RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

OverDryve 7 RV

Does anybody know anything about this RV GPS? I have a 2018 aspire and do not trust the GPS whatsoever it has put me in bad places.... I would like a GPS that I could pre-programmed the route for instance take the loop around major cities so youíre not going straight downtown Dallas on interstate 30 ... or goat trails in West Virginia..

buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
i can tell you about it tuesday, that is the unit rand mcnally sent me to replace my broken 7735 it gets to me tuesday. however i am not expecting much since the 7735 was nothing but crap

Old 11-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #3

Buck

There is NO GPS unit that you can rely on 100%. You always need to to do pre-planning if you are going somewhere you are not familiar with. Thats why Japanese tourists follow their GPS down railroad or commuter train railroad tracks, or down boat launches into the bay.

I do pre-planning automatically. I fairly often ignore what the GPS is suggesting to me, because I have looked at the route in detail before I start . The only time I do not verify what the GPS is planning is when I have driven whatever route it is enough that I know what I am going to do or what choices I am going to override, but then it is automatic to double check what it is recommending.

I usually lay out the route on a laptop first. If there is something that is not typical involved, then I add the satellite view and look at it closely on the satellite view. You can even come down to street level on most roads if you use Google Maps.... just keep zooming in until the screen shifts to street level and then look at what is confusing you as you will actually see it as you drive.

About the any place that you can leave 90% of the decisions to the GPS is on interstates, although on interstates, that is not always true (note the 90% number).

No one should leave their judgement and ability to problem solve to a machine when you are driving something that weighs 50,000 pounds and is 65' long...(and you can't back-up) .. the head is always an essential participant!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Have you updated your GPS? We update at least every three months if we are on the road and always just before leaving on a trip. I believe we could also upload a route from a different trip planning software but I prefer to let each software do its thing and then compare the routes. They usually agree so we follow the route. If they donít, then we take a good look at Google and decide which way we are traveling.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Have you updated your GPS? We update at least every three months if we are on the road and always just before leaving on a trip. I believe we could also upload a route from a different trip planning software but I prefer to let each software do its thing and then compare the routes. They usually agree so we follow the route. If they donít, then we take a good look at Google and decide which way we are traveling.
rand only updates annually so doing it every few months is not needed
Old 11-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

I work with the father of the guy who made the nationís news when he drove his car down the boat ramp in Whittier, Alaska after following directions from his GPS. He is lucky to be alive today! There is a lot more to the story that helps one understand how one could make such a stupid mistake but....

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/arti...or/2012/08/23/

Whenever the wife and I follow our GPS against our better judgement the joke between us is ďDonít go down the boat ramp!Ē

Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

One more suggestion... you can look at wikipedia.com and there are verbal descriptions of highways, often noting important issues like major climbs/downslopes, road and routing issues. For example, I am now looking at an extended visit into Colorado and Montana and Idaho. I have spent a lot of time back in the late 60s and early 70s in Colorado in a 4 wheel drive truck and there was little that I would not do, and few places that I thought were too rough for my truck. Now that it is 50 years later and I am trying to go back to some of the places that we visited a long time ago, I am finding that the GPS tells me what is possible, the Google sats tell me what the big picture is, but it is often wikipedia verbal description that tells me what the bus is likely to be able to tackle and what the Honda needs to try or leave alone.

Google turns up a lot of good videos, slide shows, and just blogs and entries from people that have "been there and done that" before I think of giving that route a try. Lots of planning.

and back to the OP, my GPS has given me really "bad directions" only 2 times, and then I realized that the GPS was right and I was the one that made the mistake. There was a time in Southern Arizona mountains that I thought the GPS said to make a right turn and I did and ended up on a small road with a very small bridge that I could not cross. Then I realized by retracing the process that the GPS said make a right turn but like 900 feet further down the road and I turned too soon. My mistake, not the GPS.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post

Best advise given. I have had the same GPS's since 14 without a problem.

Regarding RM only updating once a year....I always have several updates to download when ever I upgrade which is more often than once a year. Whatever it is, it works. Like Linda check the route with real time WAZE, now owned by Google maps. If I like WAZE route better, I mute the RM GPS. Plus was gives me real time traffic condition for the big city which may take me the direct route if the bypass just had an accident or under constriction. Atlanta, more than once comes to mind.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
There is NO GPS unit that you can rely on 100%.

No one should leave their judgement and ability to problem solve to a machine when you are driving something that weighs 50,000 pounds and is 65' long...(and you can't back-up) .. the head is always an essential participant!!

Gary
And make sure you check the campground web site for special directions - I've found that 5 to 10% have something about how to get there or road construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
About the any place that you can leave 90% of the decisions to the GPS is on interstates, although on interstates, that is not always true (note the 90% number).
Gary
I know all the bypasses I'm going to take, so even if the GPS wants to take me thru downtown. I take what I want and let it re-cal the route.

it's all part of the adventure.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

Good stuff, thanks guys
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I donít like the panel RM GPS in my Aspire. It is difficult to use, difficult to update, and does not always give the best route. I use a Garmin RV 760 mounted to my side window where it is easier to see, easier to manipulate, more logical user interface, easier to update. That having been said, I donít trust it 100 percent. I strongly agree with preplanning, especially sine Iím a solo driver and canít check details while driving. In addition to Google maps satellite view for details, I like the Good Sam atlas that shows approved truck routes.
I use the RM panel GPS for cross check and area view while driving.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I own and use the OverDryve 7 RV.

I like it a lot. And a bonus for having this is that I plan all our trips using the Rand McNally TripMaker. The OverDryve connects to my WiFi and is automatically updated with the trips saved on TripMaker. As a backup, I also put the SD card from the GPS in the coach, into the Lap top and export the trip there also.

I've had it for two years now, and so far, (fingers crossed) it hasn't done me wrong. But that probably has more to do with the TripMaker planning than the GPS itself.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote