RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Yes indeed! We did set up a MT LLC. We have no plans on bringing the rig into CA for some time. We have to go back but the RV will stay in Montana until we return for it!

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #16

Congratulations on the new coach. Hope that if it had never been titled you got the one year factory warranty. That should at least get you through the shakedown period.

rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, wasn't titled so we got all the warranties.

I think we got lucky in finding this unit. 40' is good for us and will give a bit more flexibility in finding sites. Options are perfect. Aesthetics are also very good and match our tastes.

It's fine for a first rig! We count ourselves as fortunate to even be able to do this!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Enjoy your new coach I am sure you will Love it, they seem to be very popular.
livnadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #19

Although you are already in Montana and have set up a Montana LLC, did you give serious look at a South Dakota address. I believe that a lot of full-timers declare South Dakota as their residence with LOTS of advantages for doing so.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #20

More

My recollection is that South Dakota requires no ownership of actual property only a mailing address. That can be done through a mailing service. I think there are no inspections, and the plates were very inexpensive. I think that an issue is also insurance as a full-timer. That is all by memory. I encountered a rep from South Dakota at Perry GA FMCA 2 years ago and gave it some serious thought. You can Google South Dakota RV registration or advantages and you will easily come up with the information. The issue appears to be particularly attractive to full timers.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
We did what we could to save on sales taxes. We established a Montana LLC to hold titles to our RV and toad. Neither vehicle will enter CA for at least a couple of years

Unfortunately our home state will need to continue to be California. We have some rental properties in CA. Until those are sold, we are joined at the hip!!

We are also relying on Obamacare for a few more years (providing its around). I think I read that South Dakota doesn't offer any insurance plans with coverage out-of-state. California offers plans with nationwide coverage.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We did what we could to save on sales taxes. We established a Montana LLC to hold titles to our RV and toad. Neither vehicle will enter CA for at least a couple of years

Unfortunately our home state will need to continue to be California. We have some rental properties in CA. Until those are sold, we are joined at the hip!!

We are also relying on Obamacare for a few more years (providing its around). I think I read that South Dakota doesn't offer any insurance plans with coverage out-of-state. California offers plans with nationwide coverage.

1st - Congrats on your new coach... Understand your thought process. Enjoy.

We have rental property in CA, and file a 540NR (Non Resident). We chose SD as our Domicile when retiring, for no income tax. Saves us a bundle. The only thing that has shifted to a negative condition for us since retiring, is the impact of ACA (on us, not everyone). We are Pre 65, and finding PPO health insurance is a challenge in SD, to say the least. We ended up staying with a Group Retirement PPO out of North Carolina, they my pervious Aerospace company. So we have insurance, but instead of the under $10K a year I had in my working spreadsheets for retirement. (2013 SD PPO quotes of about $6.5K, with 20% inflation in my spread sheet per year until we both reached 65, as what I felt was a safe number to use. Well, retired at the end of 2012, before the full impact of ACA was known by anyone. And this year, we're paying $19.5K for insurance, with $6K deductible, and for that - we have worse coverage then we would have had from the plans that were quoted to us in 2011/2012 as we were in the planning phase!)

SD, TX, FL are all friendly states for RV Full Timers and Domicile. Do your homework on Healthcare, if that is a concern for you. And don't feel you must remain CA residents, as you only pay CA taxes on the rental income. Might work well for you.

Again, enjoy, and congrats on the new wheels!
Smitty
Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
1st - Congrats on your new coach... Understand your thought process. Enjoy.

We have rental property in CA, and file a 540NR (Non Resident). We chose SD as our Domicile when retiring, for no income tax. Saves us a bundle.

SD, TX, FL are all friendly states for RV Full Timers and Domicile. Do your homework on Healthcare, if that is a concern for you. And don't feel you must remain CA residents, as you only pay CA taxes on the rental income. Might work well for you.

Again, enjoy, and congrats on the new wheels!
Smitty
Very good information, thank you! I will absolutely check into this!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #24

AMERICAS MAILBOX is a good start for SD information and they will recommend both RV and Health insurance but there may have been a change in health insurance since we got ours in SD. I find it interesting that you qualify for ACA with investment properties and a motorhome though as we didn't in our previous property ownership situation nor do we now !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
AMERICAS MAILBOX is a good start for SD information and they will recommend both RV and Health insurance but there may have been a change in health insurance since we got ours in SD. I find it interesting that you qualify for ACA with investment properties and a motorhome though as we didn't in our previous property ownership situation nor do we now !
Hayman, 1) Everyone qualifies and can obtain ACA insurance; 2) Not everyone qualifies for subsidies; 3) Subsidies are determined by income based from your tax return, not by the assets you hold.

I have a pre-existing condition which is why ACA insurance works for me. I can obtain it. Has nothing to do with subsidies or costs.