Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #1

Preparing for HIGH winds

Probably already plenty of threads on here somewhere about this but
just figured I'd throw it out once again.

We are having Tornado warnings for today, with high winds.

Other than running for the 'hills' what and when do you start your
preparation for the winds and storms, and what do you do in preparation?

We all may handle this differently, some more precautious than others, but maybe there is some middle grounds to take heed to.

Have heard some may get off jacks and pull slides.

What do you do?

Thanks !!
Jactravlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

We put the jacks down, bring in the window awnings and make sure all outdoor furniture is secured. Also look up and make sure there are no dangerous branches about to fall.

Be safe out there, and be careful.
Good luck
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #3

Start your preparations ASAP ! All awnings in, all slideouts in, jacks up and air up as I've always believed it's better to let the suspension handle the wind. Pick up and put anything away that can be blown around so to avoid damage.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I pull slides in above 30 MPH winds. The cotton fabric slide topper will not take the wind like Sunbrella topper will. Found out where the nearest storm shelter is if the siren blows. There is more surface with the wheels in the ground. If the wind is going to be that high, nothing will stop it from blowing over.

Call you insurance company to make sure your premium is paid and good luck. I went through one of those warnings is NE. I lost a set of slide toppers, so I learned my lesson.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I would fill the water tank as well, to add mass to the rig.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

Thanks for all good advice !! Heard there has been some deaths associated with this same storm front. All stay safe in the southeast with this storm rolling in.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I would try to put the rear to the wind so as to present less surface to the wind.

Also I would have the jacks down. If you let the suspension handle it, it could start the coach rocking which can increase until it goes over. I wouldn't want that to start.

I have had an awning try to open going down the highway into a heavy wind. If you can find some way to secure them, I would.

If you could park behind some substantial building to shield from the wind, I would.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

will, let's see, jacks up or jacks down ? Just guess it all depends on what
the individual thinks about this. Anyway, I again appreciate the GREAT advice, so far so good on the winds. We will see.....Thanks !!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I think I would try to put the rear to the wind so as to present less surface to the wind.

Also I would have the jacks down. If you let the suspension handle it, it could start the coach rocking which can increase until it goes over. I wouldn't want that to start.

I have had an awning try to open going down the highway into a heavy wind. If you can find some way to secure them, I would.

If you could park behind some substantial building to shield from the wind, I would.

I agree with letting the rear of the MH taking on the wind. You have to protect the windshield from flying debris and you don't want the wind hitting the side of the rig because of role over concerns. I've stopped at rest areas before and positioned so the rear was in the wind
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Walmarts have big walls for protection. Around here the leeward sides fill up early for an approaching hurricane outside of the hurricanes path.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting suggestions. I think I would point the front to the wind if possible, you know it is designed for going into the wind at highway speeds. In other storms people have gone thru unplugged from electric to prevent surges, jacks up to help stop grounding for lightening.

If it just wind then I would have slides in, jacks down, nose pointed into the wind. Our old MH got caught in straight line winds once with the slides out and it wasn't pretty.

Most important part find the nearest building to ride the storm out if possible, mother nature is nothing to play with. The coach can be replaced if something really bad happens, lives can't be.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Hate to say this folks, but OP says tornado warnings...from a former meteorologist:

1) if you get a tornado warning, take shelter; don't take time to move the coach around; also outrunning a tornado DOES NOT work.
2) tornadic winds are circular, so coach direction in a direct hit isn't going to make a difference (and it probably wouldn't anyway)
3) many tornadoes are embedded in a circularly moving mesocyclone which can be 1-3 miles wide (and more likely to hit you than a direct hit).That said, these mesocyclone still have winds gusting 60-80 knots, and you still don't have time to adjust the coach to circular wind flow as it passes (and you need to be in shelter).
4) jacks down or up isn't going to make a difference with a direct hit. I've had jacks both up and down in 60 kt gusts, I felt more stable with the jacks down, but keep in mind, the wheels are still on the ground, so there is a 10 point interface with the ground.
5) slides in over 50 unless you have some trees giving you a wind break; but, I would not park under tall trees with big limbs. Biggest risk is slide toppers.
6) as someone mentioned hurricanes (but also applies to tornados), hiding behind masonry or cinder block walls(especially if they are over 10 ft tall) opens yourself to collapsed walls. Post hurricane and tornado path pictures show these walls may be more susceptible to collapse (also not good to be inside the coach if this happens. BTW, taking shelter in these large cinder block buildings is not such a good idea as they are prone to roof collapse. A food freezer in a Quick Trip or grocery store might be better.

For some, this seems elementary, but a lot of mis-information is out there.My observations come from a lifetime of being a severe weather forecaster, and having chased tornadoes for several years in a previous life. Last, if it is your time, then it is your time. There are many other ways to be prepared for that eventuality in advance
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Good points, Dave. But please tell me that your statement in #5 "but, I would park under tall trees with big limbs" was supposed to have the word "not" in it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
typo, corrected while you were typing a response
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote