Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Over Charging?

All

I am not an electrician and have a battery charging question. I have a 2012 Aspire DEQ. It is in storage, hooked up to a 110V outlet keeping my batteries charged. When I went to the coach yesterday, I checked the water in the batteries and all together they were about a gallon low (4 house batteries) after one month. When I went inside the coach I noticed my float charging at 14.6. Normally it is around 13.6. Is it over charging? If so, how do I control the charging levels?

As usual, thank you very much for the help! This forum has been very valuable to my success at owning such a great piece of quality equipment!!

Sincerely appreciate any help or response. We are getting ready to leave San Antonio, Tx and head to Cooperstown for the HOF induction.

Sincerely
Jeff & Terri Burklo
2012 Aspire DEQ
2011 Jeep Liberty
Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Sounds like you are over-charging. I'd check the batteries and make sure they're not bulging, changing shape or cracked. I've got 8 AGM batteries for the house totaling 800 AMPS. My control panel and documentation let's me set the type of battery and the charge rate for the total amps I have. In my case I have the charger running at 80% capacity for a correct charge for 800 AMPS. Your system documentation should help you determine the correct rate and give you instructions on how to make the adjustment. Most systems come from the factory set at 100% which will over charge the batteries.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #3

Grants.

Thank you for the quick response. I looked at the batteries yesterday and a couple do have a slight budge. Nothing really abnormal but a slight buldge. I'm not plugged into a charger just to a 110V outlet. Can I control the charge via the controls inside the coach?

Jeff
Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburklo View Post
Grants.

Thank you for the quick response. I looked at the batteries yesterday and a couple do have a slight budge. Nothing really abnormal but a slight buldge. I'm not plugged into a charger just to a 110V outlet. Can I control the charge via the controls inside the coach?

Jeff
Yes...I'm sure your coach has a built in charging system so even at 110V your internal charger should be working. If you have the Magnum Inverter/charger you can make the adjustments at the control panel.

Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Thanks again Gdawgs (apologies on the auto correct to Grants above). I pulled out my Magnum Energy book and have now thoroughly read thru it. I believe I need to shore max settings, as well as search watts setting since it is connected to 110 and nothing is running (ref ridge turned off as well). I also need to confirm my battery type (I think flooded) and my amphrs to ensure my charge rate is correct.

Thanks again
Jeff
Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #6

look for 757 driver. He can dial you in. on the forum.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Jeff,
If the charging setup does not work, and you have a couple of bulging batteries that are 4 years old, you might be looking at battery replacement. With the heat in FL, I averaged 3 years on a set of wet cells and why I wanted AGM's this time around. Heat cooks wet cell batteries.

Also might try equalizing the batteries if you have not done so. Follow the manual on that one.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #8

Jeff
You can call Magnum tech support. there telephone is 425-353-8833. When I put my ms2812 in Glenn walked me through the process and answered all my questions. You should call them. I personally went with four group 31agm batteries. They charge alot faster than wet cells. You also need a battery temperature sensor so the Magnum can charge at a safe rate
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #9

Jeff forgot to mention you can set the Magnum to the respective incoming amps. Meaning if you plugged into a 20 or 30 and or a 50 amp power. This allows the Magnum to charge based on the correct input
Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Jeff,

Shore power settings and search watts will not affect your battery charging. If your Magnum ME-RC remote panel says it was float charging at 14.6v then you have some incorrect settings.

If you send me a PM with your email and your exact battery make and model or a picture of the top of a battery I can walk you through checking the settings.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #11

You are correct it won't affect the charging, however if he leaves it on say 50 amp shore. Then plugs into a lesser shore power. That feed line from the shore may not be capable of carrying those amps. also the settings for battery type is also important as each type of batteries charge at a different rate.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Jeff,

Shore power settings and search watts will not affect your battery charging. If your Magnum ME-RC remote panel says it was float charging at 14.6v then you have some incorrect settings.

If you send me a PM with your email and your exact battery make and model or a picture of the top of a battery I can walk you through checking the settings.

Hate to ask, and probably a silly question, but, I also have my coach in storage, plugged to 110, when not in use. Do I have to worry about overcharging with a 2016 CS?
Anything particular I should be doing with the inverters?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
You are correct it won't affect the charging, however if he leaves it on say 50 amp shore. Then plugs into a lesser shore power. That feed line from the shore may not be capable of carrying those amps. also the settings for battery type is also important as each type of batteries charge at a different rate.
That is true, but that inverters charger is only capable of drawing a maximum of 12.5 AC amps so something else being powered in the coach such as a fridge would be required to exceed a 15 amp breaker. Battery type is important to get the right setting for the batteries being used but quite often the pre-programmed settings are not 100% correct either. Either way no pre-programmed setting in the Magnum inverter has a float setting of 14.6v.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
That is true, but that inverters charger is only capable of drawing a maximum of 12.5 AC amps so something else being powered in the coach such as a fridge would be required to exceed a 15 amp breaker. Battery type is important to get the right setting for the batteries being used but quite often the pre-programmed settings are not 100% correct either. Either way no pre-programmed setting in the Magnum inverter has a float setting of 14.6v.
What don said is very true as several of my settings were off. Don was kind enough to send me a chart that works excellent now.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging