Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, you can change while in motion. No problem at all.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Yes, you can change while in motion. No problem at all.
Thanks Marc, I was hoping this was the case. In my previous coach you could not make any changes until the brake was set. My toad is the same way. I appreciate the safety aspect of this, but it really frustrates the DW when she can't make the changes while we're moving.
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw8602 View Post
Thanks Marc, I was hoping this was the case. In my previous coach you could not make any changes until the brake was set. My toad is the same way. I appreciate the safety aspect of this, but it really frustrates the DW when she can't make the changes while we're moving.
If I remember correctly, I had to say "yes" in the initial setup to use the GPS while in motion. I guess it's a liability thing.

DW's Lexus is the same way, can't use the GPS while in motion except to watch it. Never updated it and bought a Garmin instead.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=brobox;2288954]If I remember correctly, I had to say "yes" in the initial setup to use the GPS while in motion. I guess it's a liability thing.

Good to know info Chuck on the initial setup process. Wish I had that option on my Jeep. Like you, I was frustrated enough with my previous coaches GPS, I bought a portable Magellan that was outstanding. Plus, I was able to mount it where I could easily view it, unlike the factory installed unit.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=brianw8602;2289137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If I remember correctly, I had to say "yes" in the initial setup to use the GPS while in motion. I guess it's a liability thing.

Good to know info Chuck on the initial setup process. Wish I had that option on my Jeep. Like you, I was frustrated enough with my previous coaches GPS, I bought a portable Magellan that was outstanding. Plus, I was able to mount it where I could easily view it, unlike the factory installed unit.
The Entegra unit is in a nice location, plus you have the 32 inch overhead TV that it is also viewable on. In the P/S compartment next to the TV, unplug the black box the TV is plugged into, then plug the TV back into the wall outlet. It will now work with the engine running. Set the TV "source" to AVI and the GPS from the factory should already be programed to work on the overhead TV. No more squinting to see road names.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Chuck, I'll have to remember that for the setup when we take delivery. I really appreciate the information
Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I like mine just fine, however the Sirius satellite radio doesn't work hardly ever unless we are moving. And then only sometimes. We can be in middle of a desert with not a tree in sight, or clouds in the sky, and the signal cuts in and out.
Have had the the signal refreshed several times just to have it go out a little later. This is on the punch list for our dealer when we get there later this month.
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater18 View Post
I like mine just fine, however the Sirius satellite radio doesn't work hardly ever unless we are moving. And then only sometimes. We can be in middle of a desert with not a tree in sight, or clouds in the sky, and the signal cuts in and out.
Have had the the signal refreshed several times just to have it go out a little later. This is on the punch list for our dealer when we get there later this month.
Similar problems and when at Entegra last week, they found it was a bad antenna and replaced. No issues in 1350 miles since. Suggest give them a call...not sure, but there are several possibilities, loose connection, bad antenna. Mine went from fine to "no signal".
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Similar problems and when at Entegra last week, they found it was a bad antenna and replaced. No issues in 1350 miles since. Suggest give them a call...not sure, but there are several possibilities, loose connection, bad antenna. Mine went from fine to "no signal".
Yes Dave, I suspected as much, but don't have an extra antenna to hook in. Have checked all the connections I can find, so it's on the punch list when we get to Lazydays in a few weeks.
Today it didn't work all day, but about 15 minutes after we parked for the day, it started working with full signal strength. Go figure.....
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 AM   #24

Definately looe connection.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater18 View Post
Yes Dave, I suspected as much, but don't have an extra antenna to hook in. Have checked all the connections I can find, so it's on the punch list when we get to Lazydays in a few weeks.

Today it didn't work all day, but about 15 minutes after we parked for the day, it started working with full signal strength. Go figure.....

Our radio didn't work well at all when we picked it up last December so when we stopped by the factory in April they found a defective antenna cable buried behind the wood trim by the front door. Quite an ordeal to replace it. They cracked the trim board while removing it. Had to stay an extra day to get it replaced but the good news is the radio is great now.
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #26

Back to the original question. I don't know the exact implementation of the Rand-McNally that will be on my 2015 Anthem when it arrives, but I have the 2014 version of the same stand-alone GPS with the most recent updates on both software and maps, and I can assure you, you are going to get strange routings with it. I currently carry three GPSs with me running all the time. One is an old 2005 vintage Garmin Street Pilot 7200 (running current maps), the Rand-McNally RV GPS, and a Garmin auto type GPS running the most recent maps and software that my DW uses as co-pilot. You can get strange routings from all of them, but I have been particularly disappointed in the Rand-McNally since it was supposed to be designed for a big rig. Its has sent me 80 miles out of the way, through city streets left and right seemingly for an hour to go somewhere I could easily have gotten to much more easily if I had done my own routing. This is occasionally true for all three. I don't trust any of them, unless all of three of them are in agreement, and I have done my own homework with a motor carrier's Atlas, Google Maps, Mapquest. satellite view, street view, etc. I always also step through each turn in the routing before I start the trip to see if the turn logic makes sense.

My opinion is that the Rand McNally RV GPS cannot be depended on blindly, and only after you make sure that it all makes sense by doing your own homework.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #27

Agree with the above - still a whole lot better than the old days with dozens of paper maps and my wife telling me about the exit I just missed.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
No GPS can be relied upon blindly, and I find the RM is about as good as any. Imperfect as they are, I wouldn't want to drive a big MH without one. I always (well, almost always) review the route the night before so I can make my own choices about the best route to take.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps