Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Rand McNally question

Has anyone else had issues with the Rand McNally units and weight limitations? Today I was traveling between Virginia Beach and Cape Hatteras and ended up crossing a bridge with a weight rating less than the GVWR of my Cornerstone. By the time I actually saw the rating, I was on the bridge. Even if I would have seen it in advance, I would have had a hard time since it was on a 2 lane road with NO way to turn around.

This is the second time that this has happened and, yes, I have set up the gps for my coach. The last time it happened it was on a country road. Bad enough, but, bridges are another matter.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have had trouble when I enter a Campground or Resort in a remote location, I sometimes use the GPS coordinates read off Allstays if I can't browse to it easily. Generally because I don't know the name of the small town nearby it is listed under. After I enter the GPS coords the GPS will say something like "no legal routing found for your vehicle". Then if I take the time and browse the name of the CG up from the database it will find a legal route and be happy.

As for routing vs weight limits I guess I'm afraid to know.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know but could it be that the data about the weight limit on that bridge has not been entered into the data base for RM?
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

I have found that problem in both height and weight. I called and all they say is I'll have them fix it. Not very comforting. I lost an antenna because of it.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have found the RM to not be very accurate in that category, but just the opposite on my experience. A road I have taken many times with no restrictions, RM gave a height a weight warning and would not route me on that road.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #6

We recently bought a Rand McNally 7730RVND. In the brief time I've used it, I'm forming the opinion it is no better than my old Garmin with lifetime map updates, in fact it does not have as many options as the Garmin, except for the RV data entry screens.
Hopefully I will find/discover many more functions in the Rand that will cause me to think my money was well-spent.
The RV data is really unnecessary, as I always use a Rand McNally truckers atlas to confirm my route, which is always highlighted in orange as safe for large trucks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have used many GPS units of various types, and usually I find the Garmins most to my liking, but I have gotten used to the RM and I kind of like it. Took a while to learn the menu structure, which is not as intuitive as Garmin's.

I have had only a few minor routing glitches, which I think any GPS will have at times. I don't think the weights and clearances can be relied upon in any GPS unit as there are just so many places that some will always slip through the cracks.

What I really like about the RM unit is the ease of finding RV places like truck stops, rest areas, Walmarts, and campgrounds. This is much easier to do on the RM than on my older Garmin unit. Maybe the newer Garmins are better. I also like the way it shows speed limits and gives overspeed alerts, and the way it warns of upcoming sharp curves, hills etc. It gives good advance warning of upcoming lane changes.

Each GPS is a set of compromises. All in all, I am not unhappy with the RM GPS.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Marc, I totally agree, the RM is a "fun" GPS to use and the features are nice. Like other GPS's not all features are 100 accurate. I have loaded many POI's from the POI factory over the years and even those are not 100% accurate.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I also have the RM. As the previous poster said they all have their drawbacks and not all are 100% accurate. The Rand has a great deal of info available on the screen. If I do not use it for a few months I have to re learn all the stuff it has. I also have an older Garmin and found the Garmin calculates faster and responds quicker when you touch the screen. But I am very satisfied with the RM. One of the nicest features is the way you can send them routing problems via their website. Also customer support picks up the phone very fast no long wait.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

Commercial Member

Hi Folks,

I am happy to answer any questions on the RV GPS. I see a few questions about weight & height restrictions which I can look into right away. If you'd can post specifics on your location, weight entered in RV Info and the weight or height restricted road I can research further.

Here's hoping I can provide a little support!
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi Folks,

I am happy to answer any questions on the RV GPS. I see a few questions about weight & height restrictions which I can look into right away. If you'd can post specifics on your location, weight entered in RV Info and the weight or height restricted road I can research further.

Here's hoping I can provide a little support!
Thanks for monitoring the goings on here at iRV2, RandMcSam, I'm sure that exact info for problem areas will provide quick resolution of the issues, with up dates I know it did on my 2 reports.
2 things to add to your pre-trip check list; 1 Up-date GPS, 2 Check the route the GPS has laid out for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
That is on of the reasons I went with the Rand McNally truckers version. No campgrounds but better guide for large vehicles in my opinion. They all have good and bad no perfect one that I am aware of.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Routing, even in RV mode, often sends us down cowpaths rather than going a mile or 2 farther and staying on roads suitable for an RV.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
We've got the Garmin 465T and of course the Incite. I looked into the RM and the new Garmin that appears to compete with it for RV's.

As others have noted nothing is bullet proof. We find that Google Maps is the most accurate of all. I've left the 465T on for speed limits and for weight/curve issues. It's kind of interesting to watch it "give in" to the route I'm following from Google.

If I had more room I'd add the RM - hard to have too many toys.