Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Power steering fluid

Does anyone know the number/type of power steering fluid for a 2016 CS? I was at Speedco and they told me the power steering fluid was completely dry, but no leaks?!? They couldn't refill it because they didn't have the "hydraulic" type power steering fluid it requires. I'm trying to buy it and replace myself.
Thanks,
Fred

3xbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xbear View Post
Does anyone know the number/type of power steering fluid for a 2016 CS? I was at Speedco and they told me the power steering fluid was completely dry, but no leaks?!? They couldn't refill it because they didn't have the "hydraulic" type power steering fluid it requires. I'm trying to buy it and replace myself.
Thanks,
Fred
I think aw 32 or 34 but better double check someone will come along soon

Old 07-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #3

"Completely dry" indicates a leak somewhere. It's not always obvious, but it simply must be going somewhere!
Best wishes

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Fred The hydraulic fluid AW 46 There is a list in the "sticky" at the top of the page for a CS. Good idea to print it out and keep it in the MH. Never know when a fluid, belt or filter number will be needed.

However there is a more serious problem, the hydraulic tank holds a gallon, where did it go?
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #5

Yes you need to find what certainly appears to be a leak but adding may be the quickest way to find that leak so as an FYI: Most auto parts stores will carry AW 46 hyd. oil but often only in 5 gal buckets. I found 1 gal. container at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and 2 gal. at Tractor Supply. Probably other places but those are the 2 I know.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I will have Sacramento Truck check when o take it for the ball joint recall. Any particular brand that works better?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I will have Sacramento Truck check when o take it for the ball joint recall. Any particular brand that works better?
They all work the same. No way of knowing what label was produced where. JMO
Old 07-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #8

Motorhomes in particular are notorious for leaking power steering pumps. My Ford Fleetwood which is my third Fleetwood Motorhome runs great, everything works good, but guess what??? You guest it, at only 38,000 miles the power steering pump leaks in this too. All three of of my Fleetwood RV's had leaky power steering pumps. It's the one thing I could always count in.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
AW46 hydraulic oil is sold in 1 gal jugs at Oreilley Auto Parts if you have one of those. A lot of tractor and implement dealers sell it also. NAPA had it in 5 gal buckets, but it was expensive and unwieldy. If the system is totally dry it holds about 3 gallons.

I am dubious of the service guy claiming your power steering fluid was "almost dry". You'd have to have a leak. If that system leaks the symptoms would be poor steering control accompanied with high coolant temperatures and eventual Check Engine light. ( The hydraulic system runs the side radiator cooling fan). Believe me I know. It happened on our maiden cruise in our brand new 2014 three years ago.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Dave. My steering is working fine, other that it feeling a little tougher/heavier than usual. I've been fortunate to not have any other issues, high temps or check engine light. I do have an Oreilley and will buy a few gallons and replace, but will have Sacramento Truck check as well. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks,
Fred
By them saying it was "dry" does not mean much. The dipstick on the hydraulic reservoir is only a few inches long so if your fluid was never at the proper height to touch the dipstick then it would appear dry. My guess is that if you buy a 1 gal jug of AW46 and slowly pour it in you will quickly come up to the proper level. As others have mentioned if there was a major leak and that tank was empty you would have many other signs of that.

FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

The cooling fan on the CS is not run on that hydraulic system. Its belt driven. So you would not have an overheating problem because of low fluid level in that tank. Its just for power steering. When you are taking the dipstick out, it doesn't have any threads on the cap so just turn it a little bit and pull it up. Otherwise you will unscrew the dipstick from the cap and as others have learned, it drops off and into your tank and you will have to retrieve it with a magnet. As others have posted, fluid is the AW46. There is a label conveniently located on the tank where you CAN'T see it...
Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Yes you need to find what certainly appears to be a leak but adding may be the quickest way to find that leak so as an FYI: Most auto parts stores will carry AW 46 hyd. oil but often only in 5 gal buckets. I found 1 gal. container at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and 2 gal. at Tractor Supply. Probably other places but those are the 2 I know.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.
Even Costco carries AW46 some of the time. I think WalMart might have it t some locations too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
AW46 hydraulic oil is sold in 1 gal jugs at Oreilley Auto Parts if you have one of those. A lot of tractor and implement dealers sell it also. NAPA had it in 5 gal buckets, but it was expensive and unwieldy. If the system is totally dry it holds about 3 gallons.

I am dubious of the service guy claiming your power steering fluid was "almost dry". You'd have to have a leak. If that system leaks the symptoms would be poor steering control accompanied with high coolant temperatures and eventual Check Engine light. ( The hydraulic system runs the side radiator cooling fan). Believe me I know. It happened on our maiden cruise in our brand new 2014 three years ago.

I have done auto work on so many different types of vehicles it's not even funny. Low power steering fluid would not cause your engine coolant to get hot. The power steering system and your chassis engine are two totally separate systems. The serpentine or main drive belt is the only physical connection your power steering system has to the engine via the power steering pump. If your having high coolant temps, you've got some other issue going on that's not at all related to power steering.

Tags
fluid, power, steering