Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Rare duck saved my life (long, not very RV)

We have a forced change to our fall travel plans. I woke a week ago Friday with whole body aches, fever, light-headed and a stomach bug. The fever got as high as 102.9, Dr. Mom was able to break it by mid-afternoon but I continued to get sicker. By Sunday I was the sickest I have ever been, lost 18 pounds over the previous 3 days and light-headed to the point of vertigo. I took my BP and it was 55/41. Consult with our physician son and daughter-in-law and they said to get to ER, if I was unable to walk to call an ambulance. Took a shower and went in. Local ER responded like a combat zone, my BP was now 51/37, they said I should be unconscious. Started pumping fluids into me at 2000ml/hour, IV in each arm. Proclaimed be severely dehydrated and in acute renal failure and sent me to ICU.

2 days of tests showed campylobacter infection, often coming from under-cooked or raw poultry. A few days earlier we ate at our favorite French restaurant and I had magret de canard, rare duck breast. I learned to like it in France and complained that I can't get it here as rare as they serve it in France, the owner accommodated my request.

Nephrologist wanted ultrasounds of my kidneys to see if he could detect any damage, saw a shadow and ordered a CT scan. CT scan revealed kidney cancer. My tumor is 6cm, size of a tennis ball, they said they often see them the size of a cantaloupe or bigger by the time it's detected so this is "early." The cancer and the sickness are not related. This is an "incidental" diagnosis, they were looking for something else and stumbled on the cancer.

My appointment with the surgeon is Sept 15. They will do more tests then take all or part of one kidney. My son, who is a pancreatic surgeon, and a friend of his who is a urologist specializing in kidney cancer said they should be able to get it all. Recovery will be 2-4 weeks.

Bottom line, rare duck saved my life! I won't eat any more rare duck and right now am not interested in a rare steak!
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Good Lord Vance! I am so sorry to hear of your problem and will be praying for you. Going in for a kidney stone and discovering an aneurysm is sure not as bad as discovering cancer. You know I will be pulling for you 200%. God speed and a fast recovery my friend.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Glad the duck layed down his life to save yours. Best of luck with the surgery and recovery.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Summer 2014 sure has sucked for us!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I was thinking the same thing with your son and now your terrible discovery.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Best of luck, and get well soon. Would like to see the two of you at Stoneridge next summer. Regarding your summer..."Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Vance...we're praying for you buddy...guess we're going to have to come to Texas to meet. Plan well for 2015 as it has to be a better year!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

Vance: Although we've only met on line, Jen and I have followed all of your threads and have been impressed by the way you and your family handled the situation with your son earlier on, and we know that you have the strength to get through this latest crisis and come out the other side ready to roll on down the highway for many more years with your coach. Please keep us as informed of your progress as you are able. I think everyone here will be cheering for you.
Bob & Jennifer

Bob & Jennifer Stevens
2012 Aspire RBQ
Zipper and Charlie (poodles)
Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
It's good to hear they found it early. Best of luck to a speedy and complete recovery.

Jan & Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Vance, hang in there guy. It's great to hear that they detected it early.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone is looking out for you, actually many people it sounds like. You are very fortunate so many things fell into place--not to diminish how terrible these things happened at all. Best wishes.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I called and thanked the restaurant owner. He was thrilled at first when I told him his duck saved my life but when I continued I think he was afraid I was gonna sue. I was sincere in my thanks. It's still our favorite US restaurant.

Thanks to everyone for your support, good wishes and prayers. This is still a great family!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Vance glad to hear your recovering. Been there done that. Two years ago a similar discovery was made. Totally unrelated problem lead to discovery. Initially thought I would loose kidney but following surgery DR told me he was able to remove the tumor and just smeared some body fat over the area on kidney where it had been. MY question was where did he get the body fat, and why didn't he take more! Lol
Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
That is such a weird coincidence. Quack, Quack, thanks Mr Duckie.

Your family is on a roll this year....immediately go buy Powerball tickets
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote