Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Outfitting A New Entegra

Hello experienced Entegra Owners. My wife and I (both new to the RV ownership scene) are picking up our new 2016 Cornerstone 45B in several days from MotorHomes2Go in Grand Rapids Michigan. She is in charge of supplying the house side of the coach and is well along in that task. I am more concerned about what items are essential for safe camping and movement of the coach and what you all might recommend, as soon as possible once we take ownership. This might be as simple as important tools to carry along, wheel chocks, pads for the leveling jacks or TPMS for the tires. I am sure there are items I haven't even considered yet. Once we get the coach home (Indianapolis) we plan to find an instructor to really teach us best practices for inspecting and driving the coach. If anybody has recommendations about instructors in the midwest we would appreciate that advice as well. We are looking forward to this adventure and hope to be contributors to this excellent forum as well. Andy and Pattie Chester
ACPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #2

Get a 50 amp surge protector that you can plug into the RV Parks power Pre the one that comes with your coach ,
A water softener at the hose spigot is great to have and don't forget to stock your basement cooler with a few cold ones 😊
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Andy, I would suggest getting a Progressive Industries surge protector installed ASAP. Here is what I'm talking about..

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progr...p/emshw50c.htm

Next, call Rick at RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV and get a good oil filled stainless adjustable Watts water pressure regulator and filter. While you're at it, have him order you up some high quality hoses. You will need a 6', 15', and 25' in you box of goodies to supplement what is onboard.

Get a good digital multimeter. Fluke is a good meter. Get one that can display DC amperage with a clamp.

TST makes a good TPMS, but I'd still plan on getting a high quality truck pressure gauge and manually checking it each driving day.

If you come to Houston, I'll share all of my mistakes with you. It will take a week to scratch the surface.

My biggest tip, don't hurry. Ever. Seriously.

Get fuel filters for the gen and main.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Congratulations on the new coach and kudos to you for looking at a drivers course. As already mentioned a Progressive Industries surge protector is about the best you can get. Mine is hard wired without the remote readout. I want the readout right there where I can see it when I plug in.
A TPMS is the most important safety device you can add to a MH. They all work about the same so just get one that has a display that makes the most sense to you.
Start off carrying basic tools, hammer, rubber mallet, wrenches, screwdrivers, drill set, set of driver bits as MHs use a lot of square and torx screws, Allen wrenches, etc. Remember that no matter how many tools you take you will need something you don't have.
As your coach is new you probably won't need these until after your first year maintenance where you can pick these up: extra coolant for engine and generator, gallon of oil, full set of spare filters, extra serpentine belt, and boiler fluid if you have hydronic heating.
Grill (Weber Baby Q?), folding chairs, wine or beer or both.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #5

I really appreciate the responses. I have several questions in return:

Other than risk of theft, is there any functional difference between the plug in version of the surge protector and the hard wired version? I enjoy working with electrical devices - is the location of the incoming power cable such that it is fairly straightforward to wire in the hardwired version?

I agree that a pressure regulator on the incoming water supply line makes good sense to protect the downstream plumbing components. Living in central Indiana where the water is alkaline and very hard (and leaves mineral deposits or even etches glass) I see the need for some form of water conditioning as well. Have any of you added water softeners or R/O units to your rigs? Do you condition all house water or just drinking water? Can a whole house R/O unit keep up with showers?

What range of pressures should a pressure gauge read for RV tires? You can really see how new to this I am! Are the sending units that screw onto the valve stems safe or adequate? In our autos, they are internal which is is my only frame of reference.

What do you carry along if anything to supplement your jacks when leveling the coach? The fancy RV parks I've seen have perfectly flat concrete pads, but is it always that easy? What helps when the site is not perfectly level?

I sure appreciate the advice.
ACPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Get the hard wired. With remote monitoring.
Basic hand tools as ur under warranty should suffice.
Watch buying a bunch of stuff unthink you need. Do a couple of shakedowns and you will figure out what u really need.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

Decent tire pressure gauge at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like this TPMS - get more sensors for the toad if you have one
TPMS SYSTEM (4 SENSOR)

Permanently mounted Progressive surge suppressor with digital read out next to cord reel works well. Can't loose it if bolted in and getting digital display of shore power voltage and frequency is very benificial

Selection of spare fuses
252sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Entegra doesn't already come with a pre wired surge protector or TPMS?

Glad we passed.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post

Glad we passed.
If AC provides these items, that is great, AC makes a very nice coach.

IMHO, we can park 5 different brands side by side and discover design and equipment differences in each one. The criteria that makes any RV ideal for any given owner is unique and largely subjective.

That you're happy with your choice is fantastic. Why don't we take the high road and try to help the OP discover the answers he seeks, and share the wealth of knowledge and experience you have.

Thank you,

-Matt
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPC View Post
I really appreciate the responses. I have several questions in return:

Other than risk of theft, is there any functional difference between the plug in version of the surge protector and the hard wired version? I enjoy working with electrical devices - is the location of the incoming power cable such that it is fairly straightforward to wire in the hardwired version?

A hard wired unit is impossible to have stolen or simply forget. Also, setup and breakdown procedures are simplified. The hard wired unit also provided a bit more protection than the portable units when we were shopping.

I agree that a pressure regulator on the incoming water supply line makes good sense to protect the downstream plumbing components. Living in central Indiana where the water is alkaline and very hard (and leaves mineral deposits or even etches glass) I see the need for some form of water conditioning as well. Have any of you added water softeners or R/O units to your rigs? Do you condition all house water or just drinking water? Can a whole house R/O unit keep up with showers?

Many owners have R/O systems. There are quite a few different configurations, from a single drinking water system to a full house system. I'd suggest talking to Rick at the RVWaterFikterStore as he sells such systems in various sizes. Before you call, I'd ask that you contemplate just how much R/O water you need.

What range of pressures should a pressure gauge read for RV tires? You can really see how new to this I am! Are the sending units that screw onto the valve stems safe or adequate? In our autos, they are internal which is is my only frame of reference.

Any NAPA will carry a large "truck" style air pressure gauge. If I recall correctly, mine begins at 40PSI, and ends at 150PSI. This gauge is considerably larger than an automotive "pencil" style gauge. As with any pressure gauge, avoid dropping. As the valve stems are metal, a screw on TPMS sensor is just fine. Avoid installation on an unsupported rubber valve stem and you will be fine. Our coach uses metal stems at all 8 tire locations.

What do you carry along if anything to supplement your jacks when leveling the coach? The fancy RV parks I've seen have perfectly flat concrete pads, but is it always that easy? What helps when the site is not perfectly level?

Ordinarily, we don't use anything. However, we have camped in some very uneven sites in our last coach. We carry a significant number of plywood planks and other leveling blocks. Interestingly, we typically use the blocks under the wheels, not the jacks. If I have a significantly low side, I will place enough leveling blocks under the wheels to regain as much of a level posture as possible. Then, when I deploy the jacks I will use a few pads to reduce the distance the jacks extend. One important note on leveling, "lofting" wheels with the jacks isn't the ideal solution. "Lofting" a drive wheel can result in the coach moving in spite of the Parking Brake having been set. As with a car, the Parking Brake only applies the brake on the drive axle. As the MH has a typical "open" differential, it requires contact of all drive tires to remain stationary. "Lofting" just one side of the drive axle may result in vehicle movement.

I sure appreciate the advice.
Sorry for the green, just thought it might help organize the reply.

-Matt
Old 09-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

Almost all of those are great suggestions. Here are some others.

Along with a good Digital Volt Meter (others recommended a Fluke). Good recommendation. However, also buy yourself a cheap "analog" meter (the old style with a needle that moves back and forth). There are some things that the old analog meter does that a DVM just does not do well, like look a fast DC changes in voltage etc. You can get a good cheap old analog multimeter at Harbor Freight for a less than 10 bucks.

Also, buy one of those 12 volt DC voltage testers which is nothing but a 12-volt light at the end of a long screwdriver type handle at the end of a long very pointed rod. It also has a clamp on wire (the ground). The sharp point will pierce through insulation on wires to read voltages without disconnecting circuits.

Get a complete set of filters (all of them.... Brobox will send you a list) for your coach and belts (AC and Serpentine) and also spare gallon or two of the AquaHot boiler fluid (Century on mine) and Cummins coolant, Onan Generator coolant). Most of us carry spare filters for everything, belts, and fluids in the basement.

Once you get the coach ready to go on the road, fully loaded, you want to get your coach "Four-Corner Weighed". That means you want to get the weight exerted by each tire position on both sides. That is not just sitting on a truck scale or even weighing the weight on each axle.... that is getting the weights on each tire position (front left steer, front right steer, left side dual drive tires, right side dual drive tires, left tag, right tag. That shows you weight, tire inflation for each tire, which shows your weight against the tire specs, and it shows you minimal and maximal inflation levels for each tire position.

A case of beer in the basement cooler.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #12

Within your first two years get back to the Entegra factory, meet Joyce and the rest of her great crew; really if you can within a year is even better. Next get scheduled for the Spartan owner training school ASAP! Go to it as soon as you can and use a recorder; as you won't be able to keep up with all the great information being put out. In fact use one during PJ's class at ENTEGRA......lots of good and necessary information. Hopefully PJ will have a class room so he can do his hands on at ENTEGRA as he does at Spartan. And take your time there is so much to learn and....as long as you Roll with ENTEGRA you'll keep learning new stuff daily.
Have fun and enjoy your coach.

Sent from my iPhone 70NAM
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post

Glad we passed.
We're glad you passed too if you're unable to offer helpful information.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #14

Additional notes: As an ex Hoosier I would recommend a portable water softner. I use an "On The Go" brand but there are a couple of others that work the same.
Tire pressure is dictated by weight. Until you can get the coach weighed run the max recommended PSI. Handling may not be the best but it will be safe. You can weigh your coach at most major truck stops like Pilot, Loves, or TA. Cost about $10. Weigh each axle and adjust pressure to manufactures recommendations.
Jack pads are required at some resorts. The cheap orange ones from CW will do for concrete and hard surface. More substantial pads, like wood blocks, might be needed for soft surfaces.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra