Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #1
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Portable Ladder for Roof Access?

I guess this is an Entegra newbie question, but my searches haven't yielded a clear answer so...

I take delivery on a "ladderless" Anthem next week and I'm wondering what portable ladder options folks are using on the road.

I like the look without a ladder, but I know I won't be happy with zero roof access so I'll have to do something. I've seen here that fixed ladders are available and the coach has proper mounting support for one, but since I need to carry a portable ladder anyway I'd rather go that way. I have one of the 7' folding A-frame ladders that collapses into a small square cross-section and just fits across a basement bay lengthwise. It's great for cleaning up high on the coach sides and accessing windows and awnings and such, but I'm sure it's too short to be safely used for roof access on an Entegra. Are there other portable types that you use that don't take up the whole basement? Saw a mention somewhere of "Little Giant" ladders - anyone use one? Which size and model?

Thanks for any suggestions.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:08 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Here you go, this answered all of my questions when I was shopping for a ladder. I went the 15.5 ft telescoping for the convenience of carrying. However everyone has a favorite.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tele...on-181257.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's the same ladder that I've carried for the last 12 years. It collapses down real nice so it can be store anywhere. I stood mine up vertically behind the freezer and used a rubber tie down strap to hold it against the back wall. The collapsible action mans there is a slight bit of flex but it's strong enough to hold one man and an air conditioner easy enough.

I had a rear ladder on the Tiffin but used this on the side when I needed to do certain things. But the Tiffin had standard wall-mounted awnings and not the built-in ones that Entegra has. Not quite sure how it will work on the rear of the Cornerstone with the built-in awnings and rear spoiler. Hopefully they are sturdy enough to lean a ladder on or else I'll have to make a stand-off bracket or whatever. I guess I'll find that out when it gets here. Come to think of it, mine's a 12.5' ladder. That may be a bit short for the Cornerstone.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

Was in the same predicament for my brand new Anthem, and needed a ladder within a week when all my slide toppers got snow and ice on them while I was trying to get my Air Force One coach side equipment installed on the new coach and could not retract the slides due to the ice. A fellow at the RV park had a 17' Mighty Mite ladder which I used for this task. He mentioned that several other groups sold them. The Mighty Mite retailed for about $250 he said, but he said that the same ladder was handled by Harbor Freight for about $150. So when I got home from my first big trip, I examined the HF ladder and I found it to be identical to the Mighty Mite and priced at ~ $130 (on sale currently), so I bought it.

The ladder will stow in the basement vertically near one of the bay separations. It folds and extends and can be set to virtually any height from about 4' to 17'. It is rated at either 250 or 300#. The fellow who I borrowed the ladder from had added some cushions to the aluminum ladder rails to go up against the coach. He made his from a "noodle" (those long thin tube toys of hard and resilient foam rubber that some kids play with) by slitting down the side of the noodle with a carpet knife and then taping it on the rails with duct tape. His worked great against my coach. I have bought the noodle, but have not installed it on the ladder yet.

I am completely happy with this Harbor Freight version. It is 17' when fully extended which will give me access to the roof from the back and from the sides. I find it plenty sturdy fully extended and am comfortable with its construction and materials.

My one question for people that have any type of ladder is, "do you brace it against the Girard awnings down the side, or only brace it against the back of the coach when you ascend (regardless of style of ladder) when you use it?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have been using the Little Giant Mega Max 17 that I bought at Costco for some time. I bought for about $150 although it is now $200 but still worth it. When folded, it fits nicely into about 1/4 of one of my storage slides. It sets up and breaks down in about a minute and is very solid and secure. Since I am a bit "hefty" at 225 lbs., I don't want a flimsy ladder. It is also tall enough so that can get on the roof without crawling over the top of a ladder. I wrap rags around the side rails near the top with cable ties to protect the finish of the coach when leaning it against the side. I usually go up on the passenger side, between the slides.

Because it can be used as an A frame ladder as well, I use it for washing, waxing, and to thoroughly clean the front windshield. It comes with a tray that snaps into the top to hold cleaning supplies and to act as a handhold to steady yourself when you are near the top working. I have rested power buffers on it with no trouble.

I was in the aerial lift business for my career and part of the reason I bought this ladder was that, I didn't want the headline in the local paper to say, "Retired Aerial Lift Salesman killed in tragic Ladder Accident."

I have really happy with it so far.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmm, no ladder. Where would I put my ham radio antennas? Carry my blue boy? Life without a ladder on the coach would be tough... (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a Crafstman Step/Extension (Convertable) My dad purchased back when he was alive and I inhearated upon his death..This is the perfect length for roof access.

This ladder hangs on a couple of custom "J" Hooks a body shop owner made for me out of pick up step bumper metal (At the top) and a shower "Grab Bar" at about eye level (I am just over six feet tall) Bicycle lock and bungee cords hold it.

I also use a telescoping ladder.. but at 10.5 feet it is not long enough for roof access,, Need at least 14-15 feet It stows inside the RV.. I really like it.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I think no ladder on Anthems is a Bad idea. Check caulk and cleaning solar panels???
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Navychop, I agree with you. That is why I had a fixed rear ladder installed, like the Aspire has.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Wow - great info very quickly - thanks folks. I'll check out all of these options.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Navychop, I agree with you. That is why I had a fixed rear ladder installed, like the Aspire has.
I like having the ladder on my Aspire BUT a word of caution. I don't consider myself a heavy guy at 205 but two of the plastic parts that hold the steps to the rails on the ladder have cracked. Since I heard the first one break I now am very, very cautious when using the ladder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	91042
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #12

I have the Little Giant and it's OK. I still prefer to use my conventional aluminum ladder when at home. I am planning to have a ladder installed during my trip to Entegra this Nov. I agree on the need for easy access to the roof if you are a DIY'er, otherwise, the clean cap is nice.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have been trying to decide. Been looking at Little Giant, now I see there is a Little Giant Extreme, has a few upgrades, a little pricy though.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I am also using a 17' Little Giant. In addition I bought a swim "noodle" to cushion the rails of the ladder when leaning against the motorhome. I cut the noodle into 3' sections. I then sliced them long ways so that they fit over the ladder rails without falling off. I prop a rail on each garrard and go up the side.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof