Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #71

I'm happy to report the shop in Buda that was doing the ball joints recall found the coolant leak and it wasn't a radiator leak. Broken hose clamp. They replaced both clamps for $95. Unfortunately they also found engine oil leak from valve cover. Back to Cummins.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
I'm happy to report the shop in Buda that was doing the ball joints recall found the coolant leak and it wasn't a radiator leak. Broken hose clamp. They replaced both clamps for $95. Unfortunately they also found engine oil leak from valve cover. Back to Cummins.

The valve covers are pretty easy to tighten down from the top. Unless you're close to a cummins dealer, I think I'd do it myself. Just start in the middle of the cover and work out while tightening and criss-cross.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
The valve covers are pretty easy to tighten down from the top. Unless you're close to a cummins dealer, I think I'd do it myself. Just start in the middle of the cover and work out while tightening and criss-cross.
Here's the kicker. One of the bolts is broken. The service manager at the shop pointed it out to me. How did it get broken? No clue or maybe the shop tech attempted what you just said and broke it. I'm concerned now Cummins is going to deny warranty claim. All I know is I did not touch it.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #74

Entegra Owners Club
I'd simply ask the service manager, should he question, how a 70+ short guy (no offense) with no tools could begin to get at it, even if you know where to start. Although, a broken bolt in this area would be extremely unusual, unless you had had previous work done. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #75

Radiator R & R completed. Spartan sent out the complete cooling pack and Lazydays Chassis Shop did the job. 12 hours to complete and 1 night in a hotel.

In this particular case I give an A+ to the service we received from Lazydays. I and many others have not always made that comment after receiving not so great service.

When I discovered the radiator leak and contacted Spartan they gave me a suggestion list in Florida in no specific order and the first 2 closest did not have time for 10-14 days to perform the required pressure test. I called Doug Earle, Lazydays CC service manager and he arranged the test with the chassis shop for 3 days later on our way through. He kept us informed over the next 2 weeks via email as to the order, shipping and receiving process of the radiator and then scheduled our replacement appointment as it worked best for us.

Hopefully this is yet another sign of a dealership/service center realizing they need to step up to the next level to keep up with the competition !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #76

Entegra Owners Club
Brian, JMO but I think the Spartan shop is a separate entity or management of LD. It is also the only area of LD that I have received decent service. Nothing I would like to hear more than a good report about the service bays like NIRVC is receiving.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I'd simply ask the service manager, should he question, how a 70+ short guy (no offense) with no tools could begin to get at it, even if you know where to start. Although, a broken bolt in this area would be extremely unusual, unless you had had previous work done. JMHO
x2 Dave. I'll post a pic of bolt see if anyone can figure out how it broke.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #78

Entegra Owners Club
Roger, as tight as the oil filters, generator filter and drain plugs are from the Cummins factory, it is possible they same thing may have happened to the valve cover bolts. Cummins has always been good to me on warranty repairs.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #79

I'm staying positive.😎
Old 12-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #80

The bottom pic is oil leak on coolant hose. The upper is the broken bolt. The pic is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_122459.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	185339   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_122429.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	185340  

Old 12-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #81

Entegra Owners Club
Rog,

I am assuming that the bolt goes into a threaded hole in the motor body, so it is not only strange that it broke, but also strange that it backed out that far. You can bet the previous owner didn't work on the engine. I would be surprised if he even had a crescent wrench. I would keep both Spartan and Cummins aware of what is going on. They should also have a record if your coach went in for anything unusual that would have impacted the engine as well.JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #82

Ok as far as being backed out, the shop manager where I did the ball joints recall told me they tried to remove it but it wouldn't come out. So they obviously messed with it. It is threaded to engine block. I suspect the shop broke it trying to stop oil leak. But how to prove that? Will have to wait till Cummins looks at it.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #83

Entegra Owners Club
I am joining the radiator repair club. Techs at the Alvarado Spartan class said dripping was it. Spartan had me take it to Holt Cat outside Austin TX. They pressure tested and sent pics. Spartan is sending the replacement. Warranty expires end of Feb 2018. 12905 miles. Had no issues while we were in it full time for 15 months. Next week we hope to have it back in the barn first time the refrigerator and inverters are off in two years. Winter and spring trips coming up. Retiring again the end of February. 6 years driving Entegra, this is #2. Love it.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #84

Angry Spartan Radiator Leaks Strikes

I just returned from a six month 18K mile trip. The Good, The Bad and The ugly Good - lucky for me we made it back to Florida before realizing the radiator devil had struck my 2013 Entegra Cornerstone. The Bad - the unit is out of warranty and there is a 60 day back log waiting period for the $1400 radiator not including S&H, R&R. The Ugly - Spartan does have the complete radiator and cooling assembly set available for $3100 + S&H and $2400 R&R. Over $6500 for a radiator that sounds like it has to be replaced multiple times. Shame on you Spartan
Bennie and Dianne Jackson
2013 Cornerstone
F-150 Platinum Toad
bj0287 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, radiator