Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
R front tire shows considerable right shoulder wear

I noticed that my Right front tire has a lot of wear in its right shoulder. The groove between the right shoulder and the second segment is almost gone. Obviously the people who installed this tire after the blow out of two years ago, did not align it correctly. The problem I have is that I cannot find the same tire to buy. It is Michelin Pilote XAZ 1 315/80 R 22.5. The left tire is almost new and it does not show any wear. I would hate to have to buy two tires when I only need one. There are XAZ 2 tires on the market but I do not know the difference between XAZ 1 and XAZ 2. Can anybody help me with info regarding these different tires, and also if anybody knows where i could find the XAZ 1 tire somewhere. Thank you very much.
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jagmoor
R front tire shows considerable right shoulder wear

I just this week replaced both steer tires with new Michelin XLEZ which is the replacement for the previous versions of Michelin truck steer tires used on RV's. I had the inside shoulder of the right tire worn down as you describe. I was able to get two tires even the left tire didn't have the noticeable wear of the right. I didn't ask about changing just one but within the same brand that may be acceptable. I also changed the front shocks to the Koni 99's as one of my Bilsteins - the one on the right - was broken and may have led to the worn shoulder. Alignment was in specs.
jagmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

Joe,

How was the failed shock broken? Did you experience front axle noise when the coach did serious rebounding? My theory is that the noise comes from the shocks being fully extended. That is why I am asking about the failure. I have changed to the Koni 99s also and love the better ride.

Thanks.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Mauro, I found this dealer online. Might give them a call. https://simpletire.com/michelin-315-80r22.5-47056-tires
Have any of the Michelin truck tire dealers in SLC had any luck locating one?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

I checked last week with Simple Tire. They do have good prices, read the fine print . They will guarantee the tires will not be any older than 4 years old. Just my experience.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwater4 View Post
I checked last week with Simple Tire. They do have good prices, read the fine print . They will guarantee the tires will not be any older than 4 years old. Just my experience.
If you can't find a matching tire and the one remaining is a 2013 or 14, not much to loose. If the XZA is no longer made, it is not going be any fresher than the last date of manufacturing. From what I understand that company carries no longer produced tires. Hopefully they can help Mauro.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

We went through similar experience last year in Canada. We had parked one night and our tires were turned outward. That is when I first noticed excessive wear on RH front tire. The steel wires were just starting to show. I got on the phone and called all commercial truck tire dealers to locate replacement tires.
Once located, we limped into Ottawa and had the tires replaced. (One of the few times in my life that I did not look hard for best price....). Then off to a truck allignment shop. It took all day and we ended up spending the night at the allignment shop.

Lesson learned, park with your wheels turned so you can give them a good examination. Our coach showed no obvious signs of misalignment with pulling to
one side as you would expect. We clearly avoided what could have been a major disaster....... I am also much more vigilant with checking tire pressure.
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tex View Post
Joe,

How was the failed shock broken? Did you experience front axle noise when the coach did serious rebounding? My theory is that the noise comes from the shocks being fully extended. That is why I am asking about the failure. I have changed to the Koni 99s also and love the better ride.

Thanks.

No, I wasn't having any noticeable noise other than one that we feel has disappeared since the change. The shock piston rod had broken from the bottom end.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
We went through similar experience last year in Canada. We had parked one night and our tires were turned outward. That is when I first noticed excessive wear on RH front tire. The steel wires were just starting to show. I got on the phone and called all commercial truck tire dealers to locate replacement tires.

Once located, we limped into Ottawa and had the tires replaced. (One of the few times in my life that I did not look hard for best price....). Then off to a truck allignment shop. It took all day and we ended up spending the night at the allignment shop.

Lesson learned, park with your wheels turned so you can give them a good examination. Our coach showed no obvious signs of misalignment with pulling to

one side as you would expect. We clearly avoided what could have been a major disaster....... I am also much more vigilant with checking tire pressure.

I'm laughing at your remark about did not "look hard ...price". I was willing to pay a bonus!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Mauro, were you able to find a matching tire? Anything that might help the next person?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

A tire shop may give you some consideration if you "Trade in" the good tire for a matching pair of new fronts. They can sell it as used.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Mauro, were you able to find a matching tire? Anything that might help the next person?
Chuck, I just got off the phone with the Simple tire people and they have that tire! Thank you very much for the information. It is probably one of the very few XZA1s remaining in the country! The left tire looks brand new so it should not be a problem just changing one. They will do the alignment because that was obviously not correct. Thanks again!
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
That's true because the tire shop can sell the carcass to a retread shop.