Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 05:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
In my area Tractor Supply has the best price, $2.69 a gallon, U Haul the highest at $3.99 a gallon. LP is priced regionally, it is much less up north than FL.
I never paid much attention to price until I started reading this forum.

I used to pay $1/lb [$4.29/gal] at a local nursery that's conveniently close.

The local U-Haul is advertising $0.89/lb [$3.81/gal].

Found a BBQ grill store even closer that charges $0.80/lb [$3.43/gal].

Looking just now at the local Tractor Supply stores in my area (upstate NY), they're advertising $0.70/lb [$2.99/gal].

I doubt I'll find it much cheaper, but it pays to look around. I can't believe the wide range of pricing for the same stuff, either.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
There is NO expiration date on propane TANKS!

Potable CYLINDERS have a re-certification requirement 12 yrs after date of manufacture....not expiration but re-certification
Whatever people want to call it. U Haul will not fill it, and cannot re-certify. Their terminology, "this tank is expired and we cannot fill it. " Trying to find a place in FL to get a tank re-certified is not easy.....we don't use a lot of LP here except for BBQ's
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
I never paid much attention to price until I started reading this forum.

I used to pay $1/lb [$4.29/gal] at a local nursery that's conveniently close.

The local U-Haul is advertising $0.89/lb [$3.81/gal].

Found a BBQ grill store even closer that charges $0.80/lb [$3.43/gal].

Looking just now at the local Tractor Supply stores in my area (upstate NY), they're advertising $0.70/lb [$2.99/gal].

I doubt I'll find it much cheaper, but it pays to look around. I can't believe the wide range of pricing for the same stuff, either.

Hey! Keep checking pricing! At this rate, another 20 or so phone calls, and you'll find a place that pays YOU when they fill your tank.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
There is NO expiration date on propane TANKS!

Potable CYLINDERS have a re-certification requirement 12 yrs after date of manufacture....not expiration but re-certification
Quote:
Whatever people want to call it. U Haul will not fill it, and cannot re-certify. Their terminology, "this tank is expired and we cannot fill it. " Trying to find a place in FL to get a tank re-certified is not easy.....we don't use a lot of LP here except for BBQ's

Chuck, I have to agree with Old-Bisquit, are you speaking of a "cylinder" that you remove from your RV? If so, U Haul is correct in the policy you state, although a pic is not required by law, but if they are refusing to fill a TANK that permanently installed in your RV because of age, that is their right to refuse, but they are WRONG by calling it expired. They need to be re-educated. Probably not worth the trouble though. Go to TSC, which in our area (Kentucky) has consistently had the lowest price in my casual research.

We've only filled our propane tank twice in the 3+ years we've had it. Stove and oven, water heater when not on electric, residential fridge, and some furnace usage, but not a lot. Good luck with your rig!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:23 AM   #19

Paid $2.49/gallon at my local Costco this past weekend, the nearest CW is $3.49/gallon for members. I don't think the Costco had a hose long enough to reach a permanently mounted tank on an RV though.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Chuck, I have to agree with Old-Bisquit, are you speaking of a "cylinder" that you remove from your RV? If so, U Haul is correct in the policy you state, although a pic is not required by law, but if they are refusing to fill a TANK that permanently installed in your RV because of age, that is their right to refuse, but they are WRONG by calling it expired. They need to be re-educated. Probably not worth the trouble though. Go to TSC, which in our area (Kentucky) has consistently had the lowest price in my casual research.
Yep, I have an all electric coach, so it make no difference to me, but fill lots of bottles annually because of hurricane preparedness.

In this area it is getting harder and harder to get bottles filled....Snowbirds take warning, get your tanks filled at home, lot less hassle. Because of U Hauls new policy, I now go to the new Tractor Supply that just opened. I can get a bottle filled in 1/2 the time.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #21

Motorhomes have propane TANKS, bolted to the chassis. Built with thick steel and no expiration date. You need a lot of room to get the MH near enough to the fill station to hook up a hose. Not all places offer that avalability. They have a FILL port for propane in only.

Trailers, 5th wheels and BBQs have portable cylinders. You often carry them to the filling station. They must be disconnected to fill. They have expiration dates stamped into them that should be inspected.

If someone is asking about filling a propane tank on a MH, as the OP is in this case, offering information about filling portable cylinders is just clouding the issue.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

If someone is asking about filling a propane tank on a MH, as the OP is in this case, offering information about filling portable cylinders is just clouding the issue.
You are correct, I stand corrected.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #23

Quote:
\

TANK....propane vessel permanently mounted ----Motorhomes have TANKS
They are ASME and do NOT have re-certification requirements
Any place saying so needs to be educated about requirements and should provide any documents when questioned....which they will NOT have

Cylinders.....'potable' propane vessel----trailers/5th wheels etc
Removable by owner....DOT jurisdiction and they have re-certification requirements which are easy to find

(DOT does NOT have jurisdiction over ASME TANKS)

Educate yourself so you know when someone is NOT providing service correctly and educate them.

Your MH has a TANK
Your BBQ grill uses a potable cylinder
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

I have no idea how they do it in Florida, but here in Texas everyone exchanges their tanks. Every grocery store, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Sam's even General Dollar offer exchange tanks. Even a lot of convenience stores offer them. You give them your empty tank and they exchange it for a full one. It is a little more expensive than just filling the tank, but they do not check or care about the certification date on the tank you exchange. When I have a tank that needs to be re-certified, I take it to one of those places and exchange it for a full tank with a new date on it.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrin99 View Post
I have no idea how they do it in Florida, but here in Texas everyone exchanges their tanks. Every grocery store, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Sam's even General Dollar offer exchange tanks. Even a lot of convenience stores offer them. You give them your empty tank and they exchange it for a full one. It is a little more expensive than just filling the tank, but they do not check or care about the certification date on the tank you exchange. When I have a tank that needs to be re-certified, I take it to one of those places and exchange it for a full tank with a new date on it.
Funny. I have had my 40 gallon ASME tank filled at Tractor Supply Stores all over Texas. If you are exchanging empty cylinders for "full" cylinders you are being fleeced in 2 ways. Firstly, you are probably paying a higher rate per gallon (or pound) than if you had taken it just about anywhere to be refilled. Secondly, no cylinder will be refilled to more than 80% of capacity to allow room for expansion of the liquid (LPG) and room for gas vapor to be stored under pressure at the top to flow out the valve and line. To my knowledge all exchange cylinders are purposely underfilled yet advertised as a "full" cylinder. IMHO, there is no other explanation than to increase profit at the expense of unsophisticated consumers.
My youngest son was one of those until this week. I borrowed his grilling tank as I needed one to operate my furnaces through an Extend-A-Stay as I can't drive the coach to get my almost empty tank filled until my coach is repaired and driveable.
He exchanged a relatively new cylinder and received an old cylinder dated 02-06 that was prettied up with a new printed wrapping. When I went to my favorite place to be refilled the 20 something manager refused to refill it as it was 2 years past its recertification date. I really needed it filled that night as I was pretty sure I was going to run out soon and the temps that night were going to be in the 20s. Fortunately, an employee about my age convinced her to let him fill it. The furnace shut down about an hour after we got back home to the coach.
Anyone who refills a cylinder more than 12 years after the date of manufacture or 5 years after its recertification date is violating the law. Anyone who exchanges tanks should not turn one in if it can't be legally refilled. Get it recertified or recycle it. Don't accept a cylinder without checking the date of manufacture and/or recertification.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Funny. I have had my 40 gallon ASME tank filled at Tractor Supply Stores all over Texas. If you are exchanging empty cylinders for "full" cylinders you are being fleeced in 2 ways. Firstly, you are probably paying a higher rate per gallon (or pound) than if you had taken it just about anywhere to be refilled. Secondly, no cylinder will be refilled to more than 80% of capacity to allow room for expansion of the liquid (LPG) and room for gas vapor to be stored under pressure at the top to flow out the valve and line. To my knowledge all exchange cylinders are purposely underfilled yet advertised as a "full" cylinder. IMHO, there is no other explanation than to increase profit at the expense of unsophisticated consumers.
My youngest son was one of those until this week. I borrowed his grilling tank as I needed one to operate my furnaces through an Extend-A-Stay as I can't drive the coach to get my almost empty tank filled until my coach is repaired and driveable.
He exchanged a relatively new cylinder and received an old cylinder dated 02-06 that was prettied up with a new printed wrapping. When I went to my favorite place to be refilled the 20 something manager refused to refill it as it was 2 years past its recertification date. I really needed it filled that night as I was pretty sure I was going to run out soon and the temps that night were going to be in the 20s. Fortunately, an employee about my age convinced her to let him fill it. The furnace shut down about an hour after we got back home to the coach.
Anyone who refills a cylinder more than 12 years after the date of manufacture or 5 years after its recertification date is violating the law. Anyone who exchanges tanks should not turn one in if it can't be legally refilled. Get it recertified or recycle it. Don't accept a cylinder without checking the date of manufacture and/or recertification.
The smaller tanks are usually filled by weight and not by volume which is approximately 80%. Larger tanks are filled by volume and corrected for temperature. It is not uncommon to fill the larger tanks to 90% in the cold winter. I have filled tanks higher than that in the winter when running large burners in the oil field. Anyway, I was referring to the 20 pound bbq grill sized tanks for exchange. I have never noticed exchanges available for any other size. One of the reason it cost more to exchange than just filling the tank is because of the higher cost of tank maintenance such as painting, valves and certification. You are paying for that every time you exchange. I always check the date on the tank before I accept it. I have never gotten one more than a couple years since certification. I have never weighed one either to make sure I got what I was supposed to, but I can tell it is pretty close. A full tank should weigh approximately 37 pounds including the tank and 20 pounds of propane. I would suspect someone who gets a near empty tank is because somebody put a near empty tank in the wrong slot. It would be easy to do if you had no idea what a full tank should weight. That would also explain why he got a tank that was out of date.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Search out a Propane supplier/repair/service dealer..They should have at least one person qualified to do re-certifications...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #28

While in WV during our Summer trips I went to Tractor Supply for propane.

While on the road we usually go to a Flying J to get propane when needed.

At home in OR I usually go to a local RV dealer that sells propane.

With the TC's two 6 gallon tanks and the 13 gallon tank on the Flair I didn't pay a lot of attention to the price, but with the 45 gallon tank on the Dynasty that will probably change.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane