Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Radiator Fairy (Continued)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, I knew it was just a matter of time.... Put 1,000 miles on the coach in the last week, and stopped at rest stop for lunch and when I went back to check on toad, discovered puddle of fluid under rear end in the general area of the radiator,,,,, then noticed that the liquid was red in color and knew exactly what I was dealing with.... another bad radiator!! The first replacement was put into my 15 classic Anthem 4 months after it was delivered from the factory and has lasted maybe 18,000 miles and about a year and a half. Spartan has been good and knows that the radiator is shot and needs repaired. Had to refill the reservoir twice in several hundred miles to get where I was going and have schedule to get replaced with the "most recent design radiator" this time, and everyone has their fingers crossed that this is the last one.

Just FYI..... it is GOOD to have a spare gallon or two of coolant concentrate on board at all times. Since my first replacement radiator was swapped at a Cummins shop, I carry Fleetguard Compleat OAT coolant concentrate but whatever you have in the radiator, carry a couple of gallons of spare just in case.

One sobering thought.... just heard of a brand new Newmar King Aire which needed a new radiator at dealer delivery due to a leaking radiator.... that is a K3 chassis, and I had hoped that this sort of problem has been resolved completely, never to be heard of again.....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

RIDICULOUS !!!! One has to wonder, how many radiators are failing???? In terms of Entegra owners, few are on this site, compared to coaches built... It's a shame to have this constantly on your mind, when you take a trip..this is an expensive repair, especially if you're out of warranty..:(:(
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

Gary: if it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck! I ran with the radiator cap loose which keeps pressure down until you get to destination! I trust you are in Quartzite would love to be there! Eric

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum Eric Linde
Ericlinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #4

How common is it for the new-design replacement radiators to fail?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Mine was replaced at spartan with the latest and greatest in October last year(epoxied). I asked the tech about failures on the new ones and he said he hadn't heard of one failing. I noticed that they brought 2 out to the coach to start with, and of course I had to ask. He said that they were packed that way. Then added that the old ones sometimes would leak from the start.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Bob, my radiator was replaced Nov of 15. Charlie Fisher told me it was one of the first shipments of the new style radiator. The date of our emails was 11/3/15. So if that is true the new epoxied radiators started Nov 2015. Anything before that was a replacement with the "might leak again" radiators.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are the radiators leaking from the core, the tanks, or where the core header is attached to the tank/s?

My father owned and operated a radiator shop for 30 years and I loved working there in summer repairing radiators. That was, of course, when most all radiators were copper cores with brass tanks. They were fairly easy to repair unless they had a lot of physical damage.

Guess most of all them nowadays are aluminum cores with either crimped on or glued on tanks. I've told myself if/when I have to replace my radiator, I will try and get a real copper/brass radiator. There is a place in Sweet Home, OR that claims to make steel tank, copper/brass core radiators, Radiator Supply House.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgilmore View Post
RIDICULOUS !!!! One has to wonder, how many radiators are failing???? In terms of Entegra owners, few are on this site, compared to coaches built... It's a shame to have this constantly on your mind, when you take a trip..this is an expensive repair, especially if you're out of warranty..:(:(

I so agree. I am in that Nerving period also... I think my is going go but I can't quite prove it.
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #9

My 2014 Aspire had fluid under it once and I checked the hose clamps and found the lower hose at the radiator was a little loose. I tightened it up and so far no more leaks. Is Spartan replacing them on older Entegras for free? Since this is a known issue I thought maybe..........

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
My 2014 Aspire had fluid under it once and I checked the hose clamps and found the lower hose at the radiator was a little loose. I tightened it up and so far no more leaks. Is Spartan replacing them on older Entegras for free? Since this is a known issue I thought maybe..........

Doug

Nope, have to prove they are leaking with a certified pressure test. Then, if still in warranty and yours likely is, free replacement. If out of warranty they sometimes off to furnish the radiator but you have to pay the labor. All just what I have been told and JMHO

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

maybe we'll find out these radiators are made South of the border.......

If that's the case maybe there will be an incentive offered to be made here
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW,copper core radiators had their leak problems as well (and other issues too). That said, with the cost of copper, perhaps copper core radiators are just too expensive. I am not aware of any copper core radiators this size made by anyone. Perhaps, I am mistaken. In any event, if these (made in China) are $1500+labor, I hate to think what a copper core ones would be.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
FWIW,copper core radiators had their leak problems as well (and other issues too). That said, with the cost of copper, perhaps copper core radiators are just too expensive. I am not aware of any copper core radiators this size made by anyone. Perhaps, I am mistaken. In any event, if these (made in China) are $1500+labor, I hate to think what a copper core ones would be.
I suspect they are expensive but what on these beasts isn't??

I was told by a trusted Country Coach repair expert in Oregon that he uses radiators from those folks in Oregon who make copper/brass/steel radiators if he has to replace one on a CC. He said on my Allure it could run $5K - $7K for parts and labor.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #14

The radiator would be covered by Spartan's 36 months or 50000 miles warranty right?
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator