Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

Rear ladder

Has anyone installed a ladder on the rear of the motorhome? If so, what Brand? We have a 2015 Anthem.
CDBock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

I carry a 15 & 1/2 foot teliscoping ladder that I ordered from Home Depot. Keep it in the basement and is very safe to get on the roof because it extends well past the awnings so you have a good hand hold to make the transition.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

I ordered the factory Aspire ladder for our 2013 Anthem. Powder coated it black before installation. The anchors for the ladder are still installed in the rear cap fiberglass so the ladder is simple to attach. I find it quite handy and use it often as there always seems to be some reason to get on the roof. It does not replace the need for a stand alone ladder however for washing, waxing, installing window screens, other maintenance. I sacrifice the space to carry a Little Giant because of its sturdiness and versatility.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I also installed a factory ladder. It is great to have and I would hate to be without it. Ten years ago all the coaches came with them. I wish they still did.

The Classic Entegras have monting blocks imbedded in the rear cap to support the ladder. I have read here that the new model Entegras do not.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I don't have but do miss the rear factory ladder. No longer available after 2015. However, I do have a telescoping one that like mentioned before, Tall Tex, is much higher than the coach and I believe is safer but not as handy.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You can call Entegra and get the brand name that they used, they might still have a ladder in stock. 2015 is the last year with the molded in blocks in the rear cap that supports the ladder. The new 2016 or 17 rear caps do not have the support blocks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
I ordered the factory Aspire ladder for our 2013 Anthem. Powder coated it black before installation. The anchors for the ladder are still installed in the rear cap fiberglass so the ladder is simple to attach. I find it quite handy and use it often as there always seems to be some reason to get on the roof. It does not replace the need for a stand alone ladder however for washing, waxing, installing window screens, other maintenance. I sacrifice the space to carry a Little Giant because of its sturdiness and versatility.
Al & Sally, is it possible for you to take a picture of the roof mounting of the ladder. I am concerned of the distance from rear cap forward to where the roof deck starts. It is 32" on ours.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #8

Will call Entegra for the brand name. Entegra doesn't have any more ladders in stock but they did send us the diagram of where the blocks are installed on the rear cap.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

We have a 16 Anthem so no factory ladder. I purchased an xtend n climb 17' ladder and find it easier to climb ( better angle ) then the factory ladders on any of the previous motorhomes. Personally installing a ladder if possible on ours would not be my first choice. JMHO !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered my class a with out a ladder because I had my previous one broke into by some one smashing the skylight and then dropping into the shower. All this in a locked storage yard with razor wire on top of 6 foot cyclone fence with guard dogs! So, if you don't have a ladder, don't put one on it. Get a ladder that you can store on board some where.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBock View Post
Al & Sally, is it possible for you to take a picture of the roof mounting of the ladder. I am concerned of the distance from rear cap forward to where the roof deck starts. It is 32" on ours.
There is plenty of room going forward on the rear cap before the white fiberglass starts to mount the ladder. In the rear cap there are blocks molded inside of the cap for the ladder to mount, same on the roof, it's still part of the cap. Staying with the same ladder (it's a common ladder) it will bolt right up.

Here is a photo of the ladder on the Travel Supreme which is the same cap. I have every photo of the TS except the roof mount of the ladder, but it just hooks over the top, not very far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01578.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	147969  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tex View Post
I carry a 15 & 1/2 foot teliscoping ladder that I ordered from Home Depot. Keep it in the basement and is very safe to get on the roof because it extends well past the awnings so you have a good hand hold to make the transition.
That's what I carry too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBock View Post
Has anyone installed a ladder on the rear of the motorhome? If so, what Brand? We have a 2015 Anthem.
Another idea:
I carry an extension ladder. I like it a lot better than the rear coach ladder. I feel a lot safer. I store it in a bay that goes from side to side.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

IMHO, the stock ladders are only good for someone in the low hundreds, certainly not over 150#, regardless of what the "rating" is.

Keep in mind the ladder carries you plus whatever you're dragging up top.

Our last coach had a ladder, and while I used it a couple of times, I certainly never trusted it.

Take a critical look at each step and associated attach point before use.

I carry a 300# rated telescoping extension ladder and access the roof adjacent to an extended slide at mid coach. That way, I've got some extra structure to use for balance going up and down.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote