RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

Recent Cornerstone Sanicon hose question

As some of you know, soon after I bought my 2019 Cornerstone, I thought I would be smart and cut the hose and insert a new cam-lock fitting in the hose just after it exits the coach. Well, to my surprise, the cam-locks I have are 1 1/2" males and females. Sadly, the cut sanicon hose will not fit over those cam locks. The hose appears to be 1 1/4 id hose. So I had to jury-rig (sp?) a patch and I patched the hose back together with a short section of 1" galvanized pipe. With a little shimming, the 1 1/4" sanicon hose fit nicely over the galvanized pipe and with a hose clamp made a good waterproof connection. I am now ready to buy a replacement sanicon hose (with cloth shield).

My question is that one end of the sanicon hose is the plastic fitting that screws into the vertical park sewer lines. It appears that there is a heavy rubberized plastic sleeve on the end of the sanicon hose and the plastic end fitting couples with the hose with a couple of stainless hose clamps making the connection. The other end of the sanicon hose, looks like it screws into a male cam-lock fitting but then it looks like it may be epoxied into the can-lock fitting. Does anyone know for sure how that connection is made? Is it epoxied in or some other bonding agent? The cloth outer cover is just pushed up over the cam-lock fitting and then held in place with a plastic "zip-tie". Looking for someone who really knows.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but if you don't mind, I do have a related question... did you get your cam-locks from ProFlow Dynamics? I ask because I am planning a somewhat similar project. I would like to get a 50 foot 3/4" or 1" diameter hose, and permanently connect it to its on cam-lock fitting for dumping when I get to the sticks and bricks. I know I can screw a hose onto the end of the dump end of Entegra's hose, but I would much rather manufacture my own "made for purpose" hose that can just stay at the sticks and bricks when we are away. The reason I am asking is because ProFlow's polypropylene cam-locks do come in 1", 1 & 1/4" and 1 & 1/2" inch sizes (as well as few smaller and larger sizes), but if they are not going to serve my purpose, I need to restart my cam-lock search. (If they work, for those interested who may not already know about ProFlow Dynamics: https://www.proflow-dynamics.com/pro...-fittings.html).

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

No, I have never seen that brand of cam-locks, however, it is my understanding (maybe wrong) that all cam-locks are made to be interchangeable. The ones that I have are Banjo and also whatever brand that is handled by all Tractor Supply stores. Those two are completely interchangeable, but I have not seen "odd" sizes like you mention. Tractor Supply's camlocks are definitely not the right size. I have 2 or 3 complete sets of them, all the wrong size to mate with my hose. I was on the road when I decided to make this modification (not a good idea) and I was limited in what I could find to even patch the system back together.

Now, I just went out to Amazon's site and looked and I did find a 1 1/4" male cam-lock. The problem is that I dont really know what is meant by the diameters. When I am saying 1 1/4" is the right size, I am saying that if you cut the flexible hose itself, then what it needs is a "tail-piece" that is 1 1/4" OD because the hose itself seems to be 1 1/4" ID. However, the hoses from Thetford come with a vinyl or rubberized "sleeve" over each end which is bonded onto the hose and if you can avoid cutting the hose itself, then the vinyl sleeve is what you want to be fitting onto the cam-lock fitting. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Joe Seminara yesterday who has developed a system that is quite unique, and he bought two extra short (20' hoses) hoses for variations of his "system", and he says they come in with the vinyl sleeve stock. Just as an aside, the Entegra hose is a special order for Thetford and you have to be sure that you get the right hose. The standard hose for all other coaches is 20', and the Entegra version of the hose is 30'. The price is about $225 for the 30 footer (-- --)

I'm going to order the whole hose and hope that my cam-lock fitting can be removed and is not potted-on or epoxied and can be removed. I'll let everyone know what I find, just for the iRV2 historical "record".

Again, 2019 coach owners with the Sanicon System.... your coach is going to come to you with a cam-lock installed in the back of the sanicon hose compartment. When it is time to dump, just do one of two things. You can release the vacuum lock preventing fluid from exiting the hose, simply by reaching into the storage compartment, and unlocking one side of the can-lock feature. That will admit enough air to break the vacuum. The other way, my preference, is to unlock both sides and remove the hose and then you can hold the hose up high to quickly get all the liquid out of the hose.... If you don't need to visually "see" what is coming out (??), then you need make no modification to the hose at all..... actually, it is a great system (until the macerator fails ----)

Gary
Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Gary, sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but if you don't mind, I do have a related question... did you get your cam-locks from ProFlow Dynamics? I ask because I am planning a somewhat similar project. I would like to get a 50 foot 3/4" or 1" diameter hose, and permanently connect it to its on cam-lock fitting for dumping when I get to the sticks and bricks. I know I can screw a hose onto the end of the dump end of Entegra's hose, but I would much rather manufacture my own "made for purpose" hose that can just stay at the sticks and bricks when we are away. The reason I am asking is because ProFlow's polypropylene cam-locks do come in 1", 1 & 1/4" and 1 & 1/2" inch sizes (as well as few smaller and larger sizes), but if they are not going to serve my purpose, I need to restart my cam-lock search. (If they work, for those interested who may not already know about ProFlow Dynamics: https://www.proflow-dynamics.com/pro...-fittings.html).
Dewey, I am almost sure I saw a garden hose connection on a Cam Lock at Tractor Supply. Not all of their fittings are listed online, and I have found different stores carry different fittings. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...201-1%202%20in

If not adding a hose fitting to the cap cam lock would be easy.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

If you have a Rural King close by you might try looking at what they have. Lots of Cam Lok fittings and some that size down to 3/4" garden hose thread.

https://www.ruralking.com/catalogsea...grid&start=120
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
OK - a "duh" question. If I reach in and unlock the cam locks, how hard is it to reattach them? It is awfully tight in there and I already have several battle scars just from forcing the hose in after use.

Also I assume that if the tank valves are closed it is "safe" to unlock the cams?
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
OK - a "duh" question. If I reach in and unlock the cam locks, how hard is it to reattach them? It is awfully tight in there and I already have several battle scars just from forcing the hose in after use.

Also I assume that if the tank valves are closed it is "safe" to unlock the cams?

You have to do it by feel, but it's not hard at all. Once you've done it the first time, you'll feel real comfortable about doing it after that (says the guy with small hands). However, BE PREPARED... sometimes the hose may want to jump out of the compartment when you undo that second latch. It happened to me, but fortunately, everything was already emptied out and I was just looking at how easy my desired project would be.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #8

Reconnecting the camlock is a piece of cake. Yes, you do it by feel, but it slips right into the female connector, and then you just pull one of the metal "ears" one side which holds it in position, and then pull the other "ear" and BINGO, it is back in and locked into a leakless position. Very simple! MUCH easier than getting the hose stuffed neatly back into the box. Not to worry. Piece of cake.

Gary
Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Gary on th three hoses I ordered all are attached with stainless hose clamps on the end with hose fittings that go into the plastic sleeve. I ordered my extra cam lock fittings from amazon.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #10

Tom

Thanks for that information. I ordered my new hose today and I am praying that it comes in with the rubberized/vinyl "sleeves" on each end. Then it is a matter of finding the right cam-lock fitting on the end toward the coach.

Thanks for that information

Gary
Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #11

Type “banjo 150” on amazon .
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	246137tb. Don’t mean to but in. Banjo cam licks from Amazon will work with the Thetford sanicon hose. This is how I modified my Turbo 300
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #13

I got a box of various Banjo camlock fittings. The issue is how is the hose going to arrive... what is on the ends of the sanicon hose (the one with the cloth jacket) and will the end sleeves on the sanicon hose fit with the various Banjo fittings I have. This is all a mystery because if you call Entegra Parts, they can tell you nothing about it other than it is the hose. if you call the dealer to order it, they know little more than it has sleeves on the end, but no ID or OD or anything. I am just trying to anticipate what I am up against. So all information about the hose from those who bought one already is greatly appreciated.

Gary
Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #14

mine arrived with a "plastic sleeve"at the ends. I added the protective cover and used barb end fittings and fastened with a hose clamp. The internal diameter of the sleeve was the same as the hose.

coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote