Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Welcome to the crazy club. We joined last month. Just lovin it.

navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #16

Congratulations! welcome to the club. As others have said, drive slow for a while, turn W I D E corners( you won't believe how much it will cut across,) repeat-- turn W I D E, do not bother asking why I stress this, just do it.
Main thing, have fun and enjoy.

Gene

Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #17

I did the same thing as you. Buy the Entegra then Learn how to drive it on the way home. First off, do NOT plan on staying in a hotel on the way home. Hotel parking lots are made for cars, not a bus! If you have a smart phone, get the all stays app that will let you know the location of every walmart in the country. It costs five bucks, and is worth ten times that. Walmarts are easy to drive in, and most are close to the highway. Worst case, pull into a rest area and sleep on the couch. I drive my coach 700+ miles a day. You will find that 800miles behind the wheel of the coach is easier than 200 miles in a car. For buying fuel, I highly recommend truck stops. Yes, you can save some money at other locations, but you may not be able to get out of the parking lot. Until you become an expert in driving, go to a truck stop so all you have to do is pull straight in. A benefit to the truck stops is that you can get $300+ dollars of fuel on one swipe of the credit card. Car pumps shut off at 75-100 dollars and flow at half the rate as truck pumps. At some gas stations, you will need to take up 2rows of fuel pumps to get in. If you stay at a walmart, get fuel there. Next bit of advice is to travel at night. I hate driving through towns during the middle of the day. Driving from 6pm to midnight is not nearly as stressful as driving from 9am to 3pm. You will also get a lot further and burn less fuel. If you pull into a walmart at midnight, the gas station will be empty, so thats an added bonus.

Good luck! And again, throw the idea of staying in a hotel out the window...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #18

Such great advice! Thank you all so much. I will take your advice and not stay in a hotel...I didn't think about the parking. I also didn't know about the Master/Slave gas pumps...there's so much to learn. I'm going to be sticking close to all of you for the next several months (years), so I can learn from your experience! Thank you all again.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
You will find that 800miles behind the wheel of the coach is easier than 200 miles in a car.
Hey Bee, you need a better car!!
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
I drive my coach 700+ miles a day. You will find that 800miles behind the wheel of the coach is easier than 200 miles in a car.

Next bit of advice is to travel at night. I hate driving through towns during the middle of the day. Driving from 6pm to midnight is not nearly as stressful as driving from 9am to 3pm.
Bee950 - how old are you dude? you obviously are a lot younger than I am as I couldn't imagine driving the distances and times that you do.

For me personally, we never drive at night for a number of reasons. Night driving requires you to be well rested and alert. Mile after mile of asphalt stretching out to the limits of your headlights can put you to sleep if you are the least bit tired. You also have to be prepared for that deer that jumps out in front of you when you least expect it. Prepared to take a full hit because you can't swerve like you might in a car. Driving from 6 to midnight also puts you up against the occasional drunk driver that might get a kick out of speeding around you and then hitting their brakes to see how fast you can react.

As far as distance, I simply cant imagine driving 700+ miles a day. It's fine that you do but again I don't. I think the average rver drives only 200 to 360 miles a day getting into their campsite well before dark as setting up in the dark is no fun. For us, 360 is a hard day when trying to cover distances.

So to CindyW, I offer this advice. Think this trip through. Drive the distances and at times you are comfortable with. Don't push the envelope until you have some experience under your belt and then only if you feel it is wise. Plan out your route, fuel stops and rest/sleep stops. Use something like google earth to eye ball the parking lots and fuel stops from above so you know you can get in and out easily. Have an absolute blast!!

As always, the above is just my honest opinion.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #21

We always plan out our trips. We will plan where we want to stop and when, if we want a campground or a Wal Mart/Rest Area, and even try to gauge where we will stop for fuel. We tend to be the opposite extreme for driving as we have done over a thousand miles in one day several times. I don't really like to drive at night, but I will leave early in the AM to avoid things like the Chicago Loop at rush hour and Boston at almost any time.

Watch your speed and enjoy the trip. I just try to remember most of my safe driving and defensive driving skills from years ago in Driver's Ed class. The same rules apply times two.

Enjoy your new toy and the lifestyle. It's fun and rewarding.

And Tom before you pick on me, I think you and I are about the same age....I've just been driving longer!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
I surrender ..... someday I do want to talk about how you do that. Maybe over a cool drink!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #23

I once made it from northern Kentucky to Orlando in our old gasser in one day. 16 hours - never again. I was worn out the next day due to all the night driving I had to do. I'm no stranger to long distance driving having done Chicago to Charleston SC in a day in my car, but driving a coach requires much more attention to detail - at least for me. I can still do 400-600 miles per day in our coach if I'm trying to get somewhere quickly. I usually throw a 30 minute nap in to make things easier. At the slightest sign of fatigue I pull over, walk around, take a catnap, or whatever it takes to refresh..,
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #24

Just curious, where in MI did you find it?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #25

Here is my life in a motorhome for the month of Sep. My motorhome is a tool to make my life more comfortable, not a lifestyle.

Leave Austin TX on Tuesday night the 4th and drive around 250 miles stopping around midnight at a walmart in North Texas.
Drive 850 miles the next day ending up in Northern Iowa ( very close to Minnesota)
Work Thursday, Fri, Sat, and leave Sunday at noon for the 750 mile trip to Little Rock Arkansas and arrive as soon as possible.
Stay in Little Rock for the week, and drive to Austin 6 days later arriving on Sunday the 19th
Two days later, I drive to Concord, NC. Making that 1200 mile trip in around 19 to 20 hours.
I will work through Saturday till around 3pm, pack up and drive till midnight or whenever I feel like passing out.
I will arrive home the next day after what will most likely be a 1000 mile straight day
Monday morning, I am pretty much useless, but thats life of a business owner.

I think I will do around 4000+ miles those two and a half weeks... I am 49 years old, but this still sucks at times. Pripr to the Entegra, I did this in my Dodge Ram 2500 pickup. Oh yea... I forgot to mention that all of these miles I will be pulling a 20 foot trailer.

The Motorhome is a lot more intimidating to look at than it is to drive. Put it on cruise, sit back and watch the world go by. You dont need to use the master and slave pumps. One will fill it fast enough.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
I bow to all of you long mileage drivers This old lady handles 400+ on a long day (I think we did 450 yesterday) but that's about my limit. Of course we are traveling with critters and that makes our stops a little longer - but it does get us out of the coach to walk around a bit.

Please be very careful if you choose to stay in rest areas or Walmarts. And consider not using either if you are traveling with animals. Our experience has been that both locations can be very noisy and not very restful. And not necessarily safe. If you choose a rest area, you might want to make sure that the state you are in provides night time security. Our dogs tend to inform us every time that a new rig pulls in....just in case the air brakes didn't. And again, apologies if I sound like a snob, Walmart parking lots at midnight or 3:00 AM can have some interesting populations. Lots of interest for our dogs - and certainly not someplace where I want to take someone out for a middle of the night potty call. We stay in campgrounds most of the time because it fits our needs best. They are usually close to the highway so still have some noise level but they give us areas to walk the dogs, stretch our legs, and cook a real meal if we want. You'll find your comfort level soon enough. And knowing that the road accommodates all of us just makes it more fun.

One suggestion - we picked our Entegra up out of state and flew in for the pick up. We shipped enough supplies to get us home - linens, towels, a few dishes, glasses, etc. They were waiting for us with the coach when we arrived. If that was the reason you were planning on staying in a hotel, it can be worked around. And if you are worried about the whole used mattress thing....(I was on the used coaches we purchased)....a waterproof, allergy protection mattress cover makes a great barrier aid to good night's sleep!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #27

I swear, you folks are mind readers! After deciding to follow your lead, we scratched off hotels after we pick-up the mh, and also decided to ship some of the stuff we'll need for the drive back home. We also added an additional stop so we don't drive more than 350 miles per day...see, I do listen to experience!

I do need a little more help. While this may not be the correct thread, is there a set-up/take-down check list available anywhere? I remember seeing one somewhere, but that was many months ago when I first began research. I know we need to make certain all loose items are stored inside the coach, and I don't expect we'll be using the sewer hose on this trip - we'll use other facilities until we get the hang of everything. My concern is making certain we know what steps to take, and in what order.

I remember reading we extend the slides before leveling on set-up, and lift the levels before retracting the slides when breaking down. Just wondering what other tips or directions you have.

Thank you all for your kindness...we very much appreciate your help.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #28

Probably the hardest thing for me to learn, in the beginning, was a about stopping distances. Second only to safety, my main concern is to give my passengers and my stuff, the most comfortable ride possible.
While in town or even in heavy slow traffic on the 4 lanes, be very alert for the guys that like to steal the space in front of you as u are in traffic. Some of those soccer moms can get a bit darty, and sneak in on you with no appreciation for how heavy u are.
Just stay calm, move slowly, enjoy the ride.
After all, these things can be just as much fun to drive as they are to overnight in.
Safe travels and good luck,
Jeff

La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote