RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Exclamation Passenger seatbelt locks, tightens

Seatbelt locks up when I pull it away from my neck, and then it just tightens and locks again, like it's stuck in crash mode. It will not loosen again unless I unlatch myself and let it go all the way back "home." Two different techs have told me this is normal, the second tech adding vaguely that it was probably something to do with child-seat safety. The driver belt doesn't do this, and neither do passenger seatbelts in most cars I've ridden in. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, is there a fix? Or maybe I'm not explaining it right? This can't be normal, can it?

AbuelaLoca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
My drivers seat does it all the time. It's a real pain!! I find sometimes the belt get twisted and that's when it's the worst. JMO, but I think the belts on my model are uncomfortable anyhow.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

X2 what Chuck said, especially on the twist. I sometimes wonder if my is mounted upside down😃, always seems like it is twisted.

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 12-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

The only way any of these belts will loosen when they are snapped is if you pull down on the upper belt near your neck very slowly, very slowly, and then it should release. Of course, it is designed to lock if you have any pulling force when trying to get it to extend and that is what it is designed to do to keep your torso locked into position in a crash. Now, if it will not release even with one or two slow pulls, then you probably have a problem in the release/locking mechanism.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Check out Loopo, it is a seat belt tensioner or rather a seat bel un-tensioner.
https://www.amazon.com/Seat-Belt-Ext...keywords=loopo
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuelaLoca2 View Post
Two different techs have told me this is normal, the second tech adding vaguely that it was probably something to do with child-seat safety.

Passenger seat belt locking was one of our PDI items. We, also, we're told it is by design for child-seat safety without further explanation. DW gets very frustrated with it.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Check out Loopo, it is a seat belt tensioner or rather a seat bel un-tensioner.
https://www.amazon.com/Seat-Belt-Ext...keywords=loopo
Both front seat belts tighten up so we use the above.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We were told twice that it was normal after DW complained. After I rode in the seat for 10 miles I couldn't believe how she could have ridden for thousands of miles. They fixed it on the third and no problems since. It is not normal.
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C310 View Post
We were told twice that it was normal after DW complained. After I rode in the seat for 10 miles I couldn't believe how she could have ridden for thousands of miles. They fixed it on the third and no problems since. It is not normal.

Do you know what they did to fix it?

Vance & Robin
Old 12-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Lance, I'm not sure what they did but Middlebury CS removed the seat back and Flexsteel fixed it.

Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Lance, I'm not sure what they did but Middlebury CS removed the seat back and Flexsteel fixed it.

If I don't get it fixed somehow I will end up riding and DW will drive! Wait a minute...........

Vance & Robin
Old 08-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
So, we are back at Entegra and after a week and a day they say Flexsteel insists the locking and tightening issue is a child seat feature. This is freaking crazy. Not every passenger seatbelt is like this, or I might be willing to believe it. I feel like being that little old lady who throws the tire through the big picture window in a TV commercial...really I do! What in the heck? Do I need to write a letter to the transportation and safety commission about it, or the BBB? Anyone else have an idea? Gads...
Old 08-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

We just tried again at Entegra, first try was in Nov. Mike Lucas is our service writer, and he says Flexsteel tells him it is a child seat thing. I sort of walked off with the words, "I don't believe it and I'm not happy." I have no idea how to make them fix it. If all other passenger seat belts are like this, I would be willing to believe it, but they are not. Sigh...
Old 08-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #14

Out of curiosity I was trying to understand the negative view of the seat belts because we seem to get along with them fine.....one thing on the coach that works OK that has not failed so far.....

Maybe the seat belts changed after our early 2013 classic?

The belts in our Entegra have one recoil device in the seat back. It pulls out freely and will slide in and out when wearing. There are two locking modes: an inertia reel device locks the belt when sudden deceleration is sensed or the belt itself is unreeled very quickly. This mode you can activate anytime you use the belt and it is partially deployed. Just jerk the belt out rapidly and it will lock. Or stop abruptly while unreeling slowly and it should lock. Both of these modes are pretty self explanatory in an accident situation.

The other mode is called the "window-shade option." To activate this fully extend the seat belt by continuing to pull it off the reel until all the belt is removed and the reel stops. Now, when you release the belt it will click repeatedly as it retracts. If it is clicking when retracting the belt will lock and not come back out. It will sort of ratchet out and lock. This allows you to keep tightening the seat belt as it will lock each time some slack is taken up.

The ratcheting or "window-shade" option is required to allow a child safety seat to be pulled firmly into the seat with no movement forward allowed. In performance cars it also allows the occupants to tighten the belt tightly by first pulling the belt fully out, latching it then releasing it to retract. It will then lock and the occupant can rachet it as tightly as desired. If you are going for a bell lap at the Nurburgring or pusing it on a track day you will appreciate this feature.

I suspect the complaints are coming from the racheting feature. What surprises me is that anyone would pull the belt out far enough for normal use to activate this feature. Pulling ours out leaves several feet of slack before the reel stops. Much more than I would normally expect to pull out just to latch the belt. If you are having problems with the belt do you pull it out really far before latching. Sometimes with a single reel system like on the Entegra seats I will pull out a lot of extra belt to latch it easily especially if I have a coat on. If the user is size large plus they may pull out a lot of belt out of necessity but even then it seems to be plenty of slack in the belt to allow this without emptying the reel and activating the ratchet feature.

Understanding this, please provide more details of the problems encountered. I am no passive restraint expert, but, after staying at a Holiday Inn I did work on crash and restraint systems in the auto industry a tiny bit hence my curiosity as to why the complaints.

Possibly there is not enough excess slack in the belt to allow it to be latched without over extending it. This could be corrected by removing the reel assembly and having a longer belt installed. Or, by the use of a seat belt extender on the latch side to minimize how much needs to be pulled out to latch comfortably.

If the belt seems twisted it may be. With a single anchor point the anchor end can be unfastened and twisted until the unit works and lays correctly. or, the belt may have gotten twisted on the reel. Pull the belt until the reel runs out of belt and see if a twist is present. I have seen cases where excess slack has been pulled out and the belt then twists as it recoils. This can aggravate the ratchet function as the twist takes up more room on the reel leaving less slack to work with improving the odds of activating the ratchet feature when normally latching. If it is twisted on the reel you will likely have a hard time pulling the belt off the reel when the twist comes along. Just work it back and forth pushing slack onto the reel and the twist can be eliminated.

Some times to save costs the amount of extra webbing on the reel is reduced thus aggravating the ratchet mode inadvertently.