RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Pick Up New Anthem 44A next week

Hello fellow Entegra owners. Trading in the 40ft Charleston Forest River for a new 2018 44a Anthem. Any common issues i should look for when I pick her up?

Any major differences in driving a 44ft with tandem vs a 40ft?

Thanks!

gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

Congrats on your new coach. I would just go over everything and dont sign on the line until everything has been addressed. I would plan on a few days at the dealership to test EVERY system. A dealer is much more willing to fix stuff before you take ownership. It is a big purchase, so stay firm.

As of driving the rig, just swing out a little further in tight turns and enjoy the wonderful ride😀

Best of luck.
-Tor
2017 Anthem 44B

737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #3

I made a similar transition from a 40 foot Berkshire to the 45 foot Aspire. It does handle differently and you WILL notice the greater length wheelbase so go a little farther out before you start your turns.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your new wheels.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

I found no significant difference from my 40' Dynasty and my 45' Anthem or Cornerstone. Both drover VERY well.

The big difference I think that you will really feel and appreciate is that you are not going to get pushed around by every truck, every bus, even every car on the road..... that 'big iron' sits there and takes it without paying much attention to it. (I just looked up a Charleston on RVT and you may have a tag also...) No white knuckle driving with your new Anthem.

Congratulations. Come back with your knowledge and observations !!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #5

Instead of looking for the trends, I'd just treat it like someone intentionally tried to hide 7 RV Problems from you somewhere in your new coach and it's your job to find them. I assure you they are there. You just have to find 'em and get 'em fixed _before_ you do the paperwork. I haven't seen a ton of trends on the 2018's or above yet. 2015 -> 2017 had radiator issues. I think you're probably just looking for 'random' RV bugs.

I agree with what was said above. Don't let your excitement or the process push you into signing. Touch _every_ button. Use every system. Check the jacks. Drive the new coach. Do everything. Spend hours doing it. Nothing ruins a great/exciting experience like finding the problems _after_ they have your money. =)

Are you guys buying from a reputable dealer? That's at least 50% of the experience. Make sure they have a good reputation. You picked a good brand. Entegra has a long history of being a solid brand and our experience has validated all our research.

Congratulations! I hope you love it!
chasingsixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You will really enjoy the drive difference between the two coaches

Tag allll the way!!

Welcome to the family

Enjoy
Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We traded a 40' for a 45' and with the tag axle "never looked back"!
Yes take the time to learn your turns, pay attention to the mirrors on those turns.
Make yourself a check list to go through the RV before signing anything.
I had issues after trade, even promised things have not been fulfilled.
Here are a few things if I had a list:
  1. Check heating system in detail... don't care if it is 100 degrees out... make sure it works!
  2. Vacuum System Works
  3. Check and make sure they have your charging system correct for your batteries... Not only to confirm - make them teach you this set up!
  4. Check your Jake Brake for function when you test drive.
  5. Listen carefully for squeaks or noises during the test drive.
  6. Make sure you fully understand how the AV systems works and confirm all things work.... DVD, Satellite, Audio, Like others said, ALL Switches Work!
  7. All Remote Controls working
  8. Get detail training on how to care for your steps and that they work without any hesitation
  9. Check all Fluids, look for any drippings outside of the AC systems.
  10. Fit and Finish--- Inspect for scratches, cracks, bubbles, paint or decal imperfections.
  11. Must have touch-up paint for your colors (it is over $80 to have it formulated) making sure the dealer did not use it on your coach.
  12. Run the washer and dryer
  13. Fireplace working (if you have one)
  14. Awnings work and fully inspected
  15. Generator full of fluids, no leaks, fully functional
  16. Tune radio to weak station, make sure the antenna is working.
  17. A stretch but: I have heard of people having roof or window leaks... It would be ideal if the dealer can hose down the coach while you are inside doing a leak inspection..., then let them detail it afterwards.

Congratulations!!!
Toad: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
W0GEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #8

There are several reports of problems with the blind spot monitoring system. Make sure that is working.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #9

Pick Up New Anthem 44A next week

Going from a Forest river product to a entegra is like going from Hyundai to a Mercedes...
You chose well...
Enjoy..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Congratulations! First off, a 44a is really 45'. So you have gained 5', and yes you will notice it. I also had a Charleston, a 430RB. For me even though only 2' difference, the tail swing seemed more noticeable on the Entagra. I would guess it is in the wheel base difference. While the Charleston was very attractive, both in and out, it doesn't compare to the quality of an Entegra. You have made a good move!
Tim Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #11

Hey - another 44A owner! I thought I was the only one to avoid buying a B. We have the theater seating and desk options. We like our reversed floor plan. Well, we would like it if we could actually take it on a trip some day. Monday it finally goes into a shop that might fix it (Colton Truck Garage).
Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have an A floor plan with the desk/couch option. During your test drive, suggest having it weighed at a CAT scale (empty), so you know what you are working with weight wise. For some reason As seems to be heavy on the front axle. Once you are loaded to travel, have it four corner weighed so you can adjust your tire pressures. Its a great floor plan, weve been full timers for over three years.
Grower15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #13

I had mine corner-weighed, and it is unsafe as it stands. The left-right imbalance on the front axle is 2000 pounds, which is double what Spartan says is the maximum allowable imbalance. I have an appointment at a shop tomorrow where, among other issues, they are going to check the ride height. I'm really hoping that it is off, so that we can fix it and I'll find somewhere to weigh it again. As it currently sits, I cannot use the refrigerator/freezer in the front bay at all. When I had it weighed, I had about 2/3 of a tank of fuel. 1/3 of a tank is 50 gallons at 7 pounds a gallon, which is 350 pounds. The axle at the time of weighing was 200 pounds under the limit. So, technically I cannot even fill my fuel tank. I'm hoping like heck it's the ride balance, because otherwise I'm going to have to start screaming and ranting to get this fixed. I've had the coach for close to a year and cannot use it.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #14

Dave

I was there when you got the coach weighed. I misunderstood that the problem was 2,000# over on the front axle, not 2,000# difference side to side. That IS also a problem to be sure, but the former would’ve been harder to explain. I am hoping that there is something wrong with the weights you got or a ride height issue, or you have too much air in the drive and tag plus some imbalance somewhere else. Don’t think they can design a coach with that much imbalance so it should be something that “fixing” can resolve. Good luck! Hope you get it fixed long before Quartzsite.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem