Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 05:32 AM   #1

Radiator, My Turn!!

A few days ago I spotted the telltale drip of antifreeze in the back bottom of the radiator housing.
I'd really hoped to escape the dreaded defective radiator with our '17, but it's not to be.

I called Spartan yesterday, I am still in warrantee. They need pictures of the ends of the inside of the radiator, shot through the fan blades. Odd, but what ever, it's doable.

Coolant is just a little low, I'll add some final charge asap.

Also have the "rusty overflow tank neck", will get that taken care of too.

Did some checking and a phone call, seems Buddy Greg RV is an authorized spartan chassis service center?
I called them, they seem to talk a good game, and can get me in toward the end of June and complete the job in a single day.

Anyone have any comments on Buddy Gregg's service department, or a recommendation for a good spartan chassis shop around E. Tennessee / Knoxville?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator leak 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	248100   Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator leak 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	248101  

oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #2

Jim

Distressing to hear that you have the classic problem on your 17. I was under the impression that Spartan was now using a different radiator manufacturer. Maybe someone with real knowledge on when the new radiator was started to be installed, or some code that would let me definitively know what radiator I have in my 19.

I know nothing about buddy Gregg's operation now, but I can tell you that Massey Diesel in Phoenix swapped the radiator in my Anthem in about 6 hours and spent the rest of the day dealing with getting new coolant of my choice and getting it into the radiator. However, it looked like an easy one day job with the right equipment.

good luck

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Jim

Distressing to hear that you have the classic problem on your 17. I was under the impression that Spartan was now using a different radiator manufacturer. Maybe someone with real knowledge on when the new radiator was started to be installed, or some code that would let me definitively know what radiator I have in my 19.

I know nothing about buddy Gregg's operation now, but I can tell you that Massey Diesel in Phoenix swapped the radiator in my Anthem in about 6 hours and spent the rest of the day dealing with getting new coolant of my choice and getting it into the radiator. However, it looked like an easy one day job with the right equipment.

good luck

Gary
Jim, we bought our Entegra at Buddy Greg 3 years ago while on a trip. Traded in our 5th wheel and truck. We did get a good trade in and purchase price for the coach but that is when all the service ended. We stayed over the weekend to move everything out of the 5th wheel and noticed the bedroom slide had a large gap at the top when open. Called the salesman and he said we had to wait till Monday as no one worked on the weekend. Monday got up early waiting for someone to come get the coach and by 9am no one came. I called the salesman back and his response was I needed to go and talk to service and schedule an appointment. Needless to say I went ballistic. After 2 days of them trying to adjust the slide I gave up. They lied to me about calling Entegra on how to adjust it. We didn't realize ottomans came with this model but they were missing, never got them. Found out later that Entegra gives them $5000 to prep the coach and make sure everything is working, but that wasn't done. The awnings were pitched in the middle way out of alignment. Not impressed with them at all. Also our radiator on our 17 went out at 27,000 miles.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Buddy Gregg's has always had a top notch reputation. .
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,
2019’s and on have a different radiator manufacturer which is Modine.
Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

Steve:

Do you know if there is a marking that proves that manufacturer? Also, are the radiators the new manufacturer in all models of '19 coaches, or only specific models?

Also, I know that Buddy Gregg went out of business (actually "went under" north of Dallas) and needed to sell out for whatever he could get quickly. I would guess that the operation in Knoxville or wherever it is was a second location and whoever bought it bought the name and the location. I have heard both good and bad stories about that dealer from my general area of the world and have decided I will get all my work done at NIRVC if at all possible. However, as an old sailor, we know the saying: "Any port in a storm!!!"

Gary
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #7

One Knight, Call Henry at Premier Truck in Knoxville 800 443 2324. I had them replace my radiator under warranty one month ago ,even though they are a Freightliner dealer. Spartan paid the bills. My experience with Buddy Gregg on any Spartan issue has not been good. Henry took care of me and talked with Brian at Spartan and it didn't cost me a dime.
Renu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #8

If you need additional information my email is Renu950@aol.com
Renu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,
When I talked with Spartan awhile back I was only asking about the K2 & K3 and all of them have the Modine radiator starting in ‘19. Not sure about any other chassis as I didn’t ask.
Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Wonder how Spartan defines a 19. We have one of the first 19's made - took delivery in March, 2018. I'll have to look again for the date but I know the chassis predates that by more than a month or two. Is the radiator marked with "Modine" anywhere?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #11

Linda

That is also why I am asking. My coach is a 19 but probably started coming down the line in March so I hope I dont have an old frame. I do have the new engine, so maybe that helps but if the word Modine in on there somewhere, that would be nice.

Gary
Old 06-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
A few days ago I spotted the telltale drip of antifreeze in the back bottom of the radiator housing.
I'd really hoped to escape the dreaded defective radiator with our '17, but it's not to be.

I called Spartan yesterday, I am still in warrantee. They need pictures of the ends of the inside of the radiator, shot through the fan blades. Odd, but what ever, it's doable.

Coolant is just a little low, I'll add some final charge asap.

Also have the "rusty overflow tank neck", will get that taken care of too.

Did some checking and a phone call, seems Buddy Greg RV is an authorized spartan chassis service center?
I called them, they seem to talk a good game, and can get me in toward the end of June and complete the job in a single day.

Anyone have any comments on Buddy Gregg's service department, or a recommendation for a good spartan chassis shop around E. Tennessee / Knoxville?
We headed west last September, the radiator on our 17 Aspire started losing coolant. It was a slow leak -- had to add about 12-20 ounces of Final Charge every day -- and I was able to baby it several thousand miles until we got Phoenix. There Massey Diesel diagnosed the problem as a leaking radiator, took pictures, sent them to Spartan, and Spartan approved warranty replacement. They sent Massey a new radiator and they installed it. We drove the coach back to Mesa and stayed there for another month, then headed back east. We didn't get 200 miles before I noticed the new radiator leaking. We continued to San Antonio, adding coolant as necessary each day. Holt Cat in San Antonio took pictures. Sent them to Spartan, and Spartan finally agreed to send another new radiator. So we wait a week for the new one to show up. Holt calls us and says the radiator arrived, but it's damaged. So we wait another 5 days for yet another radiator to show up. It's intact, so Holt installs it, and we hit the road again for home (Tennessee).

The first night we pull into an RV park, and I notice there's coolant on the ground under the radiator. Again! I needed to add about 16 ounces of coolant to bring the level up to the sight glass. We had spent 2 weeks in a hotel with our 2 dogs in San Antonio, and we weren't about to repeat that experience again. So we continued on another 4 days back to Tennessee. When we got home, I contacted Buddy Gregg. They were able to give me an appointment for a week later. They looked at the problem and discovered a hose clamp with stripped threads. They replaced the clamp, tested the system, and said it was no longer leaking. I picked up the coach and put it in storage in Knoxville. Today we pulled it out of storage and drove it 70 miles to Crossville, where we'll load it up and then head to Branson. I didn't see any leaking coolant, and I'm hoping the problem is fixed. But I'll be keeping an eye on the coolant level each night.

I've taken my coach to Buddy Gregg 3 times in the past year and a half. I've been treated well every time, and I would certainly recommend them based on my experience.

Not sure I could say the same about the quality of Spartan's radiators. When he replaced my radiator in Phoenix, Tom at Massey's told me that Spartan said that their records showed that the radiator in my coach had already been replaced once. That would have been before we took delivery. If that's the case, our coach is on its 4th radiator now. Maybe we're just unlucky. Or maybe Spartan hasn't solved their radiator problems. At least all of these replacements have been covered under warranty. However, we might have to get rid of this coach when the Spartan warranty is up. I have zero confidence that this radiator will last for 4 or 5 years.
RLH241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #13

If I were in KY, I would go to Spartan in Southern Michigan.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:11 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Wonder how Spartan defines a 19. We have one of the first 19's made - took delivery in March, 2018. I'll have to look again for the date but I know the chassis predates that by more than a month or two. Is the radiator marked with "Modine" anywhere?
I hope someone can make a call to Spartan and find out what dates the Modine radiator was put into service.

The old "new" radiators were shipped for replacement on 11/16. Some of the 17's received the "old" radiators will into the model year. I hope Spartan replaced what was in house before a coach was built on it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator