Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Radiator leak [emoji35]

Its looks like my 2017 Anthem has developed the common radiator leak. Its using a little more than a pint every 500 miles. A quick check of the coolant hoses did not reveal any leaks, however there is a suspicious stain and wet spot in the lower aft corner of the radiator. We are currently in Vermont and will soon be heading go Florida ( Fort Myers area ). Is there a shop you would recommend for the radiator repair or replacement in Florida or even somewhere on the east coast ?
Les1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

I hope it's not the radiator! A pint every 500 miles doesn't seem like very much so I'd really look over the other areas. a couple of years ago I noticed coolant on my toad and I was going through a little coolant. I found the hose attached to the radiator was loose just enough to let coolant out while it was under pressure.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

Les, take a look at the surge tank. I know you saw a wet spot on the radiator, but I couldn't believe how long it took me to find my leak on the rear of the surge tank even though it was staring me right in the face.

What helped me was laying something under the coach so I could catch the exact place it was dripping. Then traced it backward from there. Still after a couple different trips under the engine/tank, a buddy walked up and said here's your problem in less than 3 seconds.

Steve
Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

pressure test your radiator
turbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	261831
Old 09-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les1951 View Post

This is picture of the radiator... There is a dandelion blossom in the corner[emoji16]
Old 09-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
On your way down, NIRVC in Atlanta. Palm Truck Center here in Ft Myers won't do radiators even though they are the local Spartan shop. Have you checked with Spartan yet? 2017 hopefully will still be under warranty. If so they will set everything up for you.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #8

Les,

1st time trying to post pictures..., in case you're wondering why I submitted the 1st empty response, I pushed submit before inserting text!

Hopefully this will work...
While at Spartan 2 weeks ago it was brought to my attention that the hose clamp identified within the yellow circle was loose, thereby allowing a small leak to occur. It never reaches the ground as it evaporates from the engine heat as it drips onto the area below the clamp.
You can gain access by opening the floor access hatch in the back bath floor of the "B" Model, looking directly down it should be directly in your line of sight giving you the ability to tighten accordingly.
Granted, you have posted the picture of obvious moisture, but the loose hose clamp may apply to someone having a leak but not able to identify the location of such.
Attached Images

2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #9

I had a pretty good leak in my Newell. The repair/replacement was over $10,000. I ended up using K-Seal and it worked great, I used 2 of the small bottles, got them at Wally. You have to turn of all the valves IE Aqua Hot etc. pour into a cool radiator then run the motor up to temp for 30 minutes or so. In my case it fully sealed after driving for an hour or so.

https://www.kseal.com/
Capt Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #10

Capt. Van,

I don't doubt the success of "K-Seal" in your Coach, although I wouldn't want to have to explain to a Warranty writer what the unidentified product is in the coolant that has now possibly caused damage to the engine, subsequently voiding the Warranty if prior to the 5 year mark.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
A few years ago while attending the Entegra rally in Las Vegas, I noticed the traditional "wet corner" of a leaking radiator. Since Spartan was on site, I called the Spartan boys over to have a look. After inspection, they agreed that the radiator needed replacing but since it was a slow leak, that I could probably make it home for the repair (Vancouver, WA).

I checked the coolant level at each overnight stop and to my surprise, levels were normal. I did not have to add any coolant. Once home, the wet spot had dried up completely and no leak was apparent.

However, the next morning, the wet spot was back (see photo). A fellow RVer suggested I make sure it was coolant by dabbing the wet spot with a clean white tissue and make sure the liquid was red. It was not! Looked like plain water.

Then I noticed that directly above the radiator was the roof gutter spout (see pix #2). We had had a bit of rain the night before (and also in Las Vegas) so apparently the spout drips water down the side of the coach and into the radiator where it collects in the lower aft corner.

Anyway, have not had to replace the radiator (yet) or add fluid. So be sure to test your leak with a clean white tissue and check for red fluid. It may just be rain water especially if you're not adding coolant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leak.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	261870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainspout.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	261871  

Old 09-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #12

X2 on the gutter drip...it was a pleasant surprise when I realized I don't have the leaking radiator (yet)
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:09 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
If your leak does lead to a radiator replacement, the repair will probably mean leaving your coach or returning when radiator is shipped. While not everyone’s favorite repair facility, we had a satisfactory replacement done at Lazy Days. We went to have diagnosis confirmed at which time radiator and surge tank were ordered. Like you, our leak was slow and we returned when parts were shipped and available for repair. Repair was done in one day and has been fine since last March.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:36 AM   #14

Mine was first notice last October, when Safeco needed to add coolant to the surge tank while doing an oil change.

In the spring I notice the wet corner, verified my early '17 was still (barely) under spartan warranty, and called them. I was able to email pics sufficient for them to verify the radiator as the problem.

They advance shipped the new style modine radiator, surge tank, sensor, and misc stuff to Buddy Gregg in W. Knoxville. They have a small campground onsite where I was able to stay. Service took 2 days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rad leak inside 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	261899   Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator leak 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	261900  

oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags