Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Rental

Have you rented =/-taken a course before you bought?
EdJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We rented a Cruise America small class C and went from TN out west and back. Our next rental was from what was Camping Time down in Atlanta. (Now Camping World) We rented a 38 footer Georgetown class A and went all the way to Prince Edward Island with that coach.

The rest is history...

2003 Coachmen Class C
2008 HR Vacationer UFO
2012 Winnie Class C
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA
2012 Entegra Aspire

If we had bought right the first time we would have saved a ton....We've traveled well into 100K + miles in RVs and have loved every minute.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

I grew up traveling in bumper towables.

I rented from Cruise America one-way from Las Vegas to Phoenix.

My wife and I both knew we loved the lifestyle so we bought a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH, had a lapse of sanity (for us) and briefly flirted with a 5th wheel, back to the Phaeton, and now an Aspire.

I do recommend trying before buying, as it's a huge expense.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #4

For those that have rented from other than Cruise America how did you handle liability insurance? Our experience (bad) is that the rental agency told us that the collision/comp on the MH was covered and liability should be covered by our auto policy. Came to find out that Allstate and every single other provider we checked with does NOT cover us in a motorhome if it has 6 or more wheels. We've had to back out of several rentals due to that issue. There are rental companies that have a policy that can temporarily add you to their policy for $$ but none in our area. We really want to try a DP. Frustrating but not willing to gamble on the liability insurance. Note, the rental company down the street has been telling renters that their auto policy covers them, even those with Allstate . . . IMHO that is a significant risk given the damage a MH weighing 25 to 40,000 pounds could do.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
For those that have rented from other than Cruise America how did you handle liability insurance? Our experience (bad) is that the rental agency told us that the collision/comp on the MH was covered and liability should be covered by our auto policy. Came to find out that Allstate and every single other provider we checked with does NOT cover us in a motorhome if it has 6 or more wheels. We've had to back out of several rentals due to that issue. There are rental companies that have a policy that can temporarily add you to their policy for $$ but none in our area. We really want to try a DP. Frustrating but not willing to gamble on the liability insurance. Note, the rental company down the street has been telling renters that their auto policy covers them, even those with Allstate . . . IMHO that is a significant risk given the damage a MH weighing 25 to 40,000 pounds could do.
Boomertx. Check out RVshare.com. They seem to have things covered there. I have not used them but when I was considering renting mine they looked the best.

Jeff
2012 Aspire DEQ
Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #6

NO, we just jumped in, but we jumped into a 2001 Monaco Dynasty tag axle in mint condition for well below $100,000. I assumed that we would either love it and upgrade or hate it after a year or two and I would not be out that much money. That was the way for us, and as you see, we upgraded and are still having a ball.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburklo View Post
Boomertx. Check out RVshare.com. They seem to have things covered there. I have not used them but when I was considering renting mine they looked the best.

Jeff
2012 Aspire DEQ
Will do and thanks! I am totally amazed at the risk some renters are willing to take to drive without liability insurance <shudder>
Old 06-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents rented a bumper pull in 1957 and ordered a 1958 KenCraft TT. I have never rented one though, I just bought them starting when I was 21 (1968).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #9

We went from a 2015 28' Airstream Flying Cloud (a really nice trailer) to a 2016 Cornerstone. I had never driven anything even near this size. For a whole year I researched all our options and, thanks to this group, we are incredibly happy with our decision.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Yup, we rented a big class C and took it on a 2-week trip before we bought. It was mostly to test whether RVing was going to be fun for our family. It also taught us bunch of lessons about what sort of RV to buy, which we factored into our purchase, so totally worth it.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #11

I have rented from General RV, nice late model units. Also from outdoorsy.co.
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
.... We really want to try a DP. ....
Seeing that you are from Texas, be aware that you'll need a Non-CDL Class B drivers license for RVs over 26000 lbs even though they will happily rent it to you without checking.
dxg0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #13

We rented a Class A first. Then bought an eleven year old 2000 Discovery.

That allowed us to make sure we enjoyed the lifestyle before jumping in with both feet.

An older RV if you are mechanically handy is a great way to make sure you like the lifestyle. You'll have a lot more issues with an old coach, but at 10% of the price point of a new Entegra, you won't lose as much money if you find you don't like the lifestyle.

BTW, if you need to convince the DW, find as nice of a rental as you can, in a location that you both want to visit. In our case, we rented in Denver so we could explore the four state region.

Steve
Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #14

On outdoorsy.co there are several Class A's to rent, I have rented a Winnebago Forza and a 2014 Newmar Mountainaire. The site offers a million dollar liability insurance with most rentals and walk away insurance was not that expensive of an add on.
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote