RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
I'm not so sure that sticks & bricks homes are not becoming depreciating assets as well! Sure, there is still some crazy $$ appreciation in some of the very expensive areas of the country. But in most areas, I think you're doing well to break even or lose only a little Home ownership is at a 50-year low and I'm not sure who is going to buy all the baby-boomers' houses as they continue to retire? Many millennials either have no money or no interest in owning homes.

That's a valid point

dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
We just entered full timing. Sold the nice Florida S&B July first. Got top dollar. Sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist. Donated a lot to a local homeless mission and donated about half my tools and equipment to Habitat for Humanity. Storing the rest for now why we build a 1000 sq ft coach house. A big transition. So much stuff we bought over the years we don't use much or really value.

I still work for the next three years but my job (airline pilot) allows me to live pretty much anywhere. Right now the RV and DW are near family paying back DW for all those years in the military. It's nice being "super grandparents" and being able to move between cities for big family events.

The funniest thing is when folks ask us where we live now.....we say depends on what day it is!

We have so much stuff we should be donating. It was my wife's dream to have a super sized walk in closet. So we built one that all the women would love. It's bigger than a lot of bedrooms and full of stuff we don't wear. I call it "the clothes museum". And I'm just as guilty as my wife in acquiring stuff we don't really need.

After years of working and building a business and marriage......we just want to simplify. Too much stuff.

dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #31

We went full time 3 years ago after more then 40 years of owning a multi-generational farm operation. The next generation didn't want the farm no matter how we structured a transition and we totally understood and in many ways were relieved as they had great jobs way to good to give up.

The toughest part was making the decision to sell , which took a year and then took 6 years to complete a sale because we were a protected farm ( not allowed to develop ) BUT the RELIEF we felt after and ever since has been so rewarding. As others have said the costs associated with home, land and business ownership in some parts of the USA have become way too burdensome. Our property tax alone had risen in excess of 12K not to mention insurance, diesel fuel, fertilizer, maintenance, equipment costs , etc.

Full timing isn't for everyone and how long it will be for us is to be determined, but as long as we are enjoying our life style, health allows us and either we visit or the family visits us we'll continue . Heck, there's so much more to see !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
We owned a nice home in a high end subdivision, it took us exactly 2 years to sell. During this time we realized how much it cost us in taxes, maintenance, insurance, utilities, security, all together nearly $30,000 a year and we still ended up selling it at a big loss well under value due to the current state of the economy and political situation at the moment. Heirloom furniture and other to us valuable items are safe in storage.
If hind sight was 20/20 ......

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

We identify with your post almost 100%. I've looked at home maintenance, utilities and taxes, and I would need $3k a month to just live in the house when it's paid off. I'm 10 years away from retirement, so my question to you is, what do you mean when you say save, save, save, other than the obvious save for retirement? We're thinking of getting out of california as soon as we retire, but probably will buy a smaller home somewhere else, after full timing for a short period of time to see what we like.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #33

We sold our campground on June 15th, bought a Vilano 5er and spent the summer in the campground we sold. This Friday, Sept 8th, we start our travels. We'll come back to our former campground for 2 months next summer and then hit the road again. We don't have a S&B anymore. Our plan is to fulltime for 2 years and then re-assess. I love the fact that we can do whatever we want. If all goes well, I think we'll keep fulltiming until we have to stop.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xbear View Post
We identify with your post almost 100%. I've looked at home maintenance, utilities and taxes, and I would need $3k a month to just live in the house when it's paid off. I'm 10 years away from retirement, so my question to you is, what do you mean when you say save, save, save, other than the obvious save for retirement? We're thinking of getting out of california as soon as we retire, but probably will buy a smaller home somewhere else, after full timing for a short period of time to see what we like.
Mmmh, I don't see it what am I missing
Old 09-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I guess I was hoping the solution to my dilemma was hidden in that quote

Tags
full time