RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Propane cooktop?

The DW has about had it with this induction cooktop.

Furrion makes a 3 burner propane cooktop that will drop right in the factory countertop hole. I'd just need some gas.

I all ready carry a 15 pound cylinder in a secure holder in the compartment right there under the kitchen for the gas grille. A 20 would fit. I'd probably want a second, wife likes to cook, hates to run out of "Stuff."

Then I'd just need to route a hose up to the kitchen slide and connect the cooktop. Bam, we'd be cookin with gas.

Tell me I'm not crazy?
(or tell me I am)?

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

It's what one gets used to that matters. I always liked cooking with LP, DW likes electric. IMO induction is the most even heat for cooking available.
That is incidental to your question though; no IMO you aren't crazy. If DW isn't happy DH isn't happy.
The LP portable cylinders may pose a storage problem as they cannot(to best of my knowledge) be stored in a locked compartment, nor may they be "in use" while in an enclosed compartment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd love to know what is driving her crazy because I am still trying to learn how to use our induction stove. I love to cook, make most of the meals, but having problems with it as well. I hope some folks chime in and provide advice.

I called the mft of our unit and explained that I can't turn the induction stove over 2 (ours is a setting of 1 - 8) without it burning food. The customer service persons only answer was to say if you aren't using our cookware, that will happen. I have a hard time believing that, but, if it's true, would throw out our cookware and buy theirs immediately.

Fill in some blanks so we can either solve this or at least complain together.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #4

I forgot to say we use a countertop induction Nuwave unit(fancy hot-plate) which is set by temperature, not a 1 - 10 type setting. Makes following cooking recipes easy for an old retired ground-pounder like me. Best part though is very little added heat to the MH when cooking.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:06 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I called the mft of our unit and explained that I can't turn the induction stove over 2 (ours is a setting of 1 - 8) without it burning food. The customer service persons only answer was to say if you aren't using our cookware, that will happen. I have a hard time believing that, but, if it's true, would throw out our cookware and buy theirs immediately.

Fill in some blanks so we can either solve this or at least complain together.
Best test for cookware is a magnet. The stronger a magnet sticks to the cookware the better it will preform. A cast iron skillet will give the strongest magnet reaction. Buying cookware with the same magnet pull will work the best. We purchased this from ratings on this forum and it does work well. https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product...gateway&sr=8-4

We also have a induction cooktop in the S&B and found pans that have the heat transfer shield on the bottom heat more evenly and not just a hot spot in the center.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #6

I really did not want to get into yet another back and forth about the merits of induction cooking. There have been lots, at least one of which I started. While I understand there are some who like the induction cooktop, I'm really not interested in arguing with them again.

We use Circulon induction cookware as well as cast iron.
Anyone with a magnet is welcome to stick it on my Lodge skillet.

This thing heats a 5" circle, and it gets it very hot. But only in that 5" circle.
Even after 15 minutes on 5, I can pickup the pan by the edge with my bare hands.
Things burn in the middle, while the edges don't cook at all.

See pic below of a lodge skillet full of bacon.

Back to the question. I've never been scared of propane. Our previous motorhome carried a bunch of it, and it had a propane cooktop, in a slide, fed by a flexible line, and it was all safe and worked good.

That propane tank was in a vented compartment that was sealed from the rest of the basement and didn't have a lock on it. But we and many others use gas grilles and carry propane in our sealed basements.

Is it even close to remotely safe to carry a pair of 20 lb cylinders in the basement of our Aspire?
Is it any less safe to plumb them to a cooktop than it is to have them for use with a grille?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180208_085835010.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	238705  

Old 03-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #7

What we cant see in the pic is the size of the induction element below the square pan. I know even on my propane stove i have to move a large pan around to try to get even heat. Or move the bacon around to get it to cook wven. Have u given that a try? Just trying to help.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #8

Jim

I dont have an answer, and we went through a real problem with my wife being able to cook and being happy about it , with induction. We fought through it. I probably have already commented that it is important to know that you have a good unit.

Now, the answer to your question is that I would avoid trying to convert to liquid propane at all costs. The number one reason for fires in motorcoaches and campers in the old days was problems with their propane systems. I was always afraid of it. Now, my Dynasty had propane in it and the system was huge and massive.... took most of one of my storage bays. I resented the fire hazzard and resented the loss of space.

Now, lots of homehomers carry a canister or two of propane. Many of them carry them outboard on their towed vehicles. They use them for an outboard propane heater in cold climates. They must get away with it. And I back packed with a small propane stove for years and never had a problem with them.

Now, the picture that you show shows that something is terribly wrong with your situation. To me, you either have a defective single coil unit, or the pans that you are using are just not good enough. I know that this is the opposite of what you want to do, but my advice is to go out and buy an $80 dollar single burner induction unit at Sams or WalMart that you can set up in the kitchen and try using that instead of your built-in unit. Its a minimum investment at problem solving. And start a discussion with some other coach owners where-ever you are and find someone who is reasonably happy with their unit (my wife now) and then ask if you could use one of her/his pans to try some favorite cooking and/or, would they try cooking something standard with your pans, and compare what you find. This would be the cheapest problem solving strategy. I'm betting you either have a defective unit, or you just bought a good brand name pot but they are not good utensils. A good brand name doesn't mean they are good for your use. But a bad unit explains a lot too.

It drove us nuts for about 2 years. Our result was a defective main unit AND we went through several sets of pans before we found some that actually worked. Your picture "screams" to me that you have a problem. If I had to bet $1000 dollars, I'd bet your pan is just not spreading the heat.... Good luck!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #9

Go to a marine supplier and pick out a propane locker.

They contain the leaks and have vent line that you can drop out the bottom of the compartment its in.

Not cheap but safe.
http://www.suremarineservice.com/Gal...-1720-KIT.html
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
A couple of thoughts:

WRT to the settings - We also found that even on 1 or 2 the pan was too hot and the food was boiling instead of simmering. We used the temp settings and set it for 150 (Lowest possible) or 180 and the food began to simmer properly.

Also it is pretty obvious but running the propane line would need some careful thought since the cooktop is on a slide. Probably doable (Not by me - LOL) but something to be careful of.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Jim

Now, the picture that you show shows that something is terribly wrong with your situation. ..... I'm betting you either have a defective unit, or you just bought a good brand name pot but they are not good utensils. A good brand name doesn't mean they are good for your use. But a bad unit explains a lot too.
Gary
Gary, as always I appreciate your thoughtful words.

As for the cookware, our mainstay is a 10" Lodge cast iron frypan. It's perfectly flat on the bottom except for the cast in Lodge logo. Are these not the best for induction? Magnets certainly stick to them...

The Circulon's are "induction compatible" Stainless Steel, and may or may not be good. They are the only set we've tried.

We have replaced the cooktop (under warantee, because the cooling fans wouldn't ever shut off) and the replacement cooks the same as the original.

What brand cookware did you find that works well?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Go to a marine supplier and pick out a propane locker.

They contain the leaks and have vent line that you can drop out the bottom of the compartment its in.

Not cheap but safe.
1602-1720-KIT LPG DUAL 17# COMPOSITE LOCKER
Now there's a valid idea I'd never heard of. I've thought about building an airtight vented enclosure in the basement, had no idea they were commerciallly made for the marine industry. I'll look into this further.
Thanks!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, you asked about the location of the propane bottles. Ray,IN is correct, Code requires propane bottles being used to be in an open area. The Aspires that were on propane had the tanks in a no bottom bay on the drivers side. Travel trailers have the propane bottles mounted in the open on the tongue.

I think Gary has the right idea about a defective unit if it is that bad with the correct cookware. Very few have any problems that is not related to cookware or defective units. Like others, if I want something really hot, like blacken fish, it's cooked out side on a single plate induction.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #14

5th wheel trailers have portable propane cylinders in compartments.

Never looked at the bottoms of the compartments , but you don't see big openings under them.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane