the second shift service guys were extremely helpful and walked out to the lot to show me exactly where to park and plug in and made sure things were secure.

Tech showed up at 7:15 A as planned and basically diagnosed the problem within minutes and pulled our coach inside to work on it. He called us on my cel before we even finished breakfast at Russ's nearby and said it was finished.

Gen works as advertised now. Just a tiny relay........

Can't say enough good about this Cummins Bridgeway facility in Grand Rapids. Next to an expressway, extremely well marked and easy in and out. Lots of security measures. Extremely neat and clean facility. Amazing to see the huge equipment they were working on in there yet you could eat off the white floors. No need to clean your shoes returning to the coach. I wanted to take my shoes off to go into their service write-up area.

Many thanks to the folks there. They had actually serviced our coach previously at this facility, including replacing the pinion seal (leaking) and lube/oil/filters, before we originally took delivery since we are second owners and the trade-in was arranged by the Entegra dealer about a mile away. Once they made the connection via the VIN they took the time to update the service records with the new owner and contact info. Just a bunch of details taken care of that you do not expect from most places.

Much nicer than the indifference with which I was treated at the C-B facility 5 miles from my house in Novi, Mich!! They were not only indifferent to my questions but said I had to wait 2.5 weeks for an appointment for them to just look at the problem when I basically described all they needed to know that it was a quick repair. It was worth the 2.5 hour drive each way and the overnight to get such nice service. Plus we squeezed in a family visit before heading back to Detroit.

Also found out about joining the Cummins Powerclub for $20 which immediately saved me $20 on the repair and gets me 10% on parts from Cummins in the future as well as the usual bulletins and news letter. Other place never mentioned that to me, either.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Constant rapid clicking.... Like perhaps from an electric fuel pump?

This will only happen if the pump is NOT sucking fuel.. IF it is sucking fuel then it will click a few times and stop... But if it is not sucking fuel no pressure will build up so it will never stop.. JUST like the water pump in fact. Same idea, only for a different reason.

This is partially true of what I found out. My generator would click constantly when "priming" or pressing the crank switch. Other units I had looked at would not click but I could hear a slight hum when priming that was supposed to be the fuel pump per the "expert" on hand.

Turns out the clicking is indeed the fuel pump. But, the clicking would continue as long as you held the prime or crank switches even though the pump was indeed pumping and moving fuel. So, the clicking does not stop with the fuel pump on my gen.

The clicking was part of my confusion as I thought it would stop if it were the fuel pump , instead I thought it was low voltage to the starter/starter relay. I had cleaned all the 12 volt connections and jumpered them out with redundant jumper cables with no success. I even jumped the generator from a known good charged battery with no change in the clicking.

Turns out the "k2" relay is a very small relay that apparently feeds the main starter relay separately.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #19

I'm glad it worked out for you. Why wasn't it covered under warranty?
bsedor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
I'm glad it worked out for you. Why wasn't it covered under warranty?
Good point, they have a 2 year warranty....
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
jestal, excellent report, thank you for sharing. For future reference, where is the K2 relay located?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #22

Unfortunately I did not find out the location of the k2 relay for future reference. I was just googling the relay part number to try and locate it exactly so I can carry a spare and replace if necessary again.

There is part of the Onan warranty I guess that references "major components" and this little relay didn't qualify and me being the second owner and the unit having been in service for 2.5 years it was a gray area for warranty. Since the whole deal was only $152 and the guys had gone out of their way to help me so far I decided it was fair and decided to save the arguing for something bigger one day.......
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #23

wow good news
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
K2 right front corner behind the air filter. You can peek in and see it with a light, three standard relays side by side... but to change one the top cover has to come off. If you get that far in, replace all three.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan