Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Questions and more questions!

Okay Entegra owners, we've got questions that maybe you can answer. We've asked a dealer but thus far, the answers are not forthcoming. (We think that perhaps since we aren't local, we aren't being taken very seriously )

When buying a used Entegra Anthem is there a year or years that had more troubles than others?

What year did Entegra start offering the Spartan chassis?

In general how hard is it to change out furniture in a used coach? (Specifically, we are toying with the idea of an L sofa but want one with a pull out bed. We know they make them, we just haven't seen them for any Entegra's.

Are extra/better batteries hard to add?

Now if we order new.

We know that a basement freezer is an option, is it less expensive to DIY it or have the dealer or someone else do it, versus having it factory installed?

What about solar panels. Again we know it's an option but can you get additional or better if you have someone else install them?

This is sort of a general question to anyone that has an Anthem or Aspire, how many inches of walking space do you have when your slides are in?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Angie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Some answers in blue:

When buying a used Entegra Anthem is there a year or years that had more troubles than others? Not really - there were some "Taddless" years - but by now all the gremlins are probably worked out of those. And Tadd is no longer with Entegra, but the quality seems to still be there. BTW .. Tadd is with National Indoor RV Center, so if you want a good deal, and straight answers, go with them to purchase either new or used.

What year did Entegra start offering the Spartan chassis? They have always been built on a Spartan chassis ... but there are afew Freightliners out there, but not many

In general how hard is it to change out furniture in a used coach?No, it is not hard. We just had our couch changed out to a reclining couch. (Specifically, we are toying with the idea of an L sofa but want one with a pull out bed. We know they make them, we just haven't seen them for any Entegra's.All Entegra L-shaped couches are a pull out bed. They don't use the L part as part of the bed.

Are extra/better batteries hard to add? If you get an Anthem, why would you need to add batteries? If it is for boondocking -
you are going to have to use the generator anyway for a/c and probably daily anyway ... so why add batteries?

Now if we order new.

We know that a basement freezer is an option, is it less expensive to DIY it or have the dealer or someone else do it, versus having it factory installed?I think most come with them and if not very easy to add

What about solar panels. Again we know it's an option but can you get additional or better if you have someone else install them?Entegra doesn't offer much as far as solar is concerned, but you can do after market. Some people here have done it,
but again, you are probably going to have to run your generator anyway.
IMO.

This is sort of a general question to anyone that has an Anthem or Aspire, how many inches of walking space do you have when your slides are in? I haven't measured it and it depends on the floorplan you select, but there is plenty of space in a 44B floorplan.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Angie[/QUOTE]
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

Lots of good accurate answers from Lynn and/or Dan. I would add:

As noted the L couch has a fold out bed with a good air mattress in it...check to be sure, but this has always been the case as far as I know.

As to the clearance when walking in the coach with the slides in, the L couch can be a problem. The L portion of the couch intrudes on the walking space more than what you might think, and the corner portion of the couch when the L is extended is not particularly useful for sitting. One would have to be 7 feet tall with long legs to match in order to lean back against the couch cushion in the corner. IMO, I like the straight couch with the bed for these reasons.

You probably need to go look at the coach with the slides in to decide if you think you can live with the walking space, it's pretty close with the L couch, but quite open with the straight couch.

I've owned both, L couch in a 44B and straight couch in a 45B.

If you've not owned an all electric coach before, get used to the idea of running the generator. It will take thousands of dollars of additional work and equipment to run the coach solely off of solar, IF you can find enough space on the roof. You already have the generator in place, it's pretty quiet, and you can buy years worth of fuel with the solar panel/battery money.

Edit: I added batteries to both of the above mentioned coaches. I found that unless I ran the generator right up until 1000PM and re-started it at 700AM, I was in the edge of running my batteries below 50% state of charge. In the 2014 Anthem, I changed the batteries to higher capacity Lifelines to acheive this, in the CS I added two L16 batteries for a total of six. Both mods were pretty easy.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
Lots of good accurate answers from Lynn and/or Dan. I would add:

As noted the L couch has a fold out bed with a good air mattress in it...check to be sure, but this has always been the case as far as I know.

It doesn't show that on the brochure and we haven't been able to confirm it yet that the newer models do have a bed.

As to the clearance when walking in the coach with the slides in, the L couch can be a problem. The L portion of the couch intrudes on the walking space more than what you might think, and the corner portion of the couch when the L is extended is not particularly useful for sitting. One would have to be 7 feet tall with long legs to match in order to lean back against the couch cushion in the corner. IMO, I like the straight couch with the bed for these reasons.

But would it work for 2 people and 2 Great Danes? Couldn't one of the Great Danes curl up in that corner of that sofa easily?

You probably need to go look at the coach with the slides in to decide if you think you can live with the walking space, it's pretty close with the L couch, but quite open with the straight couch.

We'd love to and hope to, there are no dealers local to us so we are waiting to head on a road trip to NIRVC

I've owned both, L couch in a 44B and straight couch in a 45B.

If you've not owned an all electric coach before, get used to the idea of running the generator. It will take thousands of dollars of additional work and equipment to run the coach solely off of solar, IF you can find enough space on the roof. You already have the generator in place, it's pretty quiet, and you can buy years worth of fuel with the solar panel/battery money.

We weren't looking to power it, add to the power if that makes sense.

Edit: I added batteries to both of the above mentioned coaches. I found that unless I ran the generator right up until 1000PM and re-started it at 700AM, I was in the edge of running my batteries below 50% state of charge. In the 2014 Anthem, I changed the batteries to higher capacity Lifelines to acheive this, in the CS I added two L16 batteries for a total of six. Both mods were pretty easy.
Thank you!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unless you plan on a lot of boondocking, solar is a waste of money. With engine on the batteries are charging and inverter providing AC. When plugged in or running generator you have the power you need.

My girlfriend has 3 Boxers and an L sofa. Clearance when slides in is a challenge. In my 42DEQ that has an unadvertised straight sofa there is plenty of clearance with slides in.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #6

Hi Angie, while having a measurement with slide in is helpful you really need to compare several coaches to see what hiccups occur in spite of what might otherwise seem to be plenty of room. As you know, there just isn’t any substitute for seeing and touching the coaches in person.

I will mention one thing. Currently, Televator TVs are the rage. This is the TV on a lift behind a couch. If we were willing to sacrifice this, we could slide the couch back 10”. That would almost double the aisle space. We have 2 big couches and my 75# puppy enjoys either, but prefers the couch behind the driver’s seat as it has a small ledge he can rest his head on.

Sometimes, he crashes in my son’s lower bunk. Too funny.

Regarding batteries and solar. In the later version coaches with batteries amidship, it would typically be easier to add batteries as headspace is more generous. Forward battery bays have height restrictions due to coach structure.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend a penny on OEM solar as they aren’t serious systems. You can talk to any number of outside vendors and get a serious array with properly sized cables, controllers, and panels for far less money per KWh.

Regarding the advice to simply run the generator, that is our approach. For the price of 2 additional L16 AGMs, and/or a serious solar array, we can buy fuel for many years of generator run time.

There is no reason not to run your generator, and several very practical reasons TO run your generator. In short, generators are like any mechanical device in that they do not thrive while hibernating. Most generators operate best if operated routinely. This isn’t just anecdotal advice, the Cummins Onan manual talks about running the generator every month to ensure the windings remain clean and dry.

Boondocking is the practice of camping without benefit of any utility hookups such as Power, Water, and Sewer. Typically, and all electric coach is at a disadvantage in these circumstances due to the requirement to operate the generator for A/C and to use the induction cooktop.

One way around this might be to buy a new Insignia which still has LP, or an Aspire prior to 2017. I don’t know if either use a gas cooktop.

Perhaps you can tell us how you visualize using the coach and we can craft our advice to suit you.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
BTW ... the "new" 2018 models mostly have the theater seating, probably ... that does not have the fold out bed.... but I'm sure the couch is much more comfortable. So, you can always use a blow up bed on the floor for guests. We do now that we changed our couch for a Lambright Comfort Chair reclining couch.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem, aspire, new buyer help!