Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
This is also the way I use it - becomes very natural once you get use to it "my first DP"- switch is very easy to find without looking when driving
This is very true concerning Entegra, but in the Bus, Tiffin puts it among 4 other rocker switches and it does not have a distinct feel. After almost 4 years of driving the Bus, I still briefly look down to ensure I'm hitting the right switch. I think they may have finally caught on and changed it by feel on the much newer coaches, but I'm not positive.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
Great Thread! Thanks I learned a lot here, so far I only drove about 30 miles with my new Embark, I know not an Entegra but made side by side with the Reatta, Anyway, the info in this thread is very helpful. I do have 1 question to add here, when going down an decline or the down side of a longer bridge, do you downshift or just add the Turbo Brake to the on position? Thanks! Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Embark at home.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	234365  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #17

My jake does not really downshift and begin to slow the coach with the valves being locked, until I am down to about 60,,,, it was about 50 on my 450 ISL Anthem. Once you get down to the speed that the jake will downshift and begin to exert braking influence on your speed, then you decide what speed you want to be going, and turn the jake on and off, or shift from low to high Jake to maintain the speed range that you want to be going. Lets say coming off the Rockie mountains 7 miles at 7 percent downgrade, once I am down to maybe 50 or 55 on this Cornerstone (and that is the speed I was probably at when I crested the top), then I am comfortable going down the downgrade lets say somewhere between 40-50 or maybe even 445-55. I kick in the Jake on low to see what it will hold by way of speed. It it is slowing, then I let it sit in on-low until I get to lets say 40 or 45 and then I turn it off until I get up to 50 or 55 at which point I turn it on and repeat the process. if I dont slow in on-low, then I shift the Jake to on-high and that will probably do the trick. If it doesnt, then I apply the service brakes to bring me to the range that I want to be traveling.

His 605 ISM has a third higher setting and the braking effect in that Jake range is so drastic and drammatic that I rarely have had to even think about using it, but I have some times just to get to know what it is capable of doing.

That's my process. I could descend even big declines with my ISL-450 with virtually never touching my service brakes (usually only needed on a greater than 7% grade, or with a hairpin or sharp turn in the descent). The jake is a truly wonderful invention.!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has made what was the biggest terror in driving a semi or a 25 ton motorhome through the mountains into a cake walk 99% of the time.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
nice color combo -
Attached Images

mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
When set this way does it still limit your speed while going down a hill with cruise control on?
Yes it does limit your speed going down hill with cruise on.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #20

Everyone has their opinion as to driving these things. Like I said I’ve had all my Entegras set up to coast with jake on and foot off the throttle. Last thing I want to do, if I really need it, is to be fumbling for the jake switch. I know what Spartan says about glazing the brakes, but I don’t totally buy into that and I use my service brakes plenty. To each their own, but I’ve been doing it this way, even back when I owned a 2011 Tiffin, and never had a problem so that’s the way I’ll continue to roll.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did not like jiggling around or looking to see which switch was Jake Brake and tag dump, so I replaced the plain switches with red toggle switches and rearranged the switches in the console where these three switches are easily located. Gone is the problem of looking for the correct switch. Left hand on first line and I can feel and tell which switch is which. Did this mod in 2017.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	234414
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Like you I like to coast when throttle is released. It takes Spartan or Cummins about 10 minutes to change that function in the computer. Our Cornerstone is set up like you want, tap the brake to engage jake brake otherwise it coast. Had it that way on all Entegras we’ve owned.
Spartan can build them either way. Entegra specifies the setting where the brake is on even without touching the pedal. I find it interesting that you were able to get yours changed - the Spartan factory refused point-blank to change mine from the as-delivered setting. I'm used to it now and wouldn't bother changing it.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Spartan can build them either way. Entegra specifies the setting where the brake is on even without touching the pedal. I find it interesting that you were able to get yours changed - the Spartan factory refused point-blank to change mine from the as-delivered setting. I'm used to it now and wouldn't bother changing it.
Spartan changed mine on the Entegras.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #24

They must have thought you were cuter than me.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee View Post
they must have thought you were cuter than me.
😳😳😳