Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #15

😎 Chuck, great post about DEF and some safety tips on preventing dangerous heating situations in doors! Seriously guys those regents produce some serious heat and can have repercussions. Thanks for the reminder Chuck.🚌🚓
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
😎 Chuck, great post about DEF and some safety tips on preventing dangerous heating situations in doors! Seriously guys those regents produce some serious heat and can have repercussions. Thanks for the reminder Chuck.🚌🚓
Thanks Gene, I just learned the hard way about trying to air tires with the onboard compressor and the regeneration cycle. I wonder how much fuel that cost? Not much, scared me more than anything until until I called Cummins.

Do not let your MH's sit idling too long, you will not like the outcome. When the engine sense it has loaded up, it takes off on it own to burn the pollutants off at something like 1800 degrees.

Now back to the compressors
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Ha! Well, you did say you spent an hour trying to air up two tires off the engine compressor, so the thread flowed kinda easily from there...
You're right, I did lead it that way. If they have, or get a compressor, they will probably never get into the engine high idle and dangerous high heat situation. Still a win win.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
With four compressors at the hanger, none would air my front tires up to the required 125 PSI. I tried using the onboard compressor with Corey's nice bleed air chuck but ran into a problem. The engine idled to long and went into a high idle exhaust regeneration cycle. I had to pull the MH out into the open due to the high heat that is generated when that happens and the risk of burning the paint off the hanger floor.

After spending an hour trying to air 2 tires, I took Bill in Fl advise and went to Harbor Freight and picked up this compressor. On sale with coupon for $99. It aired the 2 tires up in a couple of minutes after "learning how" to use a small compressor. Nice little compressor.

6 gal. 1.5 HP 150 PSI Professional Air Compressor

Bought the same one last year. Good choice.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

IDLE

Does the heat and regent at idle a different issue if idle at high rpm's? I learned at Spartan school it is not good to run the bus at idle without setting the rpm's up. Does that help this scenario?

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Never understood the wisdom of doing a cold start up of the multi thousand dollar coach engine, shutting it down just a few moments later (long before it will ever get to full operating temps) vs spending the $89 ( in my case, for the same Sears Craftsman compressor Clifftall has) - with or without a DEF system. Of course, not many can claim to have a 450 hp air compressor!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Can't really say Ron, but I am not use to fast idle and I probably did cause it. On my previous MH I could air the tires at idle with no problem. I did not set the idle to 1,000 RPM and I did experience the "melt down". I still have things to learn with the new technology. EPA is not my friend. It still isn't worth the hassle for me using the onboard compressor if the engine idle is that sensitive and the length of time the engine has to run to air the tires up.

I still carry Corey's great tool idea for emergency purposes as I will not be carrying the compressor. Takes up too much tool and beer storage.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #22

We rarely use our MH except to visit family, so lots of room in the basement. My air compressor sits in the bay that could house a TV (but doesn't). It stays plugged into the TV outlet, and the hose I have can reach all six tires without having to lift the compressor.

If the TPMS tells me that I need air in a tire, I turn the compressor ON, and it's pressurized by the time I get the hose to the tire.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Never understood the wisdom of doing a cold start up of the multi thousand dollar coach engine, shutting it down just a few moments later (long before it will ever get to full operating temps) vs spending the $89 ( in my case, for the same Sears Craftsman compressor Clifftall has) - with or without a DEF system. Of course, not many can claim to have a 450 hp air compressor!
Some people have to learn that lesson the hard way. I did.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #24

We got a 150 psi pancake from Lowes when we couldn't get enough pressure at a gas station. Now we carry it with us all the time. It doesn't take up much space and I use it to blow water of the coach after I wash it. I got a big long extension to the blow gun from Harbor Freight. Nice to have what you need with you. It was on sale for $109 at the time.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Great with gun attachment too, detail the dash,blow dirt out of the coach, AC rib cleaning, blow leaves off the roof and slide covers.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
John, I picked up one of these to blow the MH after washing. Also blow the campsite off when we park. I keep it in the back of my truck and it's unbelievable how many uses I find for it. Especially in the middle of remodeling a house.

It is amazing how many uses any kind of blower has, even the compressor. Good idea for using the compressor to blow dry the MH.

Ryobi ONE+ 120 mph 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Hard Surface Blower/Sweeper - Battery and Charger Not Included-P2105 - The Home Depot

Old 05-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Can't really say Ron, but I am not use to fast idle and I probably did cause it. On my previous MH I could air the tires at idle with no problem. I did not set the idle to 1,000 RPM and I did experience the "melt down". I still have things to learn with the new technology. EPA is not my friend. It still isn't worth the hassle for me using the onboard compressor if the engine idle is that sensitive and the length of time the engine has to run to air the tires up.

I still carry Corey's great tool idea for emergency purposes as I will not be carrying the compressor. Takes up too much tool and beer storage.
I was told about an "Air Doubler" made by SMC Pneumatics. They are installed on all Newells and Marathons. It is a small (fits in both hands) device that doubles the air PSI. It hooks to the air chuck on all Entegras.........simple quick connect air hose in.........air hose out. I put one in with a good quality 50' air hose that hands on a hook in the bay. Fills the tires on the Cornerstone the last 15-20 PSI in less than 20 seconds with the compressor on the coach. They are quite amazing and take virtually no room. If anyone needs info.......PM me. Their not cheap (Around $250) but it is one of those things that just works well!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanmoho View Post
I was told about an "Air Doubler" made by SMC Pneumatics. They are installed on all Newells and Marathons. It is a small (fits in both hands) device that doubles the air PSI. It hooks to the air chuck on all Entegras.........simple quick connect air hose in.........air hose out. I put one in with a good quality 50' air hose that hands on a hook in the bay. Fills the tires on the Cornerstone the last 15-20 PSI in less than 20 seconds with the compressor on the coach. They are quite amazing and take virtually no room. If anyone needs info.......PM me. Their not cheap (Around $250) but it is one of those things that just works well!

These doublers really work. Bob Dickman Tire has sold a couple of versions for years now. They are pricy but if you watch eBay or some RV Club sites you can find a deal. I picked one up from a Country Coach owner who had just sold his coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, tires